Advice Needed: 2014 Sport or wait for the 2015 Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice Needed: 2014 Sport or wait for the 2015 Sport?

lulabellejenkins

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Infinity G35X
Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and new to appreciating Ford Explorers. I currently drive an Infinity G35X, but we need extra room as our family continues to grow. We looked at Tahoes/Yukons for a long time and I decided to check the explorer out. I love the sport model and was just about to buy a brand new 2014 sport when I did a little research on the 2015 sport.

I really like the design (or concept car?) that I found on the web, but Ford hasn't begun marketing them yet.

From what a dealership told me, you can still order 2014s until early May and then they take a break for 2-3 weeks prior to allowing you to order 2015s in early June.

Does anyone else know if this is accurate? If so, when do you think they'll release pricing? I'd hate to miss the opportunity for a 2014 if they are going to jack the price up considerably.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks, in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread to the 2011-2015 Stock Explorer Discussion Forum. :salute:

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and new to appreciating Ford Explorers. I currently drive an Infinity G35X, but we need extra room as our family continues to grow. We looked at Tahoes/Yukons for a long time and I decided to check the explorer out. I love the sport model and was just about to buy a brand new 2014 sport when I did a little research on the 2015 sport.

I really like the design (or concept car?) that I found on the web, but Ford hasn't begun marketing them yet.

From what a dealership told me, you can still order 2014s until early May and then they take a break for 2-3 weeks prior to allowing you to order 2015s in early June.

Does anyone else know if this is accurate? If so, when do you think they'll release pricing? I'd hate to miss the opportunity for a 2014 if they are going to jack the price up considerably.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks, in advance!!

I think what you're being told is inaccurate. The order date cutoff for a 2014 was a few weeks ago but it got extended to April 3 (yesterday). Maybe something changed... I do know the 2015 order banks have been open a couple of weeks. I went back and forth on this topic as well and decided 2015 was better for me as I flip vehicles fairly often and a model year newer + a few of the new things will make it wash out fairly even at trade in time.

Pricing for the 2015's if of course out too - your dealer has it. Sounds like that dealer didn't want to get it for you. I haven't found the pricing anyplace beyond my dealer at this point and I have not found incentive info for 2015 Explorers.

Hope that helps.

not much changed between the 14 and 15. You basically get some new color options, color matched door handles, tow package is included, and power fold rear I believe. Same overall looks and such.

I had been told the price for the 15 went up slightly to account for the added features but my dealer could have been lying to get the 14 off the lot.

You also have to take into account that incentives are not on the 15 right now so you "lose" those funds as well.

I was torn about this last week before I decided to grab my 14. Door handles and the dark grey were not enough for me to wait and pay more money...

I'd wait long enough till you could get a great deal on a 2014 Highlander.....Plum

We did a lot of research as well, my neighbor bought one last summer and loves it. Spoke to many others who also love there vehicles. We ordered a 2014 Black Sport on March 3rd and are expecting to pick it up on the 15th. Highlander would be my last choice personally behind Jeep and Acadia.

Jeep was my second choice as I had a Grand Cherokee but couldn't beat the price on the sport. I really miss the gas tank though. The sport has a range of perhaps 300 miles vs the 450-500 of the grand Cherokee.

That said I like the interior and features on the Ford a lot better. people complain about the sync system have obviously never used uconnect on the Jeeps. I hated it...

There isn't enough of a change from 14-15 to justify waiting 3-4 months unless you don't need it right now and you plan to keep it a longer duration and the 2015 MY will make a competitive difference at sale. I ordered a 2014 Ex sport on 2/24/14 and pick it up in a week.

If you are picky it is too late to order 2014 and inventory is quite low. But if you find one with options you like, i wouldn't wait. However, I am structuring my lease to end in July next time so i can get the latest MY.

just my 2 cents,
db

I think what you're being told is inaccurate. The order date cutoff for a 2014 was a few weeks ago but it got extended to April 3 (yesterday). Maybe something changed... I do know the 2015 order banks have been open a couple of weeks. I went back and forth on this topic as well and decided 2015 was better for me as I flip vehicles fairly often and a model year newer + a few of the new things will make it wash out fairly even at trade in time.

Pricing for the 2015's if of course out too - your dealer has it. Sounds like that dealer didn't want to get it for you. I haven't found the pricing anyplace beyond my dealer at this point and I have not found incentive info for 2015 Explorers.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! Weird. I've called all the dealers in my city and no one seems to have any pricing information? With as difficult as 2014's are to track down, you'd think they'd want to pre-sell 2015s. It seems crazy.

There isn't enough of a change from 14-15 to justify waiting 3-4 months unless you don't need it right now and you plan to keep it a longer duration and the 2015 MY will make a competitive difference at sale. I ordered a 2014 Ex sport on 2/24/14 and pick it up in a week.

If you are picky it is too late to order 2014 and inventory is quite low. But if you find one with options you like, i wouldn't wait. However, I am structuring my lease to end in July next time so i can get the latest MY.

just my 2 cents,
db

Thank you! I am picky. While you're probably right, I just like the aesthetics of the 2015 slightly better, especially the rear and the top (is it all glass?). I'd pay a premium for a 2015, but would. Although not ideal, we can make my current car stretch for another few months if its worth it. I guess we shall see.

Agree with DB, inventory for Sport is very low and dealers won't trade other dealers because they can move them quickly. Some dealers in Seattle area actually mark up prices over MSRP. I refuse to even shop at these locations. We ordered second row buckets with pass through which seem to be few and far between.

Thank you! I am picky. While you're probably right, I just like the aesthetics of the 2015 slightly better, especially the rear and the top (is it all glass?). I'd pay a premium for a 2015, but would. Although not ideal, we can make my current car stretch for another few months if its worth it. I guess we shall see.

There are no design differences for the sport except for the few new colors and the color matched door handles. I think you re looking at the prototypes that might be the 2016 when the model is up for redesign.

See this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404433

Honestly with the redesign coming in 2016 there is no sense in waiting from a value sense. The second the new design comes out you will take a hit to the value and if you are in the market now you would take a double hit ordering the 15 by missing out on the incentives on the 14.

Agree with SOULPATCH. The picture floating around on the web of a redesigned 2015 is really that of a prototype.

New MY 2015 has very minor changes. If you are leasing not worth waiting for.

Again my 2 cents
db

That picture floating around is for the explorer america concept from about 5-6 years ago. 2015 is only going to add standard tow pkg, power fold 3rd row, body color door handles and a new gray color. Pricing is not yet available for the 2015 as of right now, I don't expect it to change much, maybe a few hundred dollars. They can't go up too much otherwise they're going to price themselves out of the market.

I'd wait long enough till you could get a great deal on a 2014 Highlander.....Plum

Do you ever have anything positive to say on here? The OP asked about a 14 or 15 Explorer, not a highlander.

Back