1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Aftermarket speakers

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by GregV8, August 3, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. GregV8

GregV8 Active Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 XLT
    I have the Non-Sony system in my XLT and not too thrilled with the sound quality.
    I know the options for an aftermarket upgrade are virtually non existent but I figured I might get better results with some good speakers. According to Crutchfield, many will fit and this would be a very simple install with no alterations to the vehicle.
    Has anyone installed different speakers yet? Do they sound better?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

Just finished adding a sub to the premium audio (non-sony xlt)... I think it completes the system. I don't see any need, nor benefit to replacing the actual speakers. Do you have the premium sound?

4. WillClark

WillClark New Member

City, State:
    California
    2011 Explorer Limited
    I have the sony system and pretty happy with it... I might add a signal processor if they exist, to add a more 5.1 like sound system... I would also think about adding an amp and better sub for when I really want to feel the music...

5. Bender 2

Bender 2 New Member

City, State:
    Granger, IN
    2011 Explorer XLT
    I am thinking of doing the same thing. Would you happen to have any pictures and /or details of the install?

6. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

I used a CACHE COE6 to get a summed amp output using the front left and right outputs from the stock amp as the input.

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2443847/1/exploder?h=6f2d03

limited pictures of the splicing from the stock amp, and the coe6 setup. I'm going to clean up the splices and actually solder them, I just did a 30 minute install last night. I also need to route the wires better cause I left bulges under the passenger 2nd row carpet. I put a fosgate 500 watt amp I had laying around under the front passenger bucket (also in the pictures), and am running a 10" kicker l7 square that I had from a honda ridgeline install a few years ago. The box fits between the second and third rows, under the false floor, and can be moved to the very back behind the third row when needed.

7. donm527

donm527 Active Member

City, State:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    2011 Explorer XLT
    Just saw on the ford Explorer Facebook page that JL Audio has a new stealthbox for the explorer that uses that empty storage space in right rear compartment...

"Stealthbox... this one fits the new 2011-Up Ford Explorer! It houses a 10W3v3 and installs out of the way of the third row seats, taking up no useful cargo space."

8. MikeCallery

MikeCallery Elite Explorer

'11 XLT Tri-Coat
    I like the idea behind the Stealbox but $600 plus for these things? Seems a little expensive for a subwoofer consider other options.

9. vulnox

vulnox Member

City, State:
    Overland Park, Kansas
    '11 XLT 202A
    Wow, when I saw the stealthbox I was thinking that would be my answer, but expected maybe $150 or so, $600 is a bit much.

10. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

yeah, I'm with you on this one. I would pay upwards of 300$ for an interior matched, non invasive box that doesn't take up any of the cargo or seating space. But 600$ is ridiculous.

11. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

For those who haven't seen the stealth box

[​IMG]

12. vulnox

vulnox Member

City, State:
    Overland Park, Kansas
    '11 XLT 202A
    Thais for the pic. I was wondering how it looked inside the Explorer. I just got back from the local car audio dealer and they said they should see them by the end of this month. But they said although they don't have the price yet on this one, they are ranging from $650-950 for Ford models. That is without an Amp and without installation. The F-150's generally run in the $900's.

Ah well. Can probably live without a sub. Even an 8 inch there with amp and install was going to run me close to $600 all together.

13. Bender 2

Bender 2 New Member

City, State:
    Granger, IN
    2011 Explorer XLT
    It does look very nice and clean. But $600 and that's without an amp? That is way too much in my opinion.

14. Wade99

Wade99 New Member

City, State:
    Palm Harbor, FL
    I recently added 4 Sony 5 1/2" or were they 5 n 1/4" speakers to all doors. Purchased at Wally world. Added a 10" MTX sub and amp. Not the loudest, but much better than stock. Did not amp the speakers but prob should have. My first ever install and was quite easy.

15. GregV8

GregV8 Active Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    2011 XLT
    So does anyone know how to get the door panels off and access the speakers?

16. THIRSTYCREW

THIRSTYCREW New Member

City, State:
    Chicago
    2011 Explorer XLT 4WD
    This JL Stealth box is a must have for me.

17. MikeCallery

MikeCallery Elite Explorer

'11 XLT Tri-Coat
    I'm glad your pocket affords it. I can see the need to put in a sub-woofer to fill in that back space but I simply cannot see how they can justify $600. and it doesn't have an amp. For $600. they are giving you a glorified felt cabinet and speaker. Way, way overpriced IMHO.

18. THIRSTYCREW

THIRSTYCREW New Member

City, State:
    Chicago
    2011 Explorer XLT 4WD
    Well look at it this way, if you have a audio shop custom make you one it will end up costing the same or if not more with all the time that it takes. I want this cause I hate the big boxs & this will take up NO space & have that custom factory look & the seats can go up or down when ever...no in or out of box or moving stuff around. Also I have all the wires and amp so this would be the only thing I need.

19. GregV8

GregV8 Active Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    2011 XLT
    I was going through your pictures again and I realized I must have the premium sound too. Why was I under the impression I did not have it...duh!

So my question is: how did you get the rear quarter panel off?

thanks

20. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

There is a thread somewhere here you can search for it w/ a picture of where all the clips are, but basically you remove the two anchor screws (twist them hard, the little things you would tie the rear cover to). Then carefully pry from the window around the whole panel.

From my experience I can tell you to wrap the top of the panel with some sort of soft cloth or blanket as you pry it away. I scratched the crap out of the rear pillar panel as I was moving the panel around. They want 120$ for a new one (120$ for a piece of molded plastic, unreal)

21. GregV8

GregV8 Active Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    2011 XLT
    Today, I have installed a Sound Ordnance B-8PT active sub box (powered, all in one slim unit) in my XLT (with 202A premium audio). It was $179 shipped from Crutchfield.
    Using the wire color codes from here
    http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~125888
    I was able to tap into the Line-out of the head unit, directly at the input of the factory amp under the rear quarter panel. So I basically piggy backed on the factory amp, also for 12V+. I was going to run a 10 gauge wire to the battery but considering the low power needs of the Sound Ordnance box, I decided the power source at the factory amp will be sufficient. I also used the factory amp-turn-on wire which is only a 6V signal but it's enough to tell the SO sub to turn on.
    Just for future reference, the factory line-out (=unamplified) colors are:
    Left+ Green
    Left- Gray
    Right+ Purple
    Right- Yellow

I ran all the wires (4 audio wires, 1 remote on, 1 power, 1 ground) to the trunk, neatly tucked behind the plastic panels. I also used a couple of quick-disconnect plugs from Radio Shack, just in case I need to remove the sub - so now its plug-n-play and is sitting under the 3rd row seats.

I set the sound on the head unit as follows: Bass: -2, Mid: 0, Treble: 8 (or so..)
    So basically I turned the bass DOWN so the factory speakers don't get overwhelmed - at the same time I cranked it up on the SO amp itself so it does all the bass-work.

The results are pretty good, this unit gives just enough bass to fill that low end. It's not for banging through the hood... Just to enjoy the music.

We Support Our Troops!