• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket v-8 exhaust

86lx

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 xlt
I am looking for a aftermarket exhaust for my 97 v-8,I only found Gibson making one,does anyone else make one? If not how does the Gibson sound?
Thanks,Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

v8 exhaust advice

Just so you know I have a 03 limited v8 and put on gibson single out and was not happy with it. It was a little loud in the cabin for my taste, even on the highway. I am shopping for another choice now.

03 Explorer Limited 100yr anniversary edition
Current mods: K&N FIPK, 20"Helos rims, new deck - clarion 745mp, focal front speakers, 2 jl 10w6 box with jl amps.
Future mods: exhaust - magnaflow catback, apten chip, maf, throttle body, headers.

I've heard that the Gibson sounds pretty good. Most people just go to an exhaust shop and then pick out a muffler andhave the exhaust shop bend the pipes. Then you can choose where they exit and what setup you want.

local shop advice

Is the local muffler shops using mandrel bending techiniques. That is the reason I am still sticking with catback systems. Any magnaflow comments?

BBall_fan said:
Any magnaflow comments?
I like the way mine sounds, but haven't heard any opinions from V8 guys about the Magnaflow. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find some opinions from the V8 guys.

BTW - Welcome to the site guys :)

thanks for the help... digging the site so far. Just got to have patience in the searching for info.

any ideas on the mandrel bending with the local muffler shops?

No offense but unless your local exhaust is doing the worlds ****tiest job on crimping their pipes or your driving an X with a $20k motor in it mandrel bending isn't needed man. If its a DD why spend the extra money on mandrel? Your not going to notice power gains or anything. I mean hell, unless your going to chrome your undercarriage and lift it 5' so ppl can walk under it no need for the mandrel. Ya know what I mean? Oh, I might sound like an ass, but im not.. im just being the realistic redneck that I am.
-Cody

BBall_fan said:
Just so you know I have a 03 limited v8 and put on gibson single out and was not happy with it. It was a little loud in the cabin for my taste, even on the highway. I am shopping for another choice now.

03 Explorer Limited 100yr anniversary edition
Current mods: K&N FIPK, 20"Helos rims, new deck - clarion 745mp, focal front speakers, 2 jl 10w6 box with jl amps.
Future mods: exhaust - magnaflow catback, apten chip, maf, throttle body, headers.
I don't mind the noise,I have a 11 sec street Mustang so I am used to it.How much for yours??

I could not find a v-8 magnaflow exhaust??

BBall_fan said:
any ideas on the mandrel bending with the local muffler shops?

Hardly ANY shops do mandrel bending. Good luck finding a shop. The equipment required is VERY expensive. The only shop I know of in town caters to the ricer crowd. I heard their pricing is astronomical.

Mandrel bending is nice, but not 100% necessary, at least for our sort of application (from what I've heard and read anyhow).

86lx said:
I could not find a v-8 magnaflow exhaust??

I stumbled across a post yesterday that had a sound clip of a Magnaflow on a V8. They're obviously out there. Sorry, can't remember where I saw it. Keep searching.

Magnaflow makes mufflers for a LOT of applications. I'm sure they have what you're looking for.

I have an 03 XLT with the V-8 and had a Flowmaster 40 put on this past August and I absolutely love the sound. I had a muffler shop put it in and they used most of the existing stock pipe. The only real change was a new piece from the flange to the new muffler and a 2 foot long 3" tip out the back to repace the small stock pipe that looked too low for my taste. I love the sound, but a few times I've been told by other people riding with me that it's a little loud in the cabin. I'm going to get some sound damping material and line my floorboard with it.

Back