Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Adding Autolamp to 2012 Base Explorer

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by rklavoon, February 9, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. rklavoon

rklavoon New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Limited 2WD
    I was looking to add Autolamp to my 2012 Ford Explorer Base. (Select the switch to "A" on the headlamp dial and the headlights automatically come on when it gets dark out).

I know that I need to order switch part # BB5Z11654AA. That will give me the foglight control and also autolamp.

Question is:

Do I need to add a sensor in the dashboard?

Do I need to add a fuse or relay in the fuse box?

If I need to add a sensor/wire, etc, do you have a part # for it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ssilence

ssilence New Member

2012 Ford Explorer
    Yeah, you will need a sensor in the middle front of your dash right under the window. I popped out the cover the other day and stuck my finger in there but didn't feel any connector. There might be one in there that I am not feeling, but if there isn't you would have to run some wiring.

4. dco43054

dco43054 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    cmh
    16 XLT
    I'd bet you have more than just a switch and sensor to add.

Everything on the Explorer is tied into one computer or another - so just adding a couple components will probably not get you what you want. There is probably a computer setting that would have to be changed, and finding it and finding a dealer who is willing to do something like that could be difficult.

There was a thread in here somewhere that showed some options in the body computer options that dealt with turning on daytime running lights. You may find some more information there.