Aftermarket wheels | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

8efe67a9-6449-47c0-9ca9-b43d97c2fb88_zpsj7alhlkv.jpg
RED, would draw too much attention??? OH PLEASE ,You mean like an ALL BLACK truck doesn't?
Paint the calipers RED,its called an 'accent'.
BTW: do you dress in all black grab now, including undies for the 'Complete Bad Boy' look? ;) That's a joke son!

frank

Same ideas I was going back and forth with, the 5 spokes have a classic simple design and very easy to clean but I'm putting on new rotors with ceramic pads(less to no dust) , they are 20x8.5" with about a +20 offset and a 255/50/20" tire.

The mesh set have a deep concave look which is a little more fresh but does look a little busy especially with that step before the lip . They are 20X10 with a +40 offset with a 295/40/20" tire (1/2" clearance from struts on front is the closest object to rub, which is still pretty far) , the truck is lowered, if you tried either set of rims on a stock height (non Sport model)vehicle they would poke out almost an inch, a little less on a Sport.

I have another set of calipers I was putting on, I was deciding if I should paint or powder coat silver, black or red. Black is too plain and I thought red would draw too much attention, so I ended up painting them silver for now, I think I will keep an eye out for caliper covers in red and put up new pics lol :D.

I also had a set of deep dish mesh rims and a set of chrome rims but I didn't like the look, if your curiosity wants to see those pictures I can find them.
I know right:rolleyes::hammer:

20170330_191820.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing draws attention to factory brake calipers like "accent" paint such as red. It screams, "I like my factory brakes, sure wish I could afford to upgrade to some Baer or Wilwood......" To each his own, just not a million years on my Ex.

Not as much as a yellow truck , lots of vehicles on the road now are blacked out so no one really gives a second look anyways if it isnt their thing, if you are noticing them you need to come to the dark side and switch those wagon wheels to something more discreet ;)

That's why I painted the calipers silver, I personally think painting stock calipers bright colors if they aren't a performance brand is silly, if I was bored enough I was thinking of getting the caliper covers in red to see how they look and maybe respray them black or silver and have them on to keep dust down, but they are priced out to lunch and look fake. I can have Wilwoods or Baer calipers fabbed up for under 1K but I've never noticed the need for a race caliper in the first place unless its for looks, its just an Explorer.
...and my undies are grey or sometimes white, they go well with my gold chain and Adidas shoes:mad:.

RED, would draw too much attention??? OH PLEASE ,You mean like an ALL BLACK truck doesn't?
Paint the calipers RED,its called an 'accent'.
BTW: do you dress in all black grab now, including undies for the 'Complete Bad Boy' look? ;) That's a joke son!

frank

depends on the tire, my 295s look narrow from the back. 8.5" wide is probably what you have, if you can get 10 or 10.5" with the proper offset I think it would look decent.

Hi guys.

Been searching for a while but couldnt find any. My tires are due so im thinking of upgrading the rims also. Im looking at 20's either 20x9 or 20x10.

Hopefully someone can share there booty pix of there EX with the same specs.

Thanks a lot and more power to the group!

Some of us just like to break up the look of our murdered our vehicles with red or orange. Nothing wrong with that?! Sorry some of us can't afford or don't want to spend money on "Baer or Wilwood".

I personally love my car and so what if my calipers are stock and coated with G2 paint?! Everyone has different taste and just because it doesn't fit you, don't go putting everyone else down.

How about this then, I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum. If you don't have one then you might as well be screaming "I wish my EXP was a Platinum Edition"...

I personally appreciate everyone's input in these forums and have been inspired by what they've done with their cars. Sadly, yours is no inspiration at all...
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG
Nothing draws attention to factory brake calipers like "accent" paint such as red. It screams, "I like my factory brakes, sure wish I could afford to upgrade to some Baer or Wilwood......" To each his own, just not a million years on my Ex.

I think you took that wrong....I meant the look isn't for me and nothing wrong if others prefer it. I just wouldn't do it to mine.

...I was thinking of getting the caliper covers in red to see how they look.

This should give you a pretty good idea how red caliper covers look...http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...our-5th-gen-today.430705/page-33#post-3615176

I ordered my covers through carid.com as a semi-custom configuration - red, with black lettering, no bolts. Same price as their stock configurations. Took about 10 days to get. Personally, I like the look of the covers better than painting the stock caliper. However, the covers with the fake bolt heads are cheesy. I'm not trying to fool anyone that my Ex has high-performance brakes (I think the stock brakes are pretty awesome, actually). I just like the color accent and clean look of the covers behind the wheel.

Also, I like the look of the mesh wheels on your Ex a LOT more than the 5-spoke. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

I thought the covers with the bolts weren't realistic also. I personally don't want the hassle of cleaning calipers or covers but if I do decide to run them it would be if other people seem to like it, its not going to make or break me. It would be a focus point since they would stand out first so it would have to be done right.

This should give you a pretty good idea how red caliper covers look...http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...our-5th-gen-today.430705/page-33#post-3615176

Got the wheels installed yesterday and wanted to post a few pics of the finished product. Sorry the car is a little dirty from all the rain past few days. I went with 20'' wheels and toyo STII all weather tires. I tried the 285's but they were rubbing so I went with 275.

20170126_150057.jpg

20170126_151038.jpg

20170126_151011.jpg

20170126_151002.jpg

Sick! What fog light bulbs are you running?

What a great forum... just spent 2 hrs reading as much as I can. Looking for input...

Have a 2016 Explorer Sport and buying rims/rubber. Prefer as wide as absolutely possible and struggling with decision between 20" and 22".

