Adding Police Engine Idle / Secure Idle | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Police Engine Idle / Secure Idle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awe all this reading & I feel like I am just hanging.
Anyone have success with doing it with the 17?
What I am afraid of is that if I bring this PIU to Ford for anything they will kill everything that I change INCLUDING this mod!

Awe all this reading & I feel like I am just hanging.
Anyone have success with doing it with the 17?
What I am afraid of is that if I bring this PIU to Ford for anything they will kill everything that I change INCLUDING this mod!

I ended up taking it to the dealer. They enabled it. I don't know enough to compare the before file and then read it now to see exactly what they changed. As far as I know nothing else I changed was affected by them.

Good afternoon All:

I have a 2016, so this is not an option for me, however I've purchased a few items from Jason at FLVPMods, and he has a program directly on point for this:

17/18/19 PI Utility OEM Police Engine Idle $25.00

He notes that additional hardware/etc. are required for this to work, but all of the items I've purchased from him have worked without any issues.

Hope this helps the discussion along -

nathan

Good afternoon All:

I have a 2016, so this is not an option for me, however I've purchased a few items from Jason at FLVPMods, and he has a program directly on point for this:

17/18/19 PI Utility OEM Police Engine Idle $25.00

He notes that additional hardware/etc. are required for this to work, but all of the items I've purchased from him have worked without any issues.

Hope this helps the discussion along -

nathan
Information like this is VERY helpful
Thanks!

Information like this is VERY helpful
Thanks!
I just found this on another forum.
This does NOT have anything to do with programming or getting a special plate that goes in back of the light switch.
All you do is drill a hole for the momentary switch:

Hello Dennis -

You are correct, and those of use with 2016- vehicles only have what you found (and others from various providers) as an option.

For 2017+, it was an option from Ford, and with the correct hardware and IDS, can be made 'factory-like' with regards to hardware, utilizing the factory programming.

For me, I'm an OE+ kinda guy, so having the factory switches/functionality is something I try to make happen...

nathan

Hello Dennis -

You are correct, and those of use with 2016- vehicles only have what you found (and others from various providers) as an option.

For 2017+, it was an option from Ford, and with the correct hardware and IDS, can be made 'factory-like' with regards to hardware, utilizing the factory programming.

For me, I'm an OE+ kinda guy, so having the factory switches/functionality is something I try to make happen...

nathan
I totally understand ... BUT ... Considering they charged me $150.00 to shut off 'dark mode' so that I could have interior lights I will try to take it to Ford the least amount possible. Now that I know about FORScan I will take things to the next level during the summer months.

AHH - I am now tracking - I found a diesel tuning shop that would work with my IDS programming - I'm with you on not bringing it to the dealer unless absolutely necessary. I have not yet worked with FORscan.

My last car, a CVPI, 'dark car' was enabled/disabled by connecting or disconnecting one wire... I'm sure that my local dealer would have charged me the hour as well for that.

Bump - Lets keep this going. Has anyone officially figured this out yet? I enabled in Forscan and when I press the button, it reads "Police Engine Idle Not Available". My PIU is a 2020. I jumped into FDRS and there were no options available to enable that I could find. It did have an option to "decommission the vehicle" though. Said "Use this application to enable/disable Police Engine Idle". Then when I click on it, it says "If you use this app, Police Engine Idle will be disabled permanently - this can not be undone". So I nopped out of that real fast.

Bump - Lets keep this going. Has anyone officially figured this out yet? I enabled in Forscan and when I press the button, it reads "Police Engine Idle Not Available". My PIU is a 2020. I jumped into FDRS and there were no options available to enable that I could find. It did have an option to "decommission the vehicle" though. Said "Use this application to enable/disable Police Engine Idle". Then when I click on it, it says "If you use this app, Police Engine Idle will be disabled permanently - this can not be undone". So I nopped out of that real fast.
Yes, this feature is apparently "hard-coded" in the body control module and is "greyed out" in IDS. My vehicle is a 2017 PIU, and I keep up hope that someone will figure this out in FORSCAN.

Welcome to the Forum Brent. :wave:

Peter

Yes, this feature is apparently "hard-coded" in the body control module and is "greyed out" in IDS. My vehicle is a 2017 PIU, and I keep up hope that someone will figure this out in FORSCAN.
That's so weird to me. A couple people mentioned that they enabled it via IDS for your generation PIU. Have you tried doing that yet? I've tried finding it in FDRS (2020+ doesn't support IDS) but was unsuccessful. But I have IDS and it looks pretty straight forward. I don't have my 2016 anymore or I would try it on that.

I'd be curious to talk with the person who added the option to Forscan. There has to be a reason why it hasn't been removed from the spreadsheet.

I installed the factory button/switch on mine, and originally when I pressed it it didn't do anything. But after I enabled it it Forscan, when I press the button it says "Police Engine Idle Not Available". So something changed. Even though it didn't work, the BCM knows it's there. That to me is promising.

20220727_212603.jpg 20220727_210240.jpg

FORScan 2011-2018 Explorers shows a BCM address to enable the feature, and mentions that without an Intelligent Access key you need to add a switch.

Does anyone have information about how to wire the switch?

I am also curious if this physically prevents the column shifter from being moved or if it simply kills the engine if the you attempt to move the shifter. There does not seem to be a whole lot of information out there.
Secure-Idle Ignition Override System – SirenWorld.com

I am setting up my 2017 for a First Responder's vehicle and leaving it running with the radio and lights on is something that would be advantageous to me. I brought it to Ford and the head mechanic (smart ass) said if you want to be a cop go to school because this feature is only for the police. Gotta love these idiots around here. NOT

Back