1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

all new brakes

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by thegoon543, December 29, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. thegoon543

thegoon543 Active Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '10 Escape Hybrid Limited
      im getting all new brakes (new rotors, drums, shoes, and pads). i got an estimate of $900 for a set of better quality parts rather than inferior quality. does this seem reasonable?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MazdaOR

MazdaOR New Member

City, State:
      San Diego, CA
      '91 Mazda Navajo Lx(SOLD)
      $900 seem really high for just replacing those parts.... I just did a quick search on Autozone.com and found this out for you...

Rear Drum - $30.99 each
      Rear Brake Shoes - $19.99 a set
      Brake Rotor and Hub Assembly - $45.99 each
      High Performance Ceramic Brake Pads - $36.99 a set
      Haynes Manual - $15.99

A grand total of ... $226.93 for the parts and it would take a good weekend day to do it. It is not worth $900 to me.... but that is your choice.

4. thegoon543

thegoon543 Active Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      oh well....

yeah, i thought it seemed kinda high. however, i wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to fix brakes on my own, not to mention my the homeowners association in my condo complex does not allow you to work on your car in the parking lot. well, ill just be glad to have new brakes. its been a while since i have needed new brakes, anyway. im not too worried. thanks for the opinion.

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Wow, come to Knoxville, and a friend and myself will save you about $500. I could change them all in two to three hours. The 2nd gen. brakes can be done in less than an hour.
      Your brakes are not the simplest of late, so you should have a decent machanic do it. But $650 labor, wow, my ethics wouldn't allow me, or my friend, to charge that kind of price. Look elsewhere, good luck,
      DonW

6. thegoon543

thegoon543 Active Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      thanks for the offer CDW6212R. im actually not in boone at the moment, back in eastern NC where im originally from.

i was thinking they would have to be pretty good brakes for him to charge that much. the labor rate over there is $72/hr and they said it would take around 4½ hrs to do. they havent started on it yet, but they will early in the morning (around 8 or so). i have already told them to do it, but i doubt they have started (cuz i dropped it off around 5 this afternoon when they were very busy). im wondering if i should call and leave them a message telling them that i might just go elsewhere because it seems somewhat steep for brakes, especially from what you guys have been telling me. i might have a guilty conscience if i don't call and then end up paying that $900.

the guy did tell me that he could use cheaper parts and it would only be $600, but since im in the mountains 9 months out of the year, i feel like i need to get some good quality brakes.

i dunno. i need to get them fixed but im just extremely wary of being ripped off cuz its just the way i have always been.

7. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      If you are hard on brakes then don't use cheap pads. I am a Rural Carrier, and the factory pads are always an excellent choice. I am using a 93 Limited, with 107K. I have replaced three calipers, two rotors, and the front brake lines.
      If you aren't in dire need of brakes, you might get more for your money by waiting. You could shop for parts first, while you find a more reasonable labor cost. If you are going to keep the truck for a while, and especially if you are hard on brakes, you might choose to replace the front calipers, lines, and at least the rear hardware. All of these extra parts. at AutoZone, etc., will be less than $75. If the rear cylinders show any sign of leakage, they should also be replaced, as a pair.

My point is that, when "they" get in there, they might suggest some of these additional items, at an additional cost. It is very easy for a shop[ to suggest changing all of the rotors, drums pads, shoes at one time. We here, my friend and I, would only suggest what you really need. Some of those extra parts may be in greater need of replacing than the main parts which they are initially going to replace.

Good luck,
      DonW

8. pear

pear New Member

City, State:
      Cutler, OH
      02EB/02EB /C4,C5&C6Vettes
      Dude I'm sorry but this one is a no brainer!!!!! ..............if you have that much extra money to blow, you have no brains!! Do your self a favor and find a good honest mechanic, and get the job done right, and save your right arm. I'm sorry but I think I'd have to report these rip-off artists to the Better Business Bureau, we can do without jerks like this.........."In a World of Compromise Some Men Don't"...."pear"

9. thegoon543

thegoon543 Active Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      cost breakdown

alright, this is the cost breakdown i got from the guy:

rotors --- 2@112.81 = 225.62
      drums --- 2@73.36 = 146.72
      pads+shoes total = 100
      seals --- 2@11 = 22

labor = 324

total (tax incl) = about 900

he told me that this is using premium quality parts rather than standard quality parts. i just spoke with him on the phone and got him to go ahead and do it. its his word against mine since i know absolutely nothing about how to fix brakes. i cant say that he is ripping me off because i looked online at parts and sure enough there were high end parts for what he was telling me. i cant have cheaper parts being in the mountains and using my brakes hard like i do. but im at least glad i got an explanation (breakdown) for the seemingly high cost. my brakes were in pretty bad shape going in there (even i knew that), so if he does what he says he'll do with the higher quality parts, then i will pay the man what he's asking. my mom takes her camry to him and she seems satisfied, so im more or less sure i will be, too. 'nuff said.

