All aluminum radiator with electric fan/custom shroud | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All aluminum radiator with electric fan/custom shroud

I built this setup for my Sport Trac last year but when I went to install it I found out that my old DCC fan controller had crapped out on me and I never got around to getting a new one and installing it before I sold the truck last month.

The radiator is an essentially brand new, all aluminum unit, Silla 2557AA, and should fit the 01-05 Sport Tracs, as well as various Rangers and Explorers. It was installed in my truck and taken for a test drive, but when I realized the fan controller was bad (fan wouldn't shut off) I pulled everything and reinstalled the old radiator.

The fan was pulled from a 1997 Volvo 960 and is reputed to be a very high flowing fan, similar to the Lincoln Mark VIII and Taurus fans that are so popular, but it has a much better shroud/mount.

The shroud I built out of aluminum tubing, aluminum angle and an aluminum street (that may or may not have previously been a Dead End sign that somehow made it into my garage years ago). The shroud and fan are designed with 2 locating pins at the bottom and 2 bolts at the top, along with a foam seal to the radiator. By removing the 2 bolts at the top and disconnecting the wiring you can then lift the assembly out far easier than the stock setup.

I fit this unit in my 2001 Sport Trac with a 302 swap and cleared the water pump just fine, as I located the fan up high so that the thickest part of the motor was offset from the fan hub on the pump. There shouldn't be any issue on a V6 truck since it has significantly more room up front. I was a little concerned with a potential buildup of pressure down low preventing proper airflow so I added 4 holes at the bottom, as the Volvo's shroud had a similar design. They had a flap that laid over these holes, but I don't think it's necessary.

Looking to get $150 plus shipping for it. I'll be driving from Gainesville, FL to Oak Ridge, TN on Sunday and then back on either Thursday or Friday if you're along the route and want to save on shipping.
IMG_20170511_161140.gif

IMG_20170511_161343.gif

IMG_20170511_161401.gif

IMG_20170511_162605.gif

Price drop... $140 shipped.

Sold!

Back