• Register Today It's free!

AdvanceTrac Disable

rustylugnut

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Premier V8 AWD
I was trying to disable AdvanceTrac (ESC) in a 2020 Explorer Limited by holding the TCS button for 5+ seconds and I was getting no response besides a TCS off message.
I'm now reading the owners manual and it seems to state that holding the TCS button to disable the AdvanceTrac only works in the Explorer ST. It's somewhat vague about it though.
Can any ST or non-ST owners shed some light on this? I hope I was just doing something wrong.
It seems I must resort to pulling an ABS fuse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where do you see that this only works on the ST. From what I've read, it is not model dependent. Holding the button down for 5+ seconds seems to disable both ESC and TC. Page 217.

Peter

Where do you see that this only works on the ST. From what I've read, it is not model dependent. Holding the button down for 5+ seconds seems to disable both ESC and TC. Page 217.

Peter
Page 216 has two entries on "Using Stability Control", one that pertains to "Base Model" and one that pertains to "ST Model"
Under "Base Model" it states that ESC can not be switched off. Under "ST Model" it only states that Traction Control can be disabled independently.
Then on page 217 is the ESC Features chart which shows that holding the TCS button for 5 seconds disables stability control, despite the previous page stating that ESC cannot be switched off on non-ST models. This is the source of my confusion.
I wasn't able to disable AdvanceTrac in a non-ST. Pretty disappointing.

Okay, I see that now. I guess "base" model refers to all but the ST. In any case, ESC is a very important feature on these vehicles.

Peter

Okay, I see that now. I guess "base" model refers to all but the ST. In any case, ESC is a very important feature on these vehicles.

Peter
ESC definitely is important, but it completely puts an end to the fun the instant things get sideways. No bueno. I'm trying to put this new RWD platform through its paces.

ESC is not able to be turned off in base models or RWD ST models. It’s also not able to be turned off in the RWD Aviator. Only the AWD ST allows complete disabling of the system.

ESC definitely is important, but it completely puts an end to the fun the instant things get sideways. No bueno. I'm trying to put this new RWD platform through its paces.
You can turn Traction Control OFF if that helps.

Peter

Back