Adding a turbo to the 3.5l | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a turbo to the 3.5l

gideon123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Ltd
I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited w the 3.5l and was curious how much it would cost to turbocharge it like the sport model.

I wanted to buy the sport model but they don't sell them in Korea so any info as to how i would go about this would be great. And I know this will void the warranty but would like to know how much it would cost if i decide to do this in the future.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited w the 3.5l and was curious how much it would cost to turbocharge it like the sport model.

I wanted to buy the sport model but they don't sell them in Korea so any info as to how i would go about this would be great. And I know this will void the warranty but would like to know how much it would cost if i decide to do this in the future.

Thanks
the cost to do that would probably scare the hell out of most people . it takes a heck of a lot more than just slapping on the turbo , tuning it and go . save yourself the money and do cosmetic upgrades and make it the best looking Ex in Korea :thumbsup:

Any decent shop should be able to do it for $8 to $10K
One thing you're not thinking about, buy parts from wrecked Sports, get the manifolds, turbos, intercooler and piping. Upgrade your in tank pump and injectors (same as Mustang) and tune. Easy peasy

Any decent shop should be able to do it for $8 to $10K
One thing you're not thinking about, buy parts from wrecked Sports, get the manifolds, turbos, intercooler and piping. Upgrade your in tank pump and injectors (same as Mustang) and tune. Easy peasy
:eek:

Well to me it's easy, since we've pulled turbos, pipes manifolds on my Flex repeatedly. If you take the stock parts that will fit on the motor you're just bolting on stock parts to the same motor basically.
Easy enough to me!

Well to me it's easy, since we've pulled turbos, pipes manifolds on my Flex repeatedly. If you take the stock parts that will fit on the motor you're just bolting on stock parts to the same motor basically.
Easy enough to me!
the difference is that you do it all the time . the average Joe would have no clue what it would take . the way I see it is that if you are going to all this kind of work , might as well get upgraded turbos and other parts and go from there . I never understood the point of upgrading to OEM parts when you could probably go beyond that for around the same cost . I know , here in El Paso , you can do a large upgrade for about the same cost as an OEM upgrade .

Well making aftermarket manifolds for a one off would be super expensive. I also wouldn't suggest upgraded turbos at $2200 vs $600 for a set of stockers. His motor isn't DI and won't take a ton of boost, big turbos won't help.
If he doesn't know what to do he should find a shop that can do it, I can't as I won't ship overseas but I've give him an idea of where to start and how to get there.
I figure around $1750(turbos and manifolds, IC and ducting) in parts from a stock sport and then buy some downpipes, installing it should be super easy as it should all bolt up like a stock sport.

Well making aftermarket manifolds for a one off would be super expensive. I also wouldn't suggest upgraded turbos at $2200 vs $600 for a set of stockers. His motor isn't DI and won't take a ton of boost, big turbos won't help.
If he doesn't know what to do he should find a shop that can do it, I can't as I won't ship overseas but I've give him an idea of where to start and how to get there.
I figure around $1750(turbos and manifolds, IC and ducting) in parts from a stock sport and then buy some downpipes, installing it should be super easy as it should all bolt up like a stock sport.
not trying to argue with you but earlier you said 8-10k for the job . install , downpipes and tune for $8350.00 :eek:

I was thinking custom from scratch single turbo setup vs buying the stock stuff would be MUCH cheaper.

Hey, is it possible to do a conversion from the stock 3.5L engine to make it nearly identical to the 3.5L ecoboost? As in even go as far to install direct injection or would that require a completely new engine? Ecoboost engines are pretty darn expensive coming from a crate...

Hey, is it possible to do a conversion from the stock 3.5L engine to make it nearly identical to the 3.5L ecoboost? As in even go as far to install direct injection or would that require a completely new engine? Ecoboost engines are pretty darn expensive coming from a crate...
You can get them for around $1500 complete now from junk yards.

Back