Last edited: December 30, 2004
    10. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      South FL
      02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
      Dude, Brake drums are brake drums. No one makes a high quailty brake drum. They are all the same. They could also cut the drums since they are used far less then the fronts. The front rotors? That's really high for those. Are they slotted or drilled? If not they are not any better then standard rotors. Tire rack has brembo blanks for $38 less per rotor. The pads & shoes are about right. The seals you need, & they are charging you full retail for those. Since Autozones website has those listed at $6 each. Your getting ripped off man. I can understand if you don't want to do it yourself. At least shop around a little. Go to a midus or some shop that does brakes & mufflers. If this guy works on you moms car ask for a discount for your bussiness.

11. -=c=-

-=c=- New Member

City, State:
      Tulsa, OK
      '98 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
      Yep you are definitely getting taken.

How do you even know they are "premium" brakes? Just cause the guy said they were? Did you get a warranty?

Heck, for that price, I'd let midas bend me over the table. At least then I can get a lifetime warranty.

12. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      2004 Acura TL
      Did they say anything about machining the rotors and drums? Even though the rotors and drums are new, I have seen new rotors that have had to be cut down about 5-thousands off just to get a even surface. I believe two rotors can cost two hours. Atleast when I machined two rotors last time my boss put down two hours for it.

-Drew

13. old mechanic

old mechanic Well-Known Member

City, State:
      R.I.
      92 xlt
      NO! Your NOT getting riped off. Thats what a good shop gets to do that work. Go to Sears or Midas and see what you will get charged. My brother went to Sears and got a estimate for the same plus calipers and rear wheel cylinders. $1600.00!
      Expect to always pay more when you have a 4 WD SUV.

14. thegoon543

thegoon543 Active Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      all done

yeah, they said my old rotors and drums were in such bad shape they had to be replaced. i knew they were from the violent shuddering every time i hit the brakes.

i just picked it up from the shop about an hour ago. they knocked it down to 830, and my brakes work great, so im satisfied. i don't believe i was getting taken for a ride. i needed new brakes, thats what i got, and they work fine. im no mechanic and i wouldnt have tried to argue with him and look like an idiot anyway due to my lack of brake knowledge. besides, brakes are the only thing on my car that i have had to have fixed in the past 5 years (thats from being in the mountains most of the year). i have good brakes, thats all i needed.

and if brakes are the only expensive thing to happen to my truck in a while, im considering myself in good shape.

Last edited: December 30, 2004
    15. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Guys, bottom line: Some people don't know enough about automobiles to make an informed decision about costs, needed services, etc. I recognize at least two of you from this thread.

The whole point of having this forum is to help those people who don't know any better.

Most of these reply's were accurate. The cost of those major brake parts for a 1st generation Explorer(it does not matter 4WD/2WD) should only be around $300(high side retail). I agree that the cheapest can be had for about $200.

The most important thing that this forum can do for the novice, is to advise you about which components are so important that you should buy the absolute best. It is almost as important to teach you which parts do not really matter where they come from.

Unless you are racing, for street use , all rotors are basically of equal quality. The same goes for drums, seals, calipers, brake hardware, and brake lines. You should buy the best fluid that you can, and unless you baby your brakes, buy a high quality set of pads or shoes.

By these guidlines, the 1st gen. Explorer brake parts could have been bought by anyone for about $300, including brake lines, hardware, and rebuilt calipers.

Labor is a whole different subject. Everyone has a different availability of qualified mechanics, and different labor rates. I personally wouldn't charge over $300 for labor for installing just the major components. But some people may not know where else to go, and are stuck with what they have.

Price the rotors and drums at Autozone, plus seals, hardware, rebuilt calipers, and even wheel cylinders. Price the pads and shoes from Ford, retail. All of those parts could have been bought by the owner, and taken to whatever mechanic is available. In this example, more 160,000 mile parts could have been replaced, for less money.

If the advice from this forum is heeded, many hundreds of dollars can be saved on these basic maintenance services. I hope someone learns something from this thread. Good luck all,
      Don W