adrenalin AWD transfer case ?'s | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adrenalin AWD transfer case ?'s

I've been intrigued by this question too, but i don't think so. I believe the low range planetary is actually a center differential. With the 4410's, you had a center differential (planetary gear set) and a viscous clutch. I think the current AWD they keep the diff and replaced viscous with a shift motor or a magnetic clutch. With the 4WD and shift motor you don't need the a differential planetary so it becomes a low range planetary. Only way to know for sure is to get a service manual or break on down. This way the AWD transfer case can hook up to stability control which will engage 4wd to help control the vehicle. so the theory goes.

One way to test is to get all 4 tires off the ground, put it in gear. On my AWD 4410 all tires start and spin at the same time. I'm guessing the 4wd the rears would start to spin (about a half revolution or so) then the fronts would kick in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.. my sport trac definetly has the 4412 4wd transfer case with low range.. see pic in the first post.

I am guessing that even thou the same housing, the AWD does not have the low range gears in the drive train.

And I tested it by removing the shift motor, turning the range selector does put the case into low range or neutral.

very very intresting. . just to throw another thing out there. I picked up an AWD mounty.
here is a pic of the xfr case, no shift motor, just an electrical connector. Which on mine proves its still a center diff with an electromagnetic clutch rather than the viscous. per the service manual that shows the center planetary and clutch.

Attachments

• 003sm.jpg
    003sm.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 704

So many different combinations, its strange. It appears that is the 4412 TC without a shift motor installed? Can you see anything where range selector should be? I'v thought about just removing the shift motor since it's basically dead weight right now on my truck, but I'm not sure if there is a part that can be installed in it's place to keep the range selector in one position, which the shift motor is doing currently...

just bought a 4wd module from a 2010 4wd truck, should have it tomorrow. Will follow up if it will allow me to shift into low range..

its just filled in, no plug or anything. Interesting the heat shield is made for the motor.
I'm thinking its not modified 4412, but a complete different xfr case. The FSM does show a planetary. The 4410 also has the planetary and a viscous clutch on my '04 AWD. From appearance its similar to the 4410 but instead of a viscous clutch it was replaced with a electromagnetic clutch. Which makes sense as RSC, stuff activates the 4wd system.

I think you could swap in the AWD case, . . .not sure how the programming would work.

strike 3... and I'm done. after multiple attempts to figure this out, it's just not worth the hassle.

what I have found is that the programming difference seems to be in the cluster, and possibly that is the only difference. Plugging in a 4x4 module that was programmed and used in a 4wd explorer did not change anything. The dash mounted buttons did not work, but I could still lock the transfer case into 4wd high thru the cluster menu.

strike 3... and I'm done. after multiple attempts to figure this out, it's just not worth the hassle.

what I have found is that the programming difference seems to be in the cluster, and possibly that is the only difference. Plugging in a 4x4 module that was programmed and used in a 4wd explorer did not change anything. The dash mounted buttons did not work, but I could still lock the transfer case into 4wd high thru the cluster menu.

This is clearly an old topic, but an interesting one nonetheless... What if the ECU was changed along with all the other parts mentioned?

I think the key is to swap in a gauge cluster from a V8 4x4 Sport Trac/Explorer that was initialized as a 2 speed system. From what I understand, the adrenalin gauge cluster was programmed as a 1 speed system when we have all the hardware for a 2 speed system. I think the 4x4 module behind the glovebox is even the same. Another thing that goes along with my theory is that ford offered a neutral tow kit for sport tracs, even the adrenalins!

I have mostly given up on this. I'm just not sure if you can simply plug in a gauge cluster from another truck with a different vin, mileage, etc and not have any other unexpected problems.

I'v been tempted to take a dealer 'test drive' on a '10 explorer v8 4x4, and do a little parts swapping to experiment, but with my luck i would end up messing something up, probably a bad idea. I don't know anyone with a similar model year explorer v8 either...

I was hesitant as well not having the low range. I believe the only reason they did this is due to the 20" wheels. they didnt want folks going off-road and by marketing as AWD and no low range, that kind of markets it more street based. I think there was mention of the wheels in the manual and not going off-road. this is just my gut opinion but i think there is some validity.

