Alarm goes off when reconnecting the battery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alarm goes off when reconnecting the battery

Mzkitabot

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4wd 6 cycl and its been dead for 3 months, due to the alternator. I put in a new alternator, went to advance auto and let them charge my battery overnight because it was completely dead. Anyhow after I picked up the battery and connected reconnected it to my truck, the alarm is going off and will not turn off unless i disconnect the battery. I tried putting the key in the ignition, shutting all the doors to lock it and unlock it.
The windshield wipers and wiper fluids and the back of the bottom lights goes off and on. I have no idea what to do, any help I would appreciate it.

Keta

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try turning the key to the ON position while connecting the battery? I'm assuming you either don't have a remote keyfob -or- already tried using it to shut the alarm off and know the battery in it is good?

my '97's alarm does stuff like this if i try to reopen the hood because it hasn't closed all the way and i've already locked and closed the doors. i guess it thinks i'm trying to steal it. try unlocking and opening a door before reconnecting the battery.

I changed the battery out of the remote keyfob, and it still not working. I closed all the doors, and locked them. I unlocked the driver door with the key, and the alarm is still going off.

Keta

I changed the battery out of the remote keyfob, and it still not working. I closed all the doors, and locked them. I unlocked the driver door with the key, and the alarm is still going off.

Keta

have you tried closing the hood while the alarm is going off and then unlocking the driver's door? do you have the factory anti-theft alarm or an after-market alarm? mine is factory (blows the horn). i've also found out that you can have strange problems with the remote if the remote's battery is installed wrong. if you have an after-market alarm system (sounds like you may as none of mine flash any lights when the alarm goes off) i can't help you.

Keta
LOL
It's called a aftermarket alarm that is going haywire... You have to disable it and everything should go back to normal..

Thank you. I called a Ford dealership and they told me they will charge me $290 to disable the alarm. I guess I need to do some research on how to disable it because In refuse to pay that much.

You could also find the alarm box, see if there's markings identifying what it is, and research it online with that information. You might even find the instruction manual for it that tells you what to do either to reset it, or do the reverse of the installation procedure to remove it.

honestly, i just don't know why people install these damn things. they're useless. if you want to protect your car from being stolen all you need to to is add a hidden toggle switch to cut the power to the fuel pump.

^ That won't stop someone from stealing your sound system, tools, electronic gadgets, etc.

This alarm was in the car when I purchased it from another military member. I will tell you that noise horn sound is coming from the back.

^ Good, then it should be a lot easier to find the module, probably in the side compartment.

^ That won't stop someone from stealing your sound system, tools, electronic gadgets, etc.

this is one of my favorite rants...
i live in the Atlanta GA area. this is a huge problem here. if you're dumb enough to leave you tools and expensive gadgets in your car where they can be seen, they will be stolen. i see it reported on the news daily. people complaining how they lost there wallets, computers, phones GPS's checkbooks, cash, social security cards and/or tools... thieves just break your window and grab your stuff. it just takes a second with a spring loaded center punch. sometimes they'll go through 20+ vehicles in a single parking lot in one night. if any alarms went off (and i doubt they did as no car doors were opened) no one paid any attention to them. if you must leave your stuff in your car, at least hide it. in this economy and the general lack of morality we live with today, when people leave their $500 cell phones and $1500 computers sitting on the seat while they go into the mall, what do you expect.

^ While I don't leave "many" tools in my X, once upon a time ago I worked in a trade where I had a lot of tools in a truck. At the end of a long day the last thing I wanted to do was bring them all inside only to load them back in the truck a dozen hours later.

Thank you. I called a Ford dealership and they told me they will charge me $290 to disable the alarm. I guess I need to do some research on how to disable it because In refuse to pay that much.

I had mine disabled for $50 at a car stereo/alarm shop.

Back