• Register Today It's free!

After market Chips for a 91x?

Joegun7

Reaction score
City, State
Sunny Las Vegas NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 2wd xlt
:navajo: Hey i was just checking out Dead Link Removed parts and was looking into chips for a 91 2wd manual xlt x. It gives me two options. they both seam to install in seperate places?? Heres the two it brought up. the first and one i'm kinda leaning towards is the HYP-615721 and the second prob just as good (?) :confused: is the JET-89104 . (you have to copy and paste the part numbers into the summit search window) so if you could recomend one you guys think would give me better over all performance; or if you guys have total different chips that you recommend it would be greatly appreceited! Thanks! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joegun7 said:
:navajo: Hey i was just checking out Dead Link Removed parts and was looking into chips for a 91 2wd manual xlt x. It gives me two options. they both seam to install in seperate places?? Heres the two it brought up. the first and one i'm kinda leaning towards is the HYP-615721 and the second prob just as good (?) :confused: is the JET-89104 . (you have to copy and paste the part numbers into the summit search window) so if you could recomend one you guys think would give me better over all performance; or if you guys have total different chips that you recommend it would be greatly appreceited! Thanks! :)

For the best info on chipping, contact Doug Studdard at http://www.bamachips.com/

Good luck .......

Thanks aldive!

aldive said:
For the best info on chipping, contact Doug Studdard at http://www.bamachips.com/

Good luck .......

Can he make a chip for a OBD-I computer? I thought all his stuff was for OBD-II.

He can burn them for OBD-1, but I don't think he recommmends it. Creager said something about there only being 4 variables to tune with an OBD 1 as oppposed to around 30 with OBD II, so the OBD II chips have a much greater affect on performance.

Hey guys so i talked to Doug and he told me this long answer lol but over all i guess the chip i'd need is really hard to get the codes right with my x. lol or something. so i'm going to try heading a different way. i know doug could prob give me the best over all performance but thats only if we could get it all costomized just right.. so if you guys could keep your post coming on chips it would be great! thanks guys!

If you want a chip bamachips.com is the way to go. No chip anyone else is going to suggest is going to surpass the tune Doug will burn for you. Unless I misunderstood and you're not getting a chip. It kinda sounded like you could go either way.

At least he's being honest with you. The fact is a chip will help an OBD-I truck (I can attest to that) but not as much as if it were OBD-II. The transmission on a 1st gen, for example, is not computer controlled. Therefore there is NOTHING a chip can do for the shift points. You would need a shift kit for that.

Joegun7 said:
Hey guys so i talked to Doug and he told me this long answer lol but over all i guess the chip i'd need is really hard to get the codes right with my x. lol or something. so i'm going to try heading a different way. i know doug could prob give me the best over all performance but thats only if we could get it all costomized just right.. so if you guys could keep your post coming on chips it would be great! thanks guys!

Best advise is for you to listen towhat Doug is saying; he truly knows his stuff and will not steer you wrong.

Yes. Lisson to Doug, he knows his ****.

if you want a chip (on OBD-1), get MAJOR internal engine upgrades first. That way it would actually be worth your while.

Like what j602 said, you have 4 varables that can be altered to affect performance in OBD-1. With OBD-2 you have 30.

So bascially its not really worth your while (besides removing rev limiter, and getting rid of the pinging with the early OHV's)

Chips cost like 400 bucks

you can get a nice set of gears installed for that much (2wd of course hah)

Hey guys these are the e-mails exchanged. I feel soo dumb about this. Like maybe i should just stick to the "k&n filter" upgrades lol nice and simple. can you guys translate what hes saying besides "it takes a lot to get it going"?

Your Name : Joe Whyte
> Your Email : joegun7@aol.com
> Year : 1991
> Model : Explore
> Engine Size : 4.0
Hi i was told to get ahold of Doug Studdard. I\'m looking to get > some better mpg/performance out of my old explore and was wondering what > you guys would recommend? All the help you guys can provide me with is > greatly appreciated! thanks!
> Joe

Hello Joe,

Unfortunatly I can't do a whole lot with the EEC4 Ranger's if anything at all. You can't adjust any of the transmission functions on these, or atleast the ones I've done. You can pick up some power from the better spark and fuel curves but only when using 93. Using 87 you could still see some gains but it may be limited. Most of the EEC4 tuning I've done has been for very performance orenited customers with aftermarket cams, ported heads, nitrous and so on.

The BIG problem on the ECC4 Explorer's and Ranger's is the lack of support for the PCM calibration codes. I have done about 20 over the last few months. Most of the codes I have or had to send the PCM's to SCT for them to download but if I have to request the code then it can take a while for SCT to request it from Ford and for them to get it in. The last calibration code request I did took two months, I've put in for another here recently and I'm still waiting.

EEC4 is like comparing Windows 3.1 to Window's 2000, yes it can be used and work well but the new operating system is much better. They can be upgraded and used, heck I've got one guy making 284rwhp and 450rwtq from a OHV 4.0 in a 93' Ranger, but it's the wait that can kill ya.

Sorry, Doug.

lol hey it may be 2wd but i've taken it places a 4wd jeep couldn't go. (like that says much :D ) hah j/k jeeps are ok ;-) ohh and my ride doesn't ping it prrrrs. Thanks guys i know im "knowledge challenged" about these things.. :usa: <-- Flag p.s. if you guys don't think i could swing a chip. what else would u recommend? i'm really not looking for better mpg lol no worse plz but its fine for now. I just want some power. if you guys feel its possible for my lil 2wd beast ;-)

Intake, exhaust, throttle body. Do those and then see how feel after that.

j602 said:
Intake, exhaust, throttle body. Do those and then see how feel after that.

that and gears.

id do gears first =) but we dont need to get that ball rollin.

Haha, we all know how much you love gears Creager. :p Gears are great for sure, I just don't think they're the best option for early performance mods. Also depends on what he has stock. If he has 3.27's, then yes, gears would be a major improvement and something to consider as one of the first peformance mods.

alright guys i'll look into that stuff! Thanks a lot for the advice. i don't know what all to do with the gearing. if you could maybe simplify that a little more. I understand where they are and that but what would i want to change them to? thx guys! goodnight! ;)

You would most likely want to change to a 4.10 ratio. Gears are a pretty in depth installation, and requires some special tools, so you'll need to have a shop do it. this means you don't really have to know much about it; just tell them what axle you have and what ratio you want and they'll set it up for you.

cool cool! I'll call around and get ahold of some shops. so is this going to give me better top speed or like better low end? i figure low but i'm not possitive. and i've read about the throttle bodys. I wa looking at summit and found one. but was wondering, is it as easy as it seams to put there tb on? or are there and little hidden things lol. and did i really have to "tune" it after i install it?

Much better low end. Lower gears (numerically higher) will decrease top speed, but a 4.10 swap should only shave it by a hair.

gosh j602 reading all the stuff about your truck makes me jealous.... lol i wish i knew haft the stuff you guys do about all this. Good looking ride man!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joegun7 said:
gosh j602 reading all the stuff about your truck makes me jealous.... lol i wish i knew haft the stuff you guys do about all this. Good looking ride man!

haha if you got gears it wouldnt be long before you turn your truck into something like his haha.

gears are one of those things you gotta plan ahead for. if you have 4WD it could be quite expensive for gears; +$600 w/o lockers and that cool stuff.

Back