1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

air compressor: Ingersoll-Rand

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Rhett, December 12, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 Sport 4x4
      I'm looking at air comp's and I saw this Ingersoll-Rand one:

http://air.irco.com/asg/small_recip/garage_mate.asp#

Anyone have any experience with Ingersoll-Rand compressors?
      I will use it for occasional once-every few months suspension work (radius arm bushings, balljoints, etc.) so I need it to power an air ratchet, impact hammer, etc. I'm looking at the compact vertical one, 4 hp, 24 gal, 5.7 AFCM @ 90. Is it enough in your experience and is IR a good brand?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      IR makes good stuff, mine has set outside in a shed hardpiped into my shop for 20 yrs, never a problem.
      If your going to run airtools would suggest a 34 gal Tank @ no less than 6 cfm ( the more the better) run an inline water seperator (cheap)I also have an inline oiler for my airtools on a seperate hard piped line, not really neccasary but best if you want to give your airtools good care.JMO

4. davidmmm69

davidmmm69 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      1995 2wd 4dr explorer Fall River Ma...
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      Go with Craftsman,That is what I have and never had a problem with it ever...

5. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      Craftsman are great, made for sears by Ingersall rand

6. 00XLS

00XLS Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Frackville/State College PA
      Explorer 00 XLS
      never knew that, i wish i would of know when i was selling them

7. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      I know 24 gals and 5.7 is a bit small for air tools. I was hoping to get something vertical and compact enough for my garage...and I am not sure that 34 gals is all that portable. I already know 24 gals and 5.7 is a bit small for air tools, but I was wondering if it would be adequate for OCCASIONAL air tool use.

8. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      well with my 5 gal, 1.5 hp on.... it takes a 10 second burst with the die grinder befroe the air in the tank is gone... and it doesnt deliver enough power to spin the grinder fast enough to do anything until the tank is full again.... i can reliably get off 1 wheel with 4 lugs on my sisters civic with my small compressor..... so its not really enough for high duty of suspension work, it will help, but really bigger is better

9. alchemist

alchemist Member

City, State:
      Baldwin, WI
      97 XLT 5.0 AWD and 95 XL
      Buy a belt driven one. The oil drive types aren't as reliable. You typically get more scfm from oil driven ones. They are also a lot quieter.

Yes some oil drives work fine and can last a bit but ive seen many craftsman oil drives fail after a few years (seen some last too).

Get the biggest tank/hp/scfm you can afford. Remember this is a purchase that you'll keep the rest of your life most likely no need to cheap out and have to buy another in a few years.

10. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      That's the kind of real-use info I wanted to know. Thank you for the useful information there. My old comp was so old that all the capacity placards were worn off, I could only guess at it's capacity, hp, cfm delivery.

11. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      I am having trouble finding any belt driven compressors. They all seem to be the oil kind, and with "maintenance free" (yeah, sure) operation. We all know what that means when you need to lube a bearing. Of course, even the "maintenance free" compressors can be serviced and lubed, if you know how...

I'll look harder for a belt driven compressor.

12. rocco123

rocco123 Active Member

City, State:
      Endicott, NY
      1994 XLT & 2002 Limited
      Ingersol Rand makes top quality industrial products. If U can swing it, get one.

13. RiverRat

RiverRat Well-Known Member

City, State:
      San Diego, Ca
      1996 V8 Ranger 4x4
      For a home shop application I'd go with a 60-80 gal unit. In the future you might want to do some paint work, sand blasting, plasma, etc. Try to install the air comp in a different room or outside of your work area. Nothing like plenty of quiet compressed air

:thumbsup:

14. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      Here is my advice on air compressors... If you can,( or maybe in an ideal world <smile>) get a 220V belt drive model and 50+ gallon tank. Place it outsiode and plumb it inside to the garage with black steel pipe (more on this later)... pipe it according to a plan that gives you moisture drops, plumb in filter. Ideally 8-9 cfm at 90 is very good.

Real world. 30 gallon 5HP... will run most air tools. sanders (like a DA) and rotaty tools (brinders etc) won't do well except in bursts. Often lasting long enough. You can run impact tools all day long. (ok ok not exactly.)

Downside on over running a too underpowered compressor... water. and overheating. The hot compressor can vaporize moisture which will condense out in a long black pipe run, but goes right into the tool thru a hose. HIGHLY unfavorable for painting <g>.

I run a small 5HP compressor thru steel pipe, and when I need more air add a 2nd small compressor (don't think you can add the cfm's it does'nt work that way.) I've taken to renting a booth to paint cars.

HTH

15. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      I have a 33 gallon, 5or 6? Hp Craftsman unit. I can fill it up until cutout.....then unplug it and have enough air to do a 4 tire rotation without plugging it back in.

16. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      I'm with Glacier on this one...

Get one of the old-type compressors with a separate motor and pump - belt driven and oil lubricated.

The newfangled oilless compressors are nothing but trouble - overrated in HP and CFM in my opinion... I have a 5.5 HP one that I have to replace the bearing for the connecting rod twice a year and the piston bore assembly at least once a year. In the mean time, it's noisy and can't keep up with any serious air tool use.

Try Home Depot o Lowes (or, if you are so blessed, Farm and Fleet). They all have the real compressors, and they are not that much more money than the oilless ones.

BTW, Sears doesn't make anything - they just purchase and re-badge all their stuff. If it is for sale at Sears, you can find the identical thing somewhere else for less money.

