All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

I've got a 99 4 door XLS but there is no white box in the rear panel where the jack is? What's up with that? Power locks work and everything so it's got to be somewhere just have no idea where. The vehicle has been re-built so I wonder if it may have been placed somewhere else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strange Problem after Resetting Keyless Entry

Today I reset the keyless (keypad) entry (which I had never done before). Everything worked as it should have per xan's post.

The problem is, after doing this, the front and rear cabin lights (but not the middle ones) will not turn off. They stay on while driving and while parked. I checked all the doors and hatch to see if they were open, but they weren't. There is also no door ajar light, so I don't think that's the problem. The keypad illuminates when it is touched, but does go out after 5 seconds, so i dont' think a button is stuck (constant contact on the terminal), although I suppose it is possible.

I tried erasing the code and resetting it. Which worked as it should have, but had no effect on the lighting problem.

Any ideas? I really don't want this to kill my battery.

Thanks,

Greg

Okay...I've read through this forum and I think I might have a handle on the problem...but just to make sure:

I have a 99 Limited in which everything has worked fine in the 4 years that I've had it up until about two weeks ago. Since that time, here is what I have:

1. The doors will unlock using the FOB or keypad.

2. The doors will not lock using the FOB or keypad, but if the lock button on the FOB is pressed twice, the lights wil flash and the horn will beep.

3. The doors will lock and unlock using the switch inside the driver's door.

4. When the truck is put in gear and the brake pedal released, the doors do not lock anymore.

I suspect that it is either a bad RAP, or maybe some dirty contacts leading to it (I've had moisture in that area before).

Questions:

1. If it is a bad RAP, what do they cost?

2. Is it possible to get to the contacts for the RAP to clean them, and how?

3. How can I tell the difference between bad contacts and a bad RAP?

Thanks in advance

I've got a 99 4 door XLS but there is no white box in the rear panel where the jack is? What's up with that? Power locks work and everything so it's got to be somewhere just have no idea where. The vehicle has been re-built so I wonder if it may have been placed somewhere else?

It's not right in the panel where the jack is. Take the panel off and look forward, under the panel between the driver's side rear door and the access panel.

I skimmed through this thread but I don't think I saw what I was looking for.

I have an 01 XLS that I am SICK of the doors locking everytime I put it in reverse or drive. How do I keep this from happening?!

Thanks, and i'm sorry if I missed this coverage in the thread..... I'm at work (shhh!)

hey i have an 02 xls 4x4...ya i know this is the wrong forum but this is the best place to go for keyless entry.

i just programmed my key fob and it works perfect and was only 25 bux from a junkyard.

i was wondering if their was a way to get the paking lights to flash when you lock the doors? the horn chirps after 2 presses and everything but i would like the flashing lights.

i dont have daytime running lights...does that make a difference?

and if their is a better thread for my question please point me thier as i cannot find anything in the search.

thanks much.from canada!

Have a '95 Ford remote fob, trying to program a '00 Mercury Mountaineer. Went through the eight power cycles and the car entered program mode but wouldn't allow the fob to register. The fob works as I use it on my '95. Any ideas?

hey well i just bought my 96 explr E.B. and the code worked fine but the keyless remote wont work tried programing it but still nothing .......................maybe defective??

I skimmed through this thread but I don't think I saw what I was looking for.

I have an 01 XLS that I am SICK of the doors locking everytime I put it in reverse or drive. How do I keep this from happening?!

Thanks, and i'm sorry if I missed this coverage in the thread..... I'm at work (shhh!)

Not wrong there, how do we find the info on this please. :D

disable auto lock

Not wrong there, how do we find the info on this please. :D

There is a procedure in your owners manual how to disable it. I did it a few years ago and it worked great. It involves turning the key off and on a few times while doing something with the switch, if I remember correctly. If you don't have an owners manual, get one off ebay or borrow one. It is a fairly simple operation.

dont mean to get anyone mad but my explorer keycode was located under the dash but this is great for those that have bad luck w/ paying dealer prices nowadays, great write up.:thumbsup::salute:

need help

where would i look for that little box with my code on it in a 2001 ford explorer sport trac ????? if you can help thanks ........

where would i look for that little box with my code on it in a 2001 ford explorer sport trac ????? if you can help thanks ........
Early introduction 2001 Tracs and later 2001 Tracs have so many electrical differences that they can be considered to be like two separate model years. The early version was built from early 2000 through 7/23/2000 and the later version ran through a more normal production run from 7/24/2000 through the summer of 2001. All were sold as 2001 models.

Early 2001 model year ST: RAP module behind the trim below the rear window.

Late 2001 model year ST: CSM module inside the right hand dashboard near the passenger airbag.

Man your awsome you now saved me hours of embarrassment with a coat hanger trying to get my keys when i lock them in the car!!!!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

Driver side lock doesn't work on auto

Hi all.
My problem is my drivers side lock won't lock or unlock with anything electronic (i.e. key fob or inside door keypad). It only locks and unlocks with a key. My car is a 95 Explorer - Eddie Bauer. Do I need to replace the handle? Thank you ahead of time.

I just bought a key less entry remote...and ive done everything and i still cant get it to programme? ITS A 97 XLT can anyone give me any ideas? I have turned the key 5x and thats when the doors lock to confirm programming. Then i hit the button within the 20 seconds and it doesn't work...what am i doing wrong?

I had the same problem with a FOB I had purchased. It dawned on me that the FOB battery may be dead, so I replaced both batteries in the FOB and everything worked perfectly after that.

I had the same problem with a FOB I had purchased. It dawned on me that the FOB battery may be dead, so I replaced both batteries in the FOB and everything worked perfectly after that.

I found out it was my door 'actuator'. I went to a stereo alarm place and