Air compressor 96 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air compressor 96 Ford Explorer

halfbakedj14

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
After changing my blend door/blend door actuator I've finally found the problem why my air conditioning won't work, my air compressor is shot. It doesn't engage at all, and I remember it sparking actually because the clutch wouldn't budge. So I plan on purchasing a new air compressor, cheapest one I found was $160, and I would like to change it myself but I’ve had a couple questions. I've heard that the new air compressor needs to be "Zeroed out", is this something I can do myself with common equipment or should I just take my new air compressor to a mechanic and have him do it? I've found detailed guides on how to replace the air compressor so I am confident I can take out the old one and hook up the new one but I am unclear on the "zeroing out" the new air compressor so it's completely empty of air.

I have a 96 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer v6 4.0L.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replacing the compressor is a little more involved than just changing out the unit. There are other parts of the system that should be replaced, such as the accumulator & expansion tube. The system will need flushing and must be fully evacuated of air and moisture and A/C gauges are required to obtain the proper refrigerant charge.

I would suggest you read some of the "Stickies" in the A/C Forum section before you consider doing this.

Agreed...there's lots of specialized tooling you need to do it right.

While I agree with Ernie X and Lube about doing the compressor change "right", it is possible to change the compressor without going to all the hassle of pulling vaccum and changing the expansion tube and accumulator. It is your choice. I have done it myself any number of times without any problems. It all boils down to how much of a chance you are willing to take.

I had my clutch burn out. Evacuated the system and swapped out the compressor. Only had the system open for a small amount of time. Recharged and presed on. Now if my compressor had an internal failure or a broken line, I probably would've changed out the additional components. With 220K miels, I'll role the dice.

Back