Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Aftermarket alarm + factory alarm...possible ?

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by VeeArrSixXeR, May 4, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. VeeArrSixXeR

VeeArrSixXeR New Member

City, State:
      Montreal, Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2k2 SPORT
      Hi,
      browsing through my addict, I stumbled upon a box, opened it and found an AUTOSTART alarm module with shock sensor. Missing the shock sensor on the factory Ford alarm, and stupid toughguys wannabe's breaking my mirrors, I was wondering if it was possible to install the autostart alarm to work in conjunction with the factory one, meaning I'd have 2 alarms guarding my X :)
      I want the aftermarket remote to control the alarm (both the aftermarket one and the ford one) so I'd like to know if there is any wires I could just splice with the lock/unlock negative triggers from the aftermarket one...
      Thanks for your input ! :chug:
      Georges

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. sk1er17

sk1er17 My "Jeep Thing" itches...

City, State:
      NJ
      '98 Sport
      i have Viper ESP550 alarm/remote start hooked up. Useless to still use the stock alarm though it is functional.. i keep the stock remote in my glove box incase it goes off by accident (like i lock the doors manually and open them with the viper the stock alarm goes off).

But if you're hooking up an aftermarket, just ignore the stock alarm cause it sucks anyways

4. VeeArrSixXeR

VeeArrSixXeR New Member

City, State:
      Montreal, Canada
      2k2 SPORT
      But when you arm your Viper alarm, does it also arm the factory one ?

5. sk1er17

City, State:
      NJ
      '98 Sport
      No.

I dont know if yours is the same by heres the way my factory alarms works: I lock the doors/ someone opens the door from the inside or unlocks the door from the inside the alarm goes off.

Heres the way my viper works:
      Same way as stated above + vibration detectors all around.. so someone can't break a window and get in.

So theres no point in having the stock one alarm at the same time because after-market ones do the same thing + other stuff.

6. VeeArrSixXeR

VeeArrSixXeR New Member

City, State:
      Montreal, Canada
      2k2 SPORT
      Correct, mine works the same way also, just like the majority of factory alarms...
      However if I cancel the factory alarm, I guess I won't be able to use my touchpad on the driver's door... :banghead:

Thanks for your input ! :chug:

7. sk1er17

City, State:
      NJ
      '98 Sport
      ooooh thats another question with another answer...

My touchpad still works. However if my Viper is armed, and I use the touchpad- the factory alarm goes off for some reason. I simply fixed this by keeping a stock remote in the glove box to deactivate my stock alarm again.

So if i lock my keys in my car i can still get them and still shut my alarm off.

8. X~FACTOR

X~FACTOR Name is Ray

City, State:
      Valley Stream, Long Island
      '97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
      I have an aftermarket alarm and a factory alarm. The aftermarket remote can turn off both alarms but to turn the factory alarm I would have to push the door lock button before I exit the vehicle. The aftermarket alarm is enough to deter most thieves but when I find myself parking in a not so safe neighborhood it makes me feel better having 2 armed alarm system in there.

How do you wire it up? Heck, I don't know. I got the alarm shop take care of that headache. :smoke:

9. sk1er17

City, State:
      NJ
      '98 Sport
      lol, i DID the headache.. but i couldnt tell you the first thing about where to start.. if i think about it i just see a "spaghetti" bundle of wires!

Pay a shop to do it...its worth it!

10. Jose Gonzalez

Jose Gonzalez New Member

City, State:
      Costa Rica
      1996 Explorer XLT
      I have a 96 explorer! I used to have an aftermarket alarm system with remote start, vibrating sensors and central lock function.
      The problem is that it stoped working and I just want to set the vehicle with the factory alarm system, so I bought a new original controller but I can’t program it because of the aftermarket system.

Does anyone know how or where to find the place where my aftermarket alarm was installed in this model? Like a central lock module or something?

11. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      You'll have to dig around under the dash at least, to find maybe a module or sensor with a brand name.