Adding Autolamp to 2012 Base Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Autolamp to 2012 Base Explorer

rklavoon

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited 2WD
I was looking to add Autolamp to my 2012 Ford Explorer Base. (Select the switch to "A" on the headlamp dial and the headlights automatically come on when it gets dark out).

I know that I need to order switch part # BB5Z11654AA. That will give me the foglight control and also autolamp.

Question is:

Do I need to add a sensor in the dashboard?

Do I need to add a fuse or relay in the fuse box?

If I need to add a sensor/wire, etc, do you have a part # for it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.....

Yeah, you will need a sensor in the middle front of your dash right under the window. I popped out the cover the other day and stuck my finger in there but didn't feel any connector. There might be one in there that I am not feeling, but if there isn't you would have to run some wiring.

I'd bet you have more than just a switch and sensor to add.

Everything on the Explorer is tied into one computer or another - so just adding a couple components will probably not get you what you want. There is probably a computer setting that would have to be changed, and finding it and finding a dealer who is willing to do something like that could be difficult.

There was a thread in here somewhere that showed some options in the body computer options that dealt with turning on daytime running lights. You may find some more information there.

Back