Air conditioner almost causes near stall | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air conditioner almost causes near stall

gideon123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Ltd
Sorry if this was discussed. I searched but cant find this issue. I know its here because i read it b4.

Anyway, i have a 2014 explorer ltd. i notice when im parked and the air con is running at some point the engine goes down below 500 rpms then kicks up to 700 to compensate then kicks down to below 500 , over and over again. if rev the engine a bit, then it goes back down to normal idle and its fine for maybe 10 minutes then does it all over again.

Anyone know wants going on?

Thanks so much for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry if this was discussed. I searched but cant find this issue. I know its here because i read it b4.

Anyway, i have a 2014 explorer ltd. i notice when im parked and the air con is running at some point the engine goes down below 500 rpms then kicks up to 700 to compensate then kicks down to below 500 , over and over again. if rev the engine a bit, then it goes back down to normal idle and its fine for maybe 10 minutes then does it all over again.

Anyone know wants going on?

Thanks so much for any help.

Hi gideon123,

Have you brought this to the attention of your dealership? I'd recommend that as a next step. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

I can't really say that I've noticed any changes in the engine revs when the A/C kicks in. I just went out and tried it. Engine was idling at 1k RPM and when I turned on Max A/C, there was no change in the RPM reading that I could tell. No change to engine sound either. Just a lot of really cold air.;)

Peter

There is an idle speed sensor that will increase RPMs to compensate for the load when the AC compressor kicks in. Normally it is not noticeable but your idle may have been low and when the Auto AC kicks in it will increase RPMs to a level that was perceptible. Every car with AC has this.

^^^ yes but you should not see a 200+ rpm swing. I barely see the tach move when the ac cycles on and off.

I have about 9000 KMS on it. I also can hear a clicking sound just b4 the engine tries to compensate for the AC. It's like every 8-10 seconds I can hear a click which sounds like it's coming from around the engine then the rpms go up then back down again, then click then rpms go up. It's like a cycle

I have about 9000 KMS on it. I also can hear a clicking sound just b4 the engine tries to compensate for the AC. It's like every 8-10 seconds I can hear a click which sounds like it's coming from around the engine then the rpms go up then back down again, then click then rpms go up. It's like a cycle

I've had similar on another vehicle. There was a low pressure sensor on the AC system. It would cycle the AC off and then back again for a few seconds. Each time the AC kicked back in, it would drop the RPMs and then catch back up until the switch detected low pressure again and it would do it again.

Turned out to be a bad sensor. Swapped under warranty and all was good.
This was on a Ford Ranger.

Take it to the dealer and let them sort it out.

That "click" you hear is normal. It is the electromagnetic clutch actuating, connecting the fan belt pulley with the compressor.

Hi gideon123,

Thanks for following up! I'm assuming from your use of kilometers that you're in Canada. If so, I recommend that you get in touch with my Canadian colleagues on the forum, FordServiceCA. Here's a link to their profile: Ford Service Canada

Crystal

Any update on this gideon? Our 2013 did this on sunday. Thanks

Welcome to the Forum KOJAK-13-EX.:wavey:
It would be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it always shows in margin. Not all models always have the same issues.
Hopefully you will be able to get your issue repaired. You can also contact the Ford service rep who monitors this forum. Her name is Crystal (FordService) and you can send her a private message (PM) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

hun?

Welcome to the Forum KOJAK-13-EX.:wavey:
It would be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it always shows in margin. Not all models always have the same issues.
Hopefully you will be able to get your issue repaired. You can also contact the Ford service rep who monitors this forum. Her name is Crystal (FordService) and you can send her a private message (PM) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Its already stated, just below my name on the left to my post it says, "2014 Ford Explorer ltd" what more info would one need?

Its already stated, just below my name on the left to my post it says, "2014 Ford Explorer ltd" what more info would one need?
I think you got the posts mixed up. The request was made to KOJAK-13-EX as indicated in the post you quoted. He has now added the info.

Peter

Back