Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Air flow poor after fix

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by RogerB1, July 15, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. RogerB1

RogerB1 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Mercury Mountaineer
    I plucked this reply of mine out of a fresh-air-door thread as my car is halfway put together and I hope I can get a response to help me finish this weekend.

I just replaced the fresh air door assembly in my 2005 Mounaineer. It's not quite finished, but I have some questions.

Before I completely bolted the entire dash back on, I decided to turn it on and check things. First off, the air flow out of the main dash vent is now poor. When I removed the broken door from the floor of the broken, old assembly, air-flow was great, but it wasn't running in max a/c mode due to pulling in the warm air from outside. I still have all the panels off of the center unit and the defrost grill on top of the dash is not put back on. Actually air is coming out pretty strong out of the defrost area. I am wondering if I put all this back together it will change air-flow.

Secondly, I was debating whether to try to fix the old door or replace the unit. I was thinking of replacing the unit because I had difficulty trying to get the fresh air door back into postion. However, I wasn't sure about pulling the white vaccuum hose off the fresh air door actuator to put it on the new actuator (which came with the new assembly). I did not know if I was going to break some kind of vaccuum and the unit would not operate properly. After replacing the whole assembly and putting the white tube on the new actuator, it does not close properly (in the max a/c postion). Again, connecting the electrical connectors in the center console and the one in the center of the defrost grill may impact things more positively as well as putting the panels/consoles back on might create more of a seal and allow the actuator to function better.

During my test drive there was a lot of condensation on the plastic area above my red circle. Not sure if that means anything.

Thirdly, there is about a 1/4 inch gap in the a/c channels that get air back to the back seats. (see pic attached). I am not sure this is supposed to be like this. It doesn't really snap back together like it wiggled loose. Does anyone know if this gap should be like this?
    [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. RogerB1

RogerB1 New Member

2005 Mercury Mountaineer
    Took things apart. Put everything back together. I found that there is no a/c coming out of the front dash vent because the actuator that changes the flap from front vents to coming out of the defrost vent is not engaging. Also the actuator that moves the fresh air door between outside air and inside air (max a/c) is not engaging. Do I have some kind of vaccuum issue?

4. eqppwqqep

eqppwqqep Member

City, State:
    Jackson, TN
    2002 4WD
    Yes..I just fixed the same problem. Only takes one disconnected vacuum to cause problems (i.e., my fresh air door fell off again because the actuator lost vacuum and sucked all the way in. I'd make sure all vacuum lines are connected. While my fresh air door fell off, my vents only blew out of the windshield vents and not the front vents. Put the hose back on and it changes fine now.

5. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    I know when I replaced my blend door actuator and was testing it the airflow was all screwed up and I was starting to panic. Then I remembered that it operates on vacuum and the Ex needed to be running for the airflow to be distributed properly.

There shouldn't be a gap in the duct. This is from my blend door actuator write-up:

12.b. Push console forward to close gap in lower duct

[​IMG]

Hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup: