Adding PWR seats and Overhead Console to my `92 XL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding PWR seats and Overhead Console to my `92 XL

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
I was the winning bidder on some Grey Leather Limited Seats. All 4 seats for $120 (plus $225 S&H! ouch) But for $345, I still feel it was a good deal.

If it was an option on my X, I didn't get it.

With that said, how hard is it to install the PWR Seat wires into my X? Is there a connector that just plugs in on ALL X's, or do I have to run all new wiring for them?

I'm gonna go to the wrecking yard today and grab some parts.....and take a mental inventory of what they have.....

I have a `92 X built 8/91. I want to have an overhead console. Do I have the proper 'mount' for it? Or do I have to grab that too?

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search for overhead console and you will find tons of info. on it. They weren't made for overhead consoles until '93 so you will have to do some modification and cutting of sheet metal for it to install right. Someone installed one in his '92 though so it can be done. Grab the mounting bracket and pull out as much as the wiring harness it's wired into as you can. Also down lown in front of the raditor towards the driver side of the vehicle is the temp. senor for the overhead console. It's kind of cigar shaped with a nipple on the end. Get that and a bunch of the wiring harness for that. When you search for it you should find a picture of the temp. sensor.

okay.....

I did a search, and I can't find any pictures of the 'cigar' shaped sensor I need. All the pics, and write-up lead to dead URL's. Even the RPS write-up is useless with out the pictures.

Ryan

I just did this. There is supposed to be a plug somwhere under the dash for models that didnt come with power seats, However I didnt use it or could find it. I just ran my own wire from the battery to the passenger seat and than split it there to the drivers seat. If you do it this way dont forget to fuse the line near the battery.

I added the overhead console today, and installed my seats. Looks AWESOME!

I need to get the OHC wired, and I need to get my seats wired, but they are 'close' to what I would set it for, so it's okay until I get it wired up.

Ryan

OHC Help

Spdrcer34,
Got any tips on wiring up that OHC? I just got one with the complete harness, is there a plug under the dash for my harness? Also, interested in the cutting of the headliner, how did you know where to line up the OHC for cutting and having the correct alignment of the holes?

I used the write-up on "The Ranger Station" website. The write-up is really good.

As for the seats (my leather Limited w/ Seat Memory), instead of robbing the whole seat track (rails?) from another Power Seat, I just took the in-seat wiring harness from an Eddie Bauer (EB's didn't have Memory Seats, that I know of) and installed it in place of the Memory Module and wiring in the Limited Seat I already had. It is VERY straight forward, and easy. The 'hardest' part of doing the swap was removing all the wiring from the Limited Seat, and 'building' an extension for the Lumbar button, as the EB wiring wasn't long enough. When I take the seats BACK out to install the carpet, I'll take pics and post them somehow.

Ryan

Back