Advice after I removed roof from 05 mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice after I removed roof from 05 mountaineer

Let me first start by saying I have 0 experience with body work. #

Much to my wife's dismay I have started a project with our 2005 mountaineer. #It 's has over 200 000 miles and needs some mechanical work. But I have been bored so....tough ts are to remove roof (check) next body, roll cage lift wheels.

Any advice on the best way to reform the walls

I am geographically challenged (wall mart is 80 miles away)

I have pictures. Will email if you'd like

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you did what?
and WHY?

Reform what walls?

I dont understand what information you are seeking.

I am sooooo confused. This is either a typo or something epic this way comes

Pictures...lots of pictures please.

walls and pics

I cant post pictures here - i can email the ones i have if you provide an email

walls - how do i fill where i cut- currently i have a big hole at the top of the rear quarter on both sides from the back door to the tail gate - like i said im brand new at this so maybe im saying the wrong things.

the sides need a top - sheet metal, fiber glass, something ive had a few thoughts but not sure whats best?

please, stop, put down the tools, and slowly back away and punch yourself for destroying a $5000 vehicle. In fact, check yourself into the Betty Ford clinic for drug abusers, because obviously you were high when you decided to do this.

Several people on there have done the same thing in the past. You have several options to make a cover to go over it and the easiest might be using some diamond plate aluminum and bending it to shape. Good luck and I hope it turns out for you. Don't be discouraged by people that have no vision and the nerve to try! Not everyone would go for making an off road toy out of a daily driver but if you can spare having it as the daily driver why not!

I was tough on the OP due to the fact he admitted he has never done this and has no clue what he is doing. It could turn into a safety issue. I applaud the effort, but I believe that he is way over his head.

maybe

I amy be over my head, but its worth a shot, i was offered $750.00 on trade 2 years ago guessing due to the mileage and the roof rusting thanks to the aluminum roof and paint not being up to specs from ford. was quoted around a grand to replace heater / AC. so the vehicle didnt have the value you believe it had.

not to worry not going to hurt my feelings. ill keep yall posted.

Im a believer that if you read, and do things right anything can be accomplished.

ive seen the others so time will tell.

Ummmm. Wow.
Okay.

Okay for starters, that looks really, really really, rad.

Secondly, from this point going forward, realize this. There are SERIOUS safety and reliability issues at stake. There really is no correct way to do this without some safety compromise.

If you had cut a bit higher on the quarters you could have saved yourself some headache.

Your doors are "Okay" I would simply trace the openings with cardboard and cut caps to fit. I would make them so they slide into the openings. Do you know what I mean?
Its going to be a LOT of work. Semi thin metal would be okay I guess. Weld them all the way and make sure you coat the insides with corrosion protection when you are done welding.

Now the quarters......
I feel like you should reinforce them a bit. I like Texas idea of diamond plate. Tying that into the structure might be a bit of a challenge.
Maybe regular steel might be the easier option come to think of it. I have never tried to bend diamond plate so I don't know how much of a nightmare that might be. ( Not that this project isn't already a nightmare and then some )

Let me know how else I can help you.

BTW that is a pretty view, where was that picture taken ?

I think you've compromised the structural integrity of your Mounty. I wouldn't be surprised if the state eventually catches up with you and stamps your title "SALVAGE".

You have compromised the seat belt anchoring system (shoulder belts), the windshield is unsupported, I assume the lift gate is completely gone (and with it the structural stiffening in the rear), etc.

Do you plan on using this for off-road only? If not, good luck in getting/keeping it registered. You mentioned a roll cage....if you install it correctly, you can restore the structure.

At this point, I think you're stuck with a rock crawler, never to hum down the highway again.

You mentioned a roll cage?

You could do something like this

019.jpg

And have a real good ( better than mine) top made to cover

IMG_1983.jpg

You'll need to make some sort of support for the sides though.

P.S. my wife really misses that white truck, and likes the looks of your convertible. What's done is done, but it can be made cool again.

Back