You are correct sir. The t-case is the same but locking into 4-Hi and 4-Low are disabled so as not to tempt people into 'froading with the big wheels. It just runs all the time like a regular 4x4 Trac where it is in 2wd until the computer detects wheelspin, then the front axle and/or traction control kicks in. They do not run in AWD or 4WD all the time.

I have mostly given up on this. I'm just not sure if you can simply plug in a gauge cluster from another truck with a different vin, mileage, etc and not have any other unexpected problems.

I'v been tempted to take a dealer 'test drive' on a '10 explorer v8 4x4, and do a little parts swapping to experiment, but with my luck i would end up messing something up, probably a bad idea. I don't know anyone with a similar model year explorer v8 either...

My father has owned an auto body shop for the past 30 years, and needless to say I've seen almost every type of repair/restoration you can think of. I have seen many gauge clusters swapped out of other vehicles of the same make, and it really doesn't affect anything. The mileage is stored in the computer of the vehicle, not the cluster. I doubt the cluster has anything to do with this mod, but you've clearly looked into this a lot more than me, so who really knows...

Ok bump from the future I know this thread has been dead for very for a very long time. But I just bought myself a sport trac adrenalin it only has 97000 miles but when my truck is up on the lift and start letting go of the brake the rear wheels start spinning if I keep letting go on the brake, clunk from the transfer case and the front wheels start spinning. It happens on the road but it's not as frequent as it is on the lift. I have the 4412 transfer case but cannot find a viscous coupling anywhere. I'd like to go new but if I can't even find one how am I going to fix my truck from not breaking one day....

I wondering if anyone with an adrenalin has ever tried a shiftster?

715562: Shiftster - Manual Shifting Knob for Electric Borg Warner Transfer Cases | Advance Adapters

I know it would be a pain in the butt but to at least experiment and see if it does function and a true 4x4.

Im currently looking at Sport Trac's and would love to purchase an adrenalin as I prefer the looks but of course I would lift it.... but it needs to have true 4x4 with low range for the beach. Without it I can not get a beach pass.

i've thought about buying one of those but haven't... you would have to crawl under and shift it and then hold down the traction control button for 10 seconds or so to fully turn it off I think... I did remove the shift motor and turned the shaft on the transfer case, it has a distinct click as it goes into neutral and low range, im sure adrenalins have it... im sure there's a way to enable 4x4 low with a ford scan tool or even Forscan but i haven't had the time to keep messing with it!

Update... I used Forscan to reconfigure the Instrument Panel, and was able to get it set to how a standard 4x4 truck is programmed I think. This change removed the AWD Locked menu option from the Setup menu. It also enabled the 4X4 Auto and 4X4 High buttons that I added to the dash.

Top blue lines are the Adrenalin As-Built data for my truck, bottom green lines are the As-Built data for a 2010 Limited 4x4 Sport Trac..

upload_2018-9-24_13-39-47.png

Now on to Low range.... after making this change, pressing the Low Range button would cause the 4x4 crontrol module behind the glove box to click away. I could hear the relays trying to do their thing to shift into low range. However nothing happened at the shift motor. So far I have removed the shift motor and opened it all up, cleaned it, etc (its basically brand new, never been used) but it still is not doing anything.

My next step is to put a meter on the contacts down at the shift motor to see if anything is happening there, and go from there...

I Hey 06Bluez...I took a quick look at my manual...even though the transfer case is similar on the outside, it appears the internals may be a bit different.

Screenshot

Screenshot

However, I've never worked on mine or pulled one apart.

I hope your conversion succeeds though!

Thanks for the documents John. I am 100% sure that the adrenalin's have the 2 speed transfer case though. I have even removed the transfer case shift motor and manually turned the selector into low range! See the pic in my first post, it shows the shift motor, which is only shown in your second link of the two speed case...

hoping to have time this weekend to continue this quest.. I have only been working on this for 6 years, hope i figure it out before I buy a new truck... haha

06bluez, you are the bravest most persistent person on this forum. Good luck in your quest. I'll follow this until the end. Then after you do all the work I'll read all about it. I don't know if I'll ever do what your are doing but it does give cause for thought and makes good reading.Wish I had some more to offer.
Thanks and good luck again
Kent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back