Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Adding aux power to inside rear of vehicle?

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by Medic531, June 27, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Medic531

Medic531 Active Member

City, State:
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2019 Explorer 4x4 XLT
    So it looks like the shop im talking to has been lacking in communication with me for five weeks and I have almost lost all confidence in them. I will likely attempt this on my own but need some suggestions or guidance.

I have a 2019 ford explorer xlt and need to bring power from the battery to the rear of the vehicle. I do not want to mess with a tiny pass thru hole in the firewall behind the glove box. My last explorer the shop went from the battery thru the engine compartment and under the vehicle then drilled thru the floor into the vehicle. I am needing at least two lead wires to go from the +batt terminal to under the third row seating area. Everything else should be easy to do but never drilled thru a vehicles floor before. Suggestions? Tools? Types of metals I would be drilling thru?

Thanks for the help !
    Kenny

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    The 2011 XLT had a rear power point. Surprised that the 2019 doesn't.

Peter

4. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    There has to be power to the rear. I would run wiring from the nearest DC power plug and add a new plug wherever needed. I did that with my 1994 Explorer in the cargo area. It works best because its already fused and you don't have to drill any new holes through the firewall.

If you are committed to running a separate wire from the battery to the rear, then..
    Why do you need two wires from the + side of the battery? Just run one heavier gauge wire to the back and split it to what you need.

Need to fuse or put in a relay near the battery, depending upon your expected amp draw.

What are you planning on powering up with the wiring?

What kind of amp draw are you expecting?

I would always chose to run a wire through the firewall and down an existing wiring harness to the rear. Its easier, the wire is less likely to sustain damage, and you don't have to figure out how to run it around all the stuff under there that melts wiring.

5. Medic531

Medic531 Active Member

City, State:
    Moore, Oklahoma
    2019 Explorer 4x4 XLT

I will likely use one wire going from the battery to a terminal ill put in the back then hook everything else up to that terminal. I need to power inverter, communications equipment and switch box.

I dont think power from a 12v cig lighter will work. I need heavy gauge wire.

I have zero ideas on how to get thru the firewall on these newer vehicles. From what I understand its next to impossible to get thru using existing wiring as they are apparently all heavily sealed up as they should be. My 2015 explorer had to be done with the wiring under the vehicle and thru the floor for this reason.

6. Medic531

Medic531 Active Member

City, State:
    Moore, Oklahoma
    2019 Explorer 4x4 XLT
  7. ltdan84

ltdan84 New Member

City, State:
    Liberty Hill, TX
    2016 Explorer Sport
    Hey old thread, you've probably already driller your holes, but just in case you haven't...
    Use an appropriate sized grommet to prevent chaffing of the wire insulation, and then seal the wire with silicone if going through the floor to make sure you don't have any exhaust fumes seep through. You could also drill a hole through the firewall and seal it the same way, then run the wire under the trim. What are you adding that needs so much power, an audio amp?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ElectronFlow

ElectronFlow Ever Have The Feeling You're Being Watched?? Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Georgia
    2013 Explorer PIU 3.7L NA
    @Medic351
    How did your project turn out ?

Itdan84,
    He wanted to run a power inverter at the third row seating.