Albino's about to get busier with Abby's half sister Gail | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Albino's about to get busier with Abby's half sister Gail

Hey I have 3 white doors and a control arm bracket (right side I believe) if you need em :)

Nice rig! Like mine, a 93 ltd, now owned by my brother :) Let me know if you need any help in the Seattle area, I know this truck inside and out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know Phil before you start ripping and tearing you may what to consider what IZwack said a "4BT" but I would recommend a 94-98.5 6BT, now that I have one in my tow rig/daily driver I wish I would have bought one sooner

Actually, the pony's going to one of Kevin's boys.

I'm looking for more street and towing. 302hp, variable length intake track, Advancetrac w/RSS but it's going to take a while.

Found my donor :thumbsup:

Been working really hard on this sucker.

In dash nav is in, rear seat DVD is in.

Power to the sun roof.

I
I
IIIIII
I I
I I
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII
I I
I I
IIIIII
I
I

:D:D:D

After Tahuya

OK, I was thinking on my way home (really dangerous).

Next step is I need to make some room for new tires. I'm likin the looks of the TrXus MT and the price isn't too bad. I won't need them for DD duty so they could be the last off road tires I'll buy.

So, when I pull the rotors to get them turned, I'll check to see what size alignment shims I have. If they're less than 2.5*, I think Ill add some coil spacers to the front and put on a drop pitman arm.

For the back, I'll ask Kevin to make me some McInchak 153 shackles to set here even.

I'd also like to build sliders integrated into the stock running boards but I'll have to cut the ends for tire clearance. The worn out 33" AT's I have now rub at full turn. Maybe if I show up at Ryans dads garage with a case of Alaskan Amber and some pipe, I can get some help and instruction?

I'm having a hard time committing to a locker cause I still drive this thing for work off and on to about 300-400 miles per month. The best thing would be a selectable but that's too much$$ right now and I'm not sure I'd like the handling of a power trax for a LS carrier.

Joe, Kevin, Paul, Ryan weigh in please.

Attachments

• TrXus MT.jpg
    TrXus MT.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 431

Get Busy !

Phil -

Can't speak much on the tires, I've heard that Truxus don't do well as a DD tire, but if you are keeping them separate rims only for 4x4 trips, they should be fine. I have been happy with my MTRs, but after 6 years they are fading fast. Seems like most of the guys who have been wheeling in the PNW really don't think too much of the MTRs due to the mud/sludge/soup that we find on the trails.

As far as the rub at full lock, any chance you'll get some new wheels with less backspacing? I'm thinking reducing from 4" to 3.5" on my next set of wheels to help limit my rubbing issues.

Good luck on the rocker guards, I can give you my thread on how mine were installed; pretty well done, but the drawback for having them snugged well under the door is that while they protect the rocker panels, I can't really use them the pivot around trees or even use a Hi-Lift at a right angle on them (curve of the door impedes the top of the jack).

Get a locker. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Thanks for the PNWBR website.

As I said in the PM, the shackles from ebay, based on there description sound like they are just as stout as my warrior shckles. The hardest part about making them is getting all your holes lined up properls before welding.

For the sliders, I just built a set for my brother-in-law. They're ot as fancy as the ones that I have, but I used 1.5"X3" rectangle 1/8" wall tubing which is what the ones that I got from Ryan were originally made from. I ran those for years before putting the boat tub mod to it, and that was only for tree pivoting. On my brother-in-laws, I made them so they stuck out a little farther than my original ones did, and instead of plating it and bolting it to the frame as mine were, I just went ahead and welded the rectangle tubing directly to the frame. They turned out just as strong as I was able to highlift the entire side of the truck off the ground with them.

I'm down for a tube bending/welding/fab party too. That would be great. We could make the shackles and sliders easy in a day.

Paul, I'm not rubbing the arms, I'm rubbing the running board tupperware where it mounts in the fenderwell. I'll have to measure the backspacing when I revert to road duty.

Maybe the next gathering will be a tube bending party?? Paul wants a cage, right?