20x10.5 +45 with 295/45 by @14ExplorerNC and @ken60631 who are putting up a great fight to stick with 20's.

I'm looking at Niche M159 with Double Dip Tint per http://www.nicheroadwheels.com/intake-m159-w-19773.htm
Here are the spec sheets: http://www.nicheroadwheels.com/specs.cfm?id=5883

I'm curious what tire specs I can go with a 22" based on spec sheet above (I don't want 35 Series rubber, so 40 would be max as wide as possible)?

According to @14ExplorerNC and @ken60631 no rub with specs for 20" above.. do I need to worry about the 22" for Rub?

Hey guys.

Finally i've decided. Going for 20x9.5 kmc km696 pivot bronze. But i need your help with the offset. I want it to look a bit flush but not too much for this reason i was asking your EX's booty pics.
Im thinking of +44 hopefully someone can guide me.

Reason why i wanna be sure is because shipping to dubai almost costs the same as rims itself.

20170406_131811_zpsts0zwmbk.png

Hey guys.

Finally i've decided. Going for 20x9.5 kmc km696 pivot bronze. But i need your help with the offset. I want it to look a bit flush but not too much for this reason i was asking your EX's booty pics.
Im thinking of +44 hopefully someone can guide me.

Reason why i wanna be sure is because shipping to dubai almost costs the same as rims itself.

20170406_131811_zpsts0zwmbk.png
My XPlatinum stats are:
Velgen VMB6
20" x 10.5"
45mm offset
I hope this helps?
IMG_1188.JPG

What a great forum... just spent 2 hrs reading as much as I can. Looking for input...

Have a 2016 Explorer Sport and buying rims/rubber. Prefer as wide as absolutely possible and struggling with decision between 20" and 22".

20x10.5 +45 with 295/45 by @14ExplorerNC and @ken60631 who are putting up a great fight to stick with 20's.

I'm looking at Niche M159 with Double Dip Tint per http://www.nicheroadwheels.com/intake-m159-w-19773.htm
Here are the spec sheets: http://www.nicheroadwheels.com/specs.cfm?id=5883

I'm curious what tire specs I can go with a 22" based on spec sheet above (I don't want 35 Series rubber, so 40 would be max as wide as possible)?

According to @14ExplorerNC and @ken60631 no rub with specs for 20" above.. do I need to worry about the 22" for Rub?
Welcome to the Forum Tyler.:wave:
A 295/45R20 is within the 3% maximum diameter variance at 1.4%. Going with a 22" tire a 285/40R22 will be slightly over at 3.1%. A 295/35R22 would be almost an exact match to OEM at 0.3% but you stated you did not want a 35 series. Don't forget a wider tire like a 295 will increase rolling resistance and not perform as well in snow. In rainy conditions it would also be more susceptible to hydro planning.
You can use the following link to check sizes against the OEM. The general rule for safety is to stay with the 3% maximum tire variance from OEM.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-295-35r22
Good luck.

Peter

Peter - Other than messing with speedo/mileage data, what's the reason for the 3% variance limit?

Peter - Other than messing with speedo/mileage data, what's the reason for the 3% variance limit?
One of the main reasons that pops up on some tire sites is that it could lead to possible brake failure. Keep in mind that the larger wheels also increase not only pressure/weight on the brakes but also the suspension parts. Also, modules such as ABS will be affected since they were programmed to operate with the OEM wheels. Apparently the 2016/17 models are preprogrammed with s few sizes that can be selected but I'm guessing they would all be within the 3% range.

Peter

One of the main reasons that pops up on some tire sites is that it could lead to possible brake failure. Keep in mind that the larger wheels also increase not only pressure/weight on the brakes but also the suspension parts. Also, modules such as ABS will be affected since they were programmed to operate with the OEM wheels. Apparently the 2016/17 models are preprogrammed with s few sizes that can be selected but I'm guessing they would all be within the 3% range.

Peter

Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense.

Welcome to the Forum Tyler.:wave:
A 295/45R20 is within the 3% maximum diameter variance at 1.4%. Going with a 22" tire a 285/40R22 will be slightly over at 3.1%. A 295/35R22 would be almost an exact match to OEM at 0.3% but you stated you did not want a 35 series. Don't forget a wider tire like a 295 will increase rolling resistance and not perform as well in snow. In rainy conditions it would also be more susceptible to hydro planning.
You can use the following link to check sizes against the OEM. The general rule for safety is to stay with the 3% maximum tire variance from OEM.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-295-35r22
Good luck.

Peter

Thx Peter... Anyone out there have any pics of a 295/35/22 setup? Really torn on the decision... other than the savings on the rubber and rim may allow me to get the same H&R springs as Ken. any photos with 22's appreciated!

hi guys...

sorry i'm asking again. they don't have +44 offset and only +48 available. will it fit on our XP?

KMC Pivot KM696 Wheel 20x9.5 5x4.5 (5x114.3) Bronze 48mm Offset

kmc-pivot-km696-wheels-rims-20x9-5-5x4-5-5x114-3-bronze-48mm-offset-KM69629512648

they will fit and the rims will sit about 10MM further out from the factory 8.5" wide rim.

If you plan on lowering it you should get wider rims, or different offset, can also put on about 20MM bolt on spacers later because lowering it brings the wheels closer in to the body

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the wheels installed yesterday and wanted to post a few pics of the finished product. Sorry the car is a little dirty from all the rain past few days. I went with 20'' wheels and toyo STII all weather tires. I tried the 285's but they were rubbing so I went with 275.

20170126_150057.jpg

20170126_151038.jpg

20170126_151011.jpg

20170126_151002.jpg

Out of curiosity what brand rims are those?

Back