Aftermarket wheels | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

'Over sized' wheels will also put extra strain on the brakes and suspension parts mainly due to the extra weight. Plus Size Wheels & Tires
Oh yes, I learned that with my first set of 18's I put on my Mercury. The old wheel/tire was about 55lbs, the 18's were 72.5lbs. It made a difference I could feel in acceleration, and stopping. I'm on my 3rd set of tires for those wheels, and the last set before I scrap the heavy(cheap brand) wheels. I've carefully chosen tires that are lighter than other choices. This set is 64lbs per wheel/tire, sized 255/55/18 instead of the first 265/60/18's.

The cheaper wheels weigh a lot more, OEM wheels are very good choices to keep the weight down. My cheap 18's are about 31-32lbs each(I haven't weighed them, just done math as the tires got changed(weighed them)). I have used forged 17x9's to put on next, after being refinished. These are 22lbs each, and the wide 275/55/17's weigh 36lbs each. So I'll be back near the OEM weight levels, 58lbs is a decent SUV wheel/tire weight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2018 Platinum wheel options-aftermarket black

Looking for options and fitment for my 2018 Platinum. Would like to get some black wheels and would like to know max size I can do. Probably 20-22 if possible. Any one done this and if so, any pics. What tire size did you choose?

Last edited by a moderator:

Looking for options and fitment for my 2018 Platinum. Would like to get some black wheels and would like to know max size I can do. Probably 20-22 if possible. Any one done this and if so, any pics. What tire size did you choose?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I think you'd be better off staying with 20" wheels. 22" wheels will likely weigh more and put extra strain on the brakes and suspension parts. Also some of the systems like ABS and Traction Control are programmed to work with the OEM size although likely would be okay with the 22". You would also get a slightly harsher ride with them. Also keep in mind that the accepted maximum diameter variance from OEM is 3%. Even that would result in inaccurate mileage and speed readings. If an 18" wheel was a factory order option, that is what I would have gone with. Much smoother ride and less costly as well when looking at tires.:)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I think you'd be better off staying with 20" wheels. 22" wheels will likely weigh more and put extra strain on the brakes and suspension parts. Also some of the systems like ABS and Traction Control are programmed to work with the OEM size although likely would be okay with the 22". You would also get a slightly harsher ride with them. Also keep in mind that the accepted maximum diameter variance from OEM is 3%. Even that would result in inaccurate mileage and speed readings. If an 18" wheel was a factory order option, that is what I would have gone with. Much smoother ride and less costly as well when looking at tires.:)

Peter

I agree, while it would probably be fine keep in mind the 20" wheel size is programmed in the power steering control module(probably for steering estimates with park assist) and body control module for speed calibration.

I agree on keeping a reasonable tire for many reasons. Frankly engineering and stress is my primary concern. there are tolerances in every engineered product. Of course there is the programming aspect however you should go into the computer and reprogram it for size and you can do that most importantly is the diameter. Not sure there is any concern over width as I doubt anyone trys to over size the width as they wouldnt turn LOL... !!! I like some fatties on the back side but why ? looks only.. I am not sure there is any legal limit on size or width other than common sense. I appreciate Peter's keeping us all in line out here !!!! :)

I agree, while it would probably be fine keep in mind the 20" wheel size is programmed in the power steering control module(probably for steering estimates with park assist) and body control module for speed calibration.
The other thing some tend to forget about when going to a larger wheel/tire is, I believe, that the OEM spare tire is meant to compensate for the OEM tire size it replaces.

Peter

Thanks guys. Any suggestions or pics of guys with 20" aftermarket black wheels on their Explorer.?

Thanks guys. Any suggestions or pics of guys with 20" aftermarket black wheels on their Explorer.?
IMG_0956.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_6331.JPG

For what it is worth, I went with a 22" wheel and was able to stay within the ~3% total diameter difference by putting on a tire with a smaller side wall. During normal driving I can't feel any difference in the softness of the ride. Only when hitting potholes or major bumps does the larger wheel with smaller side wall produce a less smooth ride.