Thanks for the input. As for tires, it seems like IROCK's are pretty popular but that's a mighty open tread patern for a rig to be driven to and from the trail. My off-road tires will probably see less than 2000 miles per year. By the time they wear out, Travis will have to buy the next set;)

BFG M/T's seem to work pretty well here in the NW.Good on the trail and road if you rotated them you should be able to 40K+ out of them
Get the locker, you will get use to how it drives, which is not too bad

I am going to have to agree whole heartedly on the locker. It is a night and day difference off road and the little bit of driving you plan to do on the street is not going to hurt anything. My recommendation would be a detroit. They are pretty forgiving once you learn how to drive with them, ie... tight turns on pavement with low throttle(less torque) will aloow the mechanism to ratchet.

I'm LS in back, doesn't that limit me to a PowerTrax. Budget is a huge concern.

Because of the the LS you are limited to the powertrax no-slip, a detroit would require resetting your gears

you could always add a few more disc in your factory L/S clutch pack to make it a tighter

Because of the the LS you are limited to the powertrax no-slip, a detroit would require resetting your gears

you could always add a few more disc in your factory L/S clutch pack to make it a tighter
That's a viable solution. Now I just have to find them:rolleyes:

"Budget - Smudget"

Phil -

Not sure what gears you have, but the easiest and best solution is pull out the rear liited slip and dump in new gears and ARBs, front and rear. . . Okay, so not the cheapest option, but hey, do your part to stimulate the lagging economy. . . :rolleyes: Air (or electric) lockers give you the best of both worlds - great on the highway, great on the trails. . . Yes, I am sure you already know this. . .

Hey, I'm up for a welding party, heck, I just want to see the Mega-Garage. I'll probably hold off on the cage for now, but would like to help and get a chance to brainstorm some more ideas for mods or trips. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

If you're still thinking about the TrXus Mt's here's my comments about them. Unlike what I've heard from some people, I have 25k on mine, and they are still over 65% tread left. They are great in basically every condition, snow, ice, pavement, wet pavement, they did pretty well on the beach in Texas when I drove down for spring break last year. Th only thing I've noticed they slip on are painted lines on the road when it rains, like if you stop at a stop light and give it too much gas, when the rear tires get to the thicker "stop line" they sometimes break loose.

Cons, they are a little noisy until you hit about 45 on the road. They have good "forward" traction, but sometimes the front tires seem to not catch the edge, so you will keep going straight in really greasy mud, that is until you give it some gas. These tires are semi hard to balance too. I'm pretty sure one of my tires has over .5 lb of wheel weights on it. But, the tires were only balanced once when they were first put on, and have stayed balanced for the 25k that I have on them and I've only rotated them once...

I like them, when these wear (I'm guessing I'll get at least 45k on them) out I'll probably get them in a larger size.

I had a LS in the back of mine... it ended up being worth it for me to buy a $10 open 8.8 carrier on ebay and an aussie locker rather than buying a special LS carrier locker. You should not have to redo the gears when you change the carrier, I didn't and i have put like 40K miles on it now with no problem. And I love my locker, i use it for daily driving 400 miles a month too and I don't even know it's there.

Phil -

Not sure what gears you have, but the easiest and best solution is pull out the rear liited slip and dump in new gears and Electric Lockers, front and rear. . . Okay, so not the cheapest option, but hey, do your part to stimulate the lagging economy. . . :rolleyes: Eelectric Lockers give you the best of both worlds - great on the highway, great on the trails. . . Yes, I am sure you already know this. . .

That WAS the plan until my employer of 29 years was kind enough the blind-side me with a pink slip Dec 21st 2006

Anyway, on order is 1ea M-4700-B TracLoc rebuild kit, 1 set Warrior 153 look-a-like's and 1 set 2" poly spring bushings.

I found complete 8.8 rebuild instructions on the interweb, including a little trick to make getting the S spring back in, a little easier.

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech001.htm

This write-up seems pretty detailed from the sections I have read so far.

hey phil, you still post here eh? :p

and whats this? hahaha

Maybe if I show up at Ryans dads garage with a case of Alaskan Amber and some pipe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JAKE! how ya doin man??:wavey:

Jeeze, I did say that didn't I?:bsnicker::crazy:

You should check out our Tahuya Aftermath thread

Edit; too late you already did

Back