Adding dashcam. Any tips? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding dashcam. Any tips?

Best way to install front and rear dash cam?

Hi everyone,
I am looking to install a front/rear dash cam. So far I wasnt able to find many so Im just going to try a $50 1080p dual dash cam from ali express. What would be the best way to install this front and rear cams without voiding warranties and such?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bmmz do you have a limited or sport? My hubby was able to hard wire mine into the rear view mirror, however my prior Limited posed a challenge (never done). I don't have a cam for rear, just front.

I can send outside/inside pics of mine if you like.

Let's see if this works from iphone

image.jpg

I will grab a photo and provide the site. I have 3 total and ordered 2 more $80 was total cost. I will send an interior one too

Regarding your dash cam purchase, Aliexpress is not known for a positive customer experience, a Google search for aliexpress.com reviews will show you why.

If you're looking for a quality dash cam here's a comparison of the many that are available.

http://dashcamtalk.com/

My dealer didn't have an issue. But I will share with you that my dashcam is due to the ID10Ts that are on the road. I drive 32 miles one way which seems to be littered with wrong way drivers. Today I had an Excursion trying to check out my ride...he ended up over correcting his steering and if I had not of moved over to center lane, I'd be in jail for choking him out since he would have caused an accident.

But back to the point, our cam is if there is a discrepancy on who had the green light. My hubby's buddy bought a new fusion for his daughter with 24 hours some tweeker side swiped her and threatened if she called police he'd claim it was her fault. So now he's ordering dashcams too. Also the police report was written as both at fault whereas a dashcam would have been evidence.

I will post an interior shot after I leave work

image.jpg
Here ya go interior photo

Wiring Diagram for Rear View mirror

I just bought a dash cam and would love to hard wire it rather than into the 12V plug in the center console.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the rear view mirror of the cable harness in the sunroof controls?

Find a hot wire to tap into that only powers on when ignition is on.

Thanks

Just curious, what explorers owners use a dash cam for? Just record yourself driving?

Just curious, what explorers owners use a dash cam for? Just record yourself driving?

Record the other drivers.... in previous vehicles Ive captured hit and runs, MULTIPLE car accidents and drunk drivers.

The video evidence has always been a great supplement to the law enforcement officers as the camera doesnt lie. Plus sometime you get a great commentary along with it haha

Plus helps with insurance scams

Damn technical stuff.... help out a rookie? Which is a hot wire I can tap into? and a ground......

hahaha Whoops

Damn technical stuff.... help out a rookie? Which is a hot wire I can tap into? and a ground......

The wire that controls hot in ignition is the Gy/Bu wire - that is the wire that will supply voltage in run position. The ground wire will be the black wire. both will come from the mirror harness. When splicing, be sure to disconnect battery first, and use appropriate heat shrink and soldering methods. Are you equipped to do wiring repairs/modifications?

The wire that controls hot in ignition is the Gr/Bu wire - that is the wire that will supply voltage in run position. The ground wire will be the black wire. both will come from the mirror harness. When splicing, be sure to disconnect battery first, and use appropriate heat shrink and soldering methods. Are you equipped to do wiring repairs/modifications?

I do have all the equipment in the garage yes, Wired up Aux lighting and strobes before, but this is my first time splicing into existing harness'

Usually I run new wires from the battery, through the firewall to the dash.

This just seems like an easier method

This may void your warranty, just be aware...

Modifications like this need to be done very carefully, especially in a new vehicle.

Insurance protection. Too many accidents happen and when they do both parties state they had the green light. I have heard too many scenarios of he said/she said. For $80 I have proof of my driving abilities. I also can choose to disclose the camera if I want to.

Our good friend was one of three seperate cars that met in the middle of an intersection - the other drivers claimed their innocence and without witnesses- it looked bad. The dashcam showed who was really at fault. Also google accidents in Russia- the you tube videos show pedestrians throwing themselves on the hoods of vehicles. (Insurance scams)

I just installed an E-Prance 0803 1080P GPS dashcam $93 delivered. Comes with veiwing software, power cords. I bought one with no internal memory and then went to Fry's and bought a 32GB Macro SD card for $10.

This one has superior night vision, lots on You-Tube showing how good it is.

As was mentioned above, having video can make a big difference when insurance adjusters are assessing fault, thats why I got one. This one is so small its hidden behind the mirror.

http://www.amazon.com/E-PRANCE-Recorder-Ambarella-A7LA50D-Upgrade/dp/B00JIPR31C

Dash Cam Hard Wire Install

Hey Guys,

I have a dash cam that I would like to hard wire to come on when the ignition is turn on. It seems the 12v that I would have tapped into is always hot. Has anyone else here tapped into another accessory that turns off and on with the ignition? I need to use the 12v adapter that is included with the camera because that reduces the 12v to 5v. What I did in my other car was to take a cigarette lighter and splice the wires behind my factory one and plug the camera in it.

Has anyone done this before in a 2011 Exp?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some members have tapped into the power of the rearview mirror.

Peter

Back