As a couple of "for instances" I was shopping for some stuff the other night...

They had a bench top drill press "on sale" for $89.95. It was IDENTICAL to the one Harbor Freight is selling right now for $39.95 except for the stickers and a slightly better on/of switch. $50 more dollars for stickers and a switch is a lot of money... They also had a flourescent trouble light for $18.95 - not a bad deal, except that I just bought an IDENTICAL one for $12.65 at another store... It pays to shop around - especially for air compressors...

17. msmith65

msmith65 Active Member

City, State:
      Dallas
      '93 XLT
      New compressors suffer terrible depreciation. People buy them when they need them, so they tend to pay top dollar at retail.

However, garage/estate sales are a great opportunity to buy one of the old-style compressors at a bargain price.

Most people under-use these things and all they need are some cleaning up and maintenance.

In Dallas you have to go looking early because people buy these cheap and resell them to pawn shops; same thing with tools in general.

I guess you could just save yourself a hunt and go straight to a pawn shop....

18. alchemist

alchemist Member

City, State:
      Baldwin, WI
      97 XLT 5.0 AWD and 95 XL
      msmith couldnt have said it better......used is the way to go if you can. I bought mine for 50 bucks and its in perfect condition

19. Tony H

Tony H Well-Known Member

City, State:
      New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
      '91 Eddie Bauer
      Don't get the Oiless ones. As most have said already. The ones with the separate Pump and Motor are more industrial.

The the very occasional; outting the 24 MIGHT do you. I bought a 60 Gallon upright and it's great for blowing out the sprinklers and some use with Air draining tools like Impact guns and air sanders. Homedepot has one for $429ish. It's a Husky made by Campbell Hausfield

20. RiverRat

RiverRat Well-Known Member

City, State:
      San Diego, Ca
      1996 V8 Ranger 4x4
      FWIW I used copper tubing for all my lines. It's slanted properly with a valve at the end to drain out water. It's easy to work with copper and doesn't rust out.

21. Nate1

Nate1 All 4 wheels locked

City, State:
      Gainesville/Tampa, FL
      '96 FZJ-80
      I have an IR impact wrench that I abuse a good bit and its a champ. I would definitely say IR makes some solid pnumatic products.

22. spta97

spta97 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      NY, NY
      2000 5.0 AWD
      Crankcase, I've also got a 33 gallon 6HP Craftsman unit but I run it with a 50 foot 3/8" hose. I was all excited to rotate my tires but I could not break the lugs! How far a run do you have? In reading the manual it says you should use a 1/2" hose for anything over 8 feet (which use 3/8" NPT fittings) but a guy at Harbor Frieght said converting back to 1/4" NPT (to fit the tool) would defeat the purpose.

To the orignal poster, make sure you get the PSI rating for the CFM specs. On mine the measurements are at 60 and 90 PSI. Most tools will run around 90 and the CFMs will be MUCH lower than at 60 PSI.

23. alchemist

alchemist Member

City, State:
      Baldwin, WI
      97 XLT 5.0 AWD and 95 XL
      I agree that you need a bigger hose for longer runs. The guy at harbor freight is giving you a line. Yes you have a 1/4 inlet on the tool, but you want a bigger supply line to feed it. The length of the run determines the diameter of the supply needed.

24. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      I use 50 feet of 1/4" hose all the time on my compressor - and it does the job just fine... Larger hard line would be great (and as soon as I get a shop worthy, I will plumb it with 3/4 steel - think of the air capacity it adds to the system).

If your gun wouldn't break the lug nuts you probably need to oil it. Most guys don't oil their air tools often enough. Pick up some air-tool oil (special formualation for air tools) and while holding the trigger in, squeeze a bit into the air fitting, then (holding a rag over the vents) air up the gun and run it a few bursts... The oil will blow out the vents - and also free up the vanes inside the gun, giving you back max torque.

Also make sure that your torque adjuster is opened up all the way - and run the PSI on the compressor to 125 or so. The gun will take it - and have lots more power.

If all that fails - then you probably have an import cheapy gun that only puts out around 200 Pounds-feet of torque at best. Step up to a better impact. The IR guns that put out about 500 pounds-feet of torque are only about $150 a pop (and you can catch them on sale). The newer styled "tornado" guns will put out over 600 pounds-feet of torque - enough to snap a wheel stud right off...

25. Rhett

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      This thread is turning out nicely! I appreciate all the opinions. You all are right. I should do it right and get a decent sized compressor. And that's a great idea about looking for estate sales, garage sales, and pawn shops for a low-use belt-driven compressor. I'm not in any hurry about it.

26. spta97

spta97 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      NY, NY
      2000 5.0 AWD
      Well the gun came as a set with the compressor from Sears. It says "Ultimate Torque = 230 ft/lbs." so even though it is on the whimpy side it should brake my lugs which are torqued to 100 ft/lbs. The gun uses 4 CFM at 90 PSI - you think it is save to run the compressor at 125 PSI? I'm afraid the gun will expode in my face! I also hardly ever use it (like 2 times a year) but I oil it every time I do. I really wish I had the space for a bigger unit but this thing is a monster in my small utility room where I keep it.

I had seen those more powerful guns (like the Thunder Gun) but instead of spending the money I'm thinking of trying the 3/8" hose first. I guess I bought this thing on a whim but I did do research and it seemed to be good for my uses (blowing out sprinkler lines, cleaning off r/c vehicles) and the fact that the impact gun came with it I assumed it would work!