Air ride shock absorbers, how do you remove and install the hoses? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air ride shock absorbers, how do you remove and install the hoses?

damo1982

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne VIC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone here knows how to remove the air hoses that go into the rear shock absorbers for my 2000 XLT? Also I havent removed the shockers but apparently my replacement Motorcraft branded Air shocks ( rear shocks ) dont have the electrical wires or anywhere to plug in wires. I havent removed the old shockers yet but would like to know what must be done if it does have electrical wires going into the old shockers.
Also any tips on removing the hose and re installing it into the motorcraft replacement would be helpful. The new ones have this green plastic ring that is firm and does not budge. Im lost

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hose is a push fit. To take the tube out you push the ring in towards the shock (a spanner just bigger than the tube helps for this) and pull the tube out. Simples

Spray them first with a lubricant like PB Blaster. The "locks" are stiff and stick usually.

The new shocks don't have the electronic valving any longer.

FYI, you can buy the new rear shocks like you just bought from Ford, on eBay now for $25 each plus shipping. A Canada business years ago bought about 900 of those as old stock. I bought a pair as spares back then, I paid about $95 each from Ford for the two I'm using. Regards,

Spray them first with a lubricant like PB Blaster. The "locks" are stiff and stick usually.

The new shocks don't have the electronic valving any longer.

FYI, you can buy the new rear shocks like you just bought from Ford, on eBay now for $25 each plus shipping. A Canada business years ago bought about 900 of those as old stock. I bought a pair as spares back then, I paid about $95 each from Ford for the two I'm using. Regards,
Could you link to these?

Yes, I got my pair for about $75 total in 2006. The eBay sale went away for a year or two.

hey thanks for the replies guys, In Australia, the ford dealers wanted $1200 for just the pair of rear shocks. Lucky i found this forum and ebay which led me to rockautos site.
thank god.

Maybe I'm just missing something here but I took a quick look at the rear shocks on mine and don't see how you can really get to the top bolts on the shock. Looks like I have some of the air compressor (for the shocks) and other things up there. Is it easier than it looks to get to those bolts or do you need to remove something? This is probably a job I need to do at some point soon

I've changed the rear shocks before on a 91 so didn't think that page would help but there's a comment further down where someone else has a similar problem. Sounds like I need to remove a component or two to get to the bolts on the drivers side. Guess I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks

Back