The weight of the 22's is more than the OEM. Not sure how much more since I've never weighed either. I've had the 22's on for 4 summers and over 27k miles now. I switch back to the OEM wheels and winter tires each fall. So far no issues with added brake or suspension wear that I know about. Had my rear brakes replaces at 89,500 miles and will likely need to get the fronts replaced this summer with about ~94k miles. I will also need to look at new suspension since I noticed the back is starting to leak a bit.

I2nJ4XH.jpg

Looks good! What are your wheel/tire specs?

For what it is worth, I went with a 22" wheel and was able to stay within the ~3% total diameter difference by putting on a tire with a smaller side wall. During normal driving I can't feel any difference in the softness of the ride. Only when hitting potholes or major bumps does the larger wheel with smaller side wall produce a less smooth ride.

The weight of the 22's is more than the OEM. Not sure how much more since I've never weighed either. I've had the 22's on for 4 summers and over 27k miles now. I switch back to the OEM wheels and winter tires each fall. So far no issues with added brake or suspension wear that I know about. Had my rear brakes replaces at 89,500 miles and will likely need to get the fronts replaced this summer with about ~94k miles. I will also need to look at new suspension since I noticed the back is starting to leak a bit.

I2nJ4XH.jpg

Looks good! What are your wheel/tire specs?

I knew someone would ask and I wouldn't have the answer off the top of my head. The winter wheels are still on due to this horrible spring. If my memory serves me correct they are the Niche Intake Silver machined wheel wrapped in 265/35/22 Yokohama Prada Spec-X. I'll try to check tonight when I get home and if I am wrong I'll come back and correct my post.

I confirmed over the weekend when I swapped wheels. I have 265/35/22 on the after market set. I set the OEM and after market next to each other and the aftermarket was a bit taller, but not much. As for weight different I used the very scientific 'pick each wheel up' method. I couldn't really tell a difference which makes me think they have to be close to the same weight. I'd think the after market weights a bit more since there is more wheel and less tire.

I confirmed over the weekend when I swapped wheels. I have 265/35/22 on the after market set. I set the OEM and after market next to each other and the aftermarket was a bit taller, but not much. As for weight different I used the very scientific 'pick each wheel up' method. I couldn't really tell a difference which makes me think they have to be close to the same weight. I'd think the after market weights a bit more since there is more wheel and less tire.
Diameter difference is -2.5%. 255/50-R20 vs 265/35-R22 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World This means you will be going a little slower than what the speedo indicates.

Peter

Looking at some HRE FF01 for my 2015 Explorer Sport.

They come in 20x10.5 et 45 and also 20x11 et 45. I know many are running Velgen with the 10.5 et 45. Anyone see issues with running the 20x11 et 45?

I might try 20x10.5 front and 20x11 rear

I have the Velgen VMB6 20” x 10.5” 45mm offset on my ‘16 Platinum and lowered with H&R Lowering Springs and it fits perfect.
A97241B6-3C10-4FF6-8716-D97ACA128093.jpeg

They come in 20x10.5 et 45 and also 20x11 et 45. I know many are running Velgen with the 10.5 et 45. Anyone see issues with running the 20x11 et 45?

Last edited:

Think it has clearance to run 11”? It would be 6mm more poke and also 6mm more toward strut.

Think it has clearance to run 11”? It would be 6mm more poke and also 6mm more toward strut.

I don't see why not? Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer.

Keep in mind the vehicle is AWD. The important thing is that the front and rear tire diameters should be the same and as close to the OEM diameter as possible. No more than 3% variance from OEM. I'm not sure if different weights front and rear will have any impact on the vehicle's systems.

Peter

Keep in mind the vehicle is AWD. The important thing is that the front and rear tire diameters should be the same and as close to the OEM diameter as possible. No more than 3% variance from OEM. I'm not sure if different weights front and rear will have any impact on the vehicle's systems.

Peter

I think I'm going to stay away from different size front and rear. Either will go with 20x10.5 et 45 on all four or 20x11 et 45 on all four. I agree that it probably isn't a great idea even with the same size tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone dipped or coated their sport rims black?

Back