• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket alarm

BadBoy

Reaction score
City, State
hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
Hi everyone just came back to the forums after 9 years. Bought my wife a 2013 Explorer XLT. I'm looking at getting a aftermarket alarm/remote start installed and was recommended the Directed 4x10/5x10 installed as I wanted to use my stock keyfob to arm/disarm the alarm and to remote start the explorer I push the lock button 3x. I will also be installing the viper smart start system so we will have longer distance and paging capablety.

Was wondering if anyone had this setup installed on there ex if you do how do you like it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not saying anything bad about Viper Alarms because they are really nice but if you are looking at using the factory FOB why not just add the factory remote start/security/phone access package. It is plug and play. You can install it yourself rather easily. You just need the dealer to activate it.

Also if you haven't look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418625

Not saying anything bad about Viper Alarms because they are really nice but if you are looking at using the factory FOB why not just add the factory remote start/security/phone access package. It is plug and play. You can install it yourself rather easily. You just need the dealer to activate it.

Also if you haven't look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418625

Want to go with a viper smart start because I have a viper alarm with the smart start installed in my 07 F-150 truck. So when I use the explorer its makes it easier and I only carry a regular key on my ring for the explorer so I would just use the smart start to disarm the alarm when I use it. I don't want that big keyfob thing on my key ring.my wife will use the explorer keyfob daily as I don't drive it often.
I've always had viper alarms with remote start but I never have one that used the stock keyfob to arm/disarm so just a little curious.

looking for a proper Alarm system for my Explorer from 2014. Plug&Play preferred, with chirping sound at closing. Important: no addional fob.
Which system do you can recommend?

Navigator, merged your thread with this one. See post #2 above.

Peter

Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't the Explorer come with an alarm already, and the 2011-2015 explorers have remote start built in. It just needs to be enabled, which you can do yourself, and you just need to purchase the 5 button key fobs, have them cut, and you can then program them yourself all for about $60-70. That's a win in my book. I did it myself and works great even with non OEM 5 button keys. Let us know how the Viper alarm works out for you. Thanks.

My neighbor has one of these. It’s super annoying when he triple clicks it at all hours making the horn beep three times.

Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't the Explorer come with an alarm already, and the 2011-2015 explorers have remote start built in. It just needs to be enabled, which you can do yourself, and you just need to purchase the 5 button key fobs, have them cut, and you can then program them yourself all for about $60-70. That's a win in my book. I did it myself and works great even with non OEM 5 button keys. Let us know how the Viper alarm works out for you. Thanks.

do you can explain the procedure? Purchase a new fob, is one. and then? just programing with ForScan or UCDS? That´s all??

do you can explain the procedure? Purchase a new fob, is one. and then? just programing with ForScan or UCDS? That´s all??

Do a search for remote start 2011-2015 and you will find what your looking for.

new key programmed. IPC and BCM adjusted with UCDS, but: If i try to start the engine via remote start,the parking lights and the dome lights are illuminate in fact, but the engine not start. What could be the reason?

Has nobody an idea?

What year is the vehicle?
Was remote start enabled via Forscan?
Is your check engine light on?

Remote start will not start your engine if you have a check engine condition. Let us know the answers to these questions so we can attempt to assist you further.

Thank you for reply. The Explorer is from 2014. Remote Start was enabled via UCDS, engine light is off. And as written, if i try to start, the parking lights goes on also the dome light and i can hear a "click" from the relais box in the engine compartment. Couldthe reason be, that i don´t have "Start/Stop-automatic"?

Thank you for reply. The Explorer is from 2014. Remote Start was enabled via UCDS, engine light is off. And as written, if i try to start, the parking lights goes on also the dome light and i can hear a "click" from the relais box in the engine compartment. Couldthe reason be, that i don´t have "Start/Stop-automatic"?
By "Start/Stop -automatic" are you referring to the push button start? If so, that should not matter since remote start works with the key ignitions as well.
I don't know if the dome light is supposed to come on or not since I'm not near the vehicle anytime I use remote start.
Here is what the 2014 Owner's Manual says about the OEM remote start;
To remote start your vehicle:
1. Press the lock button to lock all the doors.
2. Press the remote start button twice. The exterior lamps will flash
twice.
The horn will sound if the system fails to start.

Peter

Could it be, that i have no remote function actuator module (RFA) and that this is the reason for non working?

IF i have a RFA, where can i find it in Explorer?

This shows the approximate location of the RFA in a 2012 for what I guess is for those with Intelligent Access (IA).

Peter
2012_explorer_componentviews_16.png

okay, thank you.But seems, i don´t have the RFA, the metal bracket is empty. I thought, that the RFA is in every Explorer :dunno:
Am I right in the assumption, that i can´t upgrade in this case to remote start?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If i open the hood with running engine, i get no message about it in IPC. The switch is working, and there is current at the plug. I have no option to set anything in the BCM for the hood switch. I used ForScan and UCDS. Who has an idea?

Back