aftermarket radio with jbl subwoofer?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aftermarket radio with jbl subwoofer??

thor1701

Reaction score
City, State
fresno ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
ok im wanting to replace my original stereo with an after marker unit due to i want a aux port for my phone...now i've tried looking for info on this but have come up with nothing, i want to be able to keep using my subwoofer on my JBL system, but not sure which connectors will let me do it, here is a list of what i would like to buy, someone tell me which connectors will let me keep using my subwoofer

radio here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-S...384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae0555808

metra connectors here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400721383111?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181626023676?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know but that radio looks kind of suspicious like there's no possible way it's capable of 4 x 50W. Probably more like 10W/channel.

I don't know but that radio looks kind of suspicious like there's no possible way it's capable of 4 x 50W. Probably more like 10W/channel.

That cheap POS doesn't look like it's capable of turning on.

Oh you can get a little power out of today's class D digital amps but not a whole lot if there isn't a voltage boost circuit as in the end you're still putting only ~ 13V or less through 4 ohms or more, plus that there is not much room inside for, nor a heatsink visible outside means it can't handle much power without overheating.

For example the old Sonic Impact T-amp PCB was only 2" x 1" and could make about 10W/4 ohm clean or 15W at a terribly high 10% THD with 13V power input. Personally I don't need enough volume to exceed 10W/channel but in my younger days...

well i was mainly using that as a base of what i would like, im more interested in knowing how to keep the use of my sub

You could take a couple pics of the harness connector and sub connector in the truck, post them on an image sharing site then message the connector seller links to the pics, asking what will work, or if nobody else here knows you could post links to the pics here.

Check in the "Explorer Audio and Navigation" sub-forum. Lots of people have done this. I did. Kenwood double din H/U, 4x Pioneer speakers, kept the stock amp but did put in a new sub. The stock sub is pretty crappy and does not age well. But the stock amp will drive a low end shallow-depth sub pretty well as long as you match them electrically.
Pretty easy setup to install actually.

ok, i got the metra 70-5601 wiring harness, stereo comes tomorrow, anyways my problem is, it did not come with wiring codes, no labels, nothing, just the connectors and lots of wires, so i have no clue which wires are supposed to go where, and i have spent hours looking online for the labels for both connectors, even looked here....

Back