Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Adding Running Boards Need Input

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by mfitz725, September 27, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. mfitz725

mfitz725 '99 Limited in NC Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Albemarle NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 Limited 4x4 4.0 SOHC
    I was in the salvage yard today picking up a few things for my 94 XLT. I came across a 94 Eddie Bauer with a set of running boards. I am sure I could get them for a song but am not sure what would be involved in installing on my vehicle. Does anybody have any experience or advise? I would really love to have them I so hope someone can give me some input.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    If they're the factory running boards that look like they're part of the body, I'd suggest you skip it. Those had such a design that they caused quick and excessive rust to the rocker panels.

4. mfitz725

mfitz725 '99 Limited in NC Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Albemarle NC
    '99 Limited 4x4 4.0 SOHC
    They are factory and the vehicle their on is in excellent shape, other than being hit on the front. Here in GA I'm not too worried about rocker rust, it's rarely seen unless the car came from up north. I can get these for $20 each. Anybody else familiar with installing these?

5. DeliciousKeki

DeliciousKeki Member

94' EB X
    You would have to have the same pegholes in your rockers, or drill out your own holes, theres like 20-30 holes on each side that hold it in as well as a couple screws at the ends.

I don't find much purpose for them so I would skip it really. When I bought my Eddie Bauer it had those and when I took them off it was just nothing but rust so I ended up having to cut it all out and roll what was left.

6. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    My point was more along the lines of that the running boards will be fine but installing them on your vehicle may prematurely rot out your rocker panels. Many people like DeliciousKeki above remove theirs to find pure rust underneath. Maybe painting yours or filling the holes with foam or something might prevent that.

Last edited: September 28, 2015
  7. DeliciousKeki

DeliciousKeki Member

94' EB X
    If you do decide to add the boards, be sure to add some type of sealant between the board and the rockers to prevent water from reaching the rockers and rusting out. I also would build my own brackets to install them instead of using the stock design with all the pegholes.

8. ghosttrain2

ghosttrain2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnemucca,NV
    1994 XLT
    My '94 already has the threaded holes on the backside of the rockers, for running boards.

We Support Our Troops!