Adding the 110 outlet on the second row console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding the 110 outlet on the second row console

donm527

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hi,

Now that I have my XLT... just thinking a few practical mods if possible.

I liked some of the features on the Limited like the 110 outlet in second row and wondering if anyone has looked into it. I'm hoping the wiring harness is universal and just needing to replace the console panel with the 110 outlet and hoot up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, continuing to dig on my own...

searching the forums I believe the concensus here is that the XLT has the same 200 amp alternator that the Limited has so no replacement alternator needed.

would be interesting if just a plug and play upgrade... great to have that 110 for accessories for tailgate party or whatever.

hopefully to be continued.

You'll likely find it easier to go that route in getting an aftermarket plug and play 110 ac adapter.

You need to look, however, at what you intend on plugging in and then the draw of the 110 converter. A lot of the 12v outlets in cars are designed for low voltage accessories and use thin braided wires. If you plug in that 110 ac adapter to it it will likely not be able to draw the power it needs and simply may not work. I ran into that with a converter in the back of my Tahoe. It ran some things but say a charger for my 18v Dewalt batteries would not work.

The first question to answer is how Ford is creating 120V and if that circuitry is installed in the non-Limited models. If not, then I'm pretty sure the low wattage aftermarket inverters would be much, much cheaper than activating the OEM outlet, even though the OEM outlet is a nice clean look.

Back