Aftermarket wheels | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Thanks for the referral to ray at Velgen, very easy to work with and took care of my questions quickly. Can't wait for my new wheels to show up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the referral to ray at Velgen, very easy to work with and took care of my questions quickly. Can't wait for my new wheels to show up.

Did you go all black?

If anybody is looking for a set of Velgens with tires mine are for sale. DM me if interested.

IMG_2046.JPG

If anybody is looking for a set of Velgens with tires mine are for sale. DM me if interested.

Just curious...What are you replacing them with?

Would I have any problems with 245/45/20 wheels on my Exp Sport? I'm getting a killer deal on a like new set.

Would I have any problems with 245/45/20 wheels on my Exp Sport? I'm getting a killer deal on a like new set.
Welcome to the Forum Benjamin.:wave:
The accepted maximum diameter variance from OEM size is 3%.
Also, please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Sport) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Peter

That's 1.5" difference in diameter for those two sizes. It's legal but the speedometer would be much slower than stock.
It also effects the some of the electronic systems such as Traction Control and ABS which are programmed to work with the OEM size. In the later models, 201617 I believe, there is an ability to select alternate sizes that are within specs. I'm guessing that doing that will update the systems affected.

Peter

Well, the vehicle operates by the speed signal, unless they had an actual GPS to verify actual speed. So the vehicle will move at a speed determined by the tire diameters, and the assumption of the speed by calculation(it doesn't know if you change the size). Basically, the shift points would be at the same rpm regardless of what tires you put on it.

I know a man who has a highly modified old Volvo, which he just finished installing a GPS speed signal device into. His old cable run speedometer didn't show speed accurately with the signal from the GM manual(with an LS in front of it). This GPS signal evidently is very accurate, and the speedometer now runs from that. He did that because of the old speedometer design, but I guess he could change tire sizes now(he's finished with the car now anyway).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'Over sized' wheels will also put extra strain on the brakes and suspension parts mainly due to the extra weight. Plus Size Wheels & Tires

Back