All right...so what size headunit will really work with my 98 X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All right...so what size headunit will really work with my 98 X

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Ok I'm just trying to figure out what headunit will work with my 98 Explorer. Obviously a single DIN unit would work...but what about the 1.5 DIN or Double DIN??? Also do the the headunits with fold out screens (such as the Alpine IVA-C800) work well with the Explorers? I'm worried about the fold out screen hitting the vents above the unit. Thanks

Just when I knew about everything there was to know about installing audio in the '91-'94 Explorer's the parents go out and buy a '98.....sheesh.

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a look at the Crutchfield website and look at the "what fits" section.

Good luck.....

Originally posted by aldive
Take a look at the Crutchfield website and look at the "what fits" section.

Good luck.....

bad idea. crutchfield will tell you that you cant fit anything but a single din unit - they are WRONG. obviously you can fit a single din unit, you can also fit a double din unit, numerous people have done so (i almost did, but i went with a single din because of features.) the motorized monitor units should work fine; i dont think theyll fold back and hit the vents, though, they probably will block some of the air coming out of them.

I have to agree with tbomb, any of the sizes will fit. Its just a matter of install. As far as the flip screens, I know that most of them you can tilt the screen to your liking.

Also do the the headunits with fold out screens (such as the Alpine IVA-C800) work well with the Explorers? I'm worried about the fold out screen hitting the vents above the unit.

I have the Kenwood with the fold out screen and it has no problems with the vents. I always close them when it is in use though.

hid_install_051.gif

take it from me, a double din unit WILL fit....

Back