• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start

Token57634

Reaction score
City, State
Novi, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT 4WD
Since I ordered my XLT before remote start was an available option, I'm going to have to get it installed aftermarket. I haven't even started looking yet, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has two plug and play options available. One is the option that is now available on the XLT I assume. Exactly how they plug and play, I don't know. I'm guessing they install inline on a harness somewhere.

BB5Z-19G364-E Bi-Directional
BB5Z-19G364-A- 4-Button, RPO Style (w/o Power Liftgate, w/Power Locks)

Buttons, and the bi-directional will confirm to the remote that it indeed started.

The 4 button is not available with power liftgate. There is a forthcoming five button remote for that.

Dealer cost on the 4 button is ~$152 and ~$209 on the bi-directional.

Personally I am looking at the viper smart start. 399 installed and you can use your smart phone to lock, start or use the panic. I love the idea of asking for my check at dinner and using the phone to start the car to warm up!

Personally I am looking at the viper smart start. 399 installed and you can use your smart phone to lock, start or use the panic. I love the idea of asking for my check at dinner and using the phone to start the car to warm up!

Reviews are sketchy, and it's something like $35/year for service on top of the unit cost.

Love the idea. Just not something I need yet. It seems they keep improving (as with all new tech).

If I can find the wiring diagram I'll probably bite on the Bi-Directional and install it myself. I'm pretty sure the dealer's parts department will print these out for me.

uniquename, do you have experience installing remote start kits? Basically locating wires and tapping into them, mounting the module (antenna?), hood switch and programming the system?

If I can find the wiring diagram I'll probably bite on the Bi-Directional and install it myself. I'm pretty sure the dealer's parts department will print these out for me.

uniquename, do you have experience installing remote start kits? Basically locating wires and tapping into them, mounting the module (antenna?), hood switch and programming the system?

It's been years, but I'll likely install myself also. Assuming I ever get my explorer, I will document my install. I'm not sure we will need a hood pin, depends on what's there.

Also, if this is truly plug and play, it could be incredibly easy to install.

I have had good luck with the Ford remote starts over the years. I have their aftermarket versions in both my Focus and Flex. They work well.

Chris

Ah I did not know it had a yearly fee.

Thanks for the suggestions! Those with experience with the Ford remote starters, how responsive is it? The majority of our use for it will be from home and at work. It's definitely less than 1000 feet from the office to the parking lot, but is a wall going to get in the way? Will I actually need to walk over to the window on that side of the building to get it to start up? I'm lazy, so I'll pay a little extra for the convenience of not having to get out of my chair to start my Ex.

Since I ordered my XLT before remote start was an available option, I'm going to have to get it installed aftermarket. I haven't even started looking yet, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Hey!

Have you checked out FordAccessoriesStore.com? They have a Ford remote start system. Here are the details:

"Enjoy the comfort and convenience of a pre-warmed or pre-cooled vehicle. This handy Ford system can start/stop the engine from up to 300 ft. (distance may vary depending on location and environment). Parking lights flash to acknowledge command is received, and then remain on during the remote-start run time, which is customer-programmable. Automatically activates heated/cooled seats and sets the heater or air conditioner to 72 degrees on the dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control – if so equipped. Features Remote Keyless Entry, Car Find and Panic functions. Includes one key fob. Dealer installation recommended; no splicing necessary. NOTE: Available only for vehicles with an automatic transmission and power door locks, and without a power liftgate. Remote Start Hood Switch Kit (BT4Z-19G366-A) required if your Explorer is not equipped with a factory-installed hood switch."

...which can be found at this link http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/catalog.do?prodInfo=Explorer~2011~BB5Z_19G364_A.

You can find this and other accessories on this online store, as well as request installation quotes from your local Ford dealers. I hope that this helps, enjoy your Wednesday!

Seni

Viper SmartStart without security is 299.00 installed at BestBuy but be warned about a couple things:

1. BestBuy installers, some are good and some aren't and this is one item you have to be good at doing. Traditionally the local stereo installers have more specialized people that are installers IMO.

2. Installed price you see at BestBuy does not include the immobilizer bypass which is going to add at least 100.00 for really the only one out there right now. Ford changed in 2011 to 80bit and I believe you will need the iDatalink ADS-AL CA. They may up the install fee to add for this labor as well.

3. If you get one with Security, you cannot use the keypad or the factory fobs because they will not disarm the Viper system. I would buy the standalone one I mentioned above to work with the existing keyless.

Hope this helps.
Scott

I have the ford remote system ,in my Flex ,and also had it in my t bird ,works great ,they put the reciever for the starter in the centre of the windshield right at the top. It looks fine and works beautifully.

Another note. Be sure to read the reviews on the Viper systems with the remote start via your smartphone. They seem to be getting very bad reviews.

Also, I've been told by every dealer that I've talked to over the last few days that installing an aftermarket remote start system will void the warranty on the electrical system. May just be a ploy to sell their system, but worth noting. With there being so many gadgets in the new Explorers, I'd hate to void my warranty.

I like the idea of being able to use my android to start the car from anywhere, but am a bit concerned about the negative reviews out there. I've got some time before I need it installed now that it's warming up here. I know some places that do the install will guarantee any repair to the electrical if something goes wrong, but I would still be concerned with the amount of technology on the Ex. I have the power liftgate, so I think I'll go with the bi-directional if I choose the Ford remote start, which is what I'm leaning toward now.

Another note. Be sure to read the reviews on the Viper systems with the remote start via your smartphone. They seem to be getting very bad reviews.

Also, I've been told by every dealer that I've talked to over the last few days that installing an aftermarket remote start system will void the warranty on the electrical system. May just be a ploy to sell their system, but worth noting. With there being so many gadgets in the new Explorers, I'd hate to void my warranty.

It's against the law (Federal Law) for an after market accessory to void the factory warranty. If the dealer can prove that the after market accessory was the cause of a failure, the repair will not be covered under warranty but it will not just void your warranty all together.

I had the Viper Smart Start on my Ram truck for two years. I was an early adopter and it was lacking a key feature (two way confirmation) which was added about a year later.

Now when you start your vehicle, you get a confirmation that it actually started.

There were a couple of times my vehicle failed to start but compared to the hundreds that it did, I really liked the product!

If they have an interface module that will allow me to keep every feature of the factory intelligent access, then I will be adding it to my new explorer when it comes in.

The one feature I lost on my RAM truck was when you used the factory remote start, the heated/cooled seats would come on automatically but with the Viper system, only the car would start but the heated/cooled seats would not come on.

I'm not giving up that feature this time around. Full functionality or nothing!

I got the plug and play installed yesterday (finally...backorder). Love it! I am very happy I didn't go aftermarket. This is on my key (I got two new keys included with the fourth button), and it adds a menu under vehicle settings. Nice integration, and no extra fob.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the plug and play installed yesterday (finally...backorder). Love it! I am very happy I didn't go aftermarket. This is on my key (I got two new keys included with the fourth button), and it adds a menu under vehicle settings. Nice integration, and no extra fob.

So the remote start system doesn't add anything to your key, but is just a larger key? That is great and different than what they show on the website. How much did they charge?

Back