• Register Today It's free!

Alarm horn not working

KPPCExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Kings Park, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6
I have factory alarm system in my Explorer. Whenever I hit the alarm button on the key fob, or hit lock more than once, the horn does not sound. The lights flash and the doors do lock, but no horn. Regular horn works fine and all fuses are good. I read in the manual there's a Horn 1 fuse and Horn 2 fuse. I know there's a horn in the area under the battery, but is there a second horn somewhere else? Anyone else experience this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are 2 horns. According to my shop manual, they are located above the front fender splash shields and are mounted to the frame rails on each side of the vehicle.

According to my shop manual wiring diagrams, the fuses are as follows:

In the fuse panel under the driver's side dash:

Fuse #6 (10A) is for the right horn
Fuse #18 (10A) is for the left horn

Hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup:

Thanks. Will go searching for the mysterious second horn and test it to see if it still works.

The only time the horn sounds on mine is if I push the key fob once, locking and making the parking lights flash, then press it again. On the second push I get the horn chirp. It never does it on the first push. So if I'm walking away and don't see the lights flash or hear the locks activate, I push it a second time, to be sure it's locked and that's when I hear the horn chirp, if it was already locked.

Not sure if it's correct but that's the way mine works.

That is how it's supposed to work. That's why it's so frustrating to me, because I am not sure if my doors are locking properly or if one of my doors are open, the number of beeps indicates that. I always hit the trunk open button on my remote accidentally and I can't tell you how many times I come out after a 9 hour shift at work and my trunk is popped.

That's why it's so frustrating to me, because I am not sure if my doors are locking properly or if one of my doors are open, the number of beeps indicates that.

Not sure I understand this.

Push the button once, it locks all the doors and flashes the parking lights.

Push it again and the horn chirps once, confirming the vehicle is locked.

Not sure I understand the "number of beeps...."part.

By "trunk" do you mean the rear window?

If a door is open, it will beep twice. When I say trunk, I mean the rear hatch.

Finally found the horn yesterday. Had to remove the wheel well in order to get to it. Tested the horn, and it works fine. Did a current check, and no electricity is getting to the horn. As I said, fuses are all good. Does anybody know if there's a control module that power to that horn comes from? Trying to figure out why the fuses are good but still no power.

Going to scan the diagrams for the horns and PM to you. I will also check my shop manuals for troubleshooting the horns.

Stand by......................:popcorn:

Diagrams have been sent via PM. Gonna bury my face in the shop manual & another beer!! :chug:

I know on my Mark VIII I can disable the horn chirp when the doors lock with the fob.

Might be worth a check of the owners manual to see if that's possible on the Explorer also. I seem to recall something about how to do that but not sure. I think you can disable the auto lock feature but not sure about the horn chirp.

Did it ever function properly or is this something new?

I'll have to look at my manual. I think BigRondo has a link to an online copy if you don't have one.

The manual says you have to push it twice within 3 seconds to get a horn chirp. Says nothing about disabling the horn chirp so I don't think it's disabled.

It functioned properly for the first at least 100,000 miles, than it became intermittent, and now it does not work at all. I use the lock chirp as an example, but also if I set the alarm off, either via remote or opening a door after armed, the lights flash and I hear a relay clicking, but still no horn.

BigRondo was nice enough to send me the wiring diagram, so I will surely have a fun time tomorrow tracing wires trying to figure out where something went wrong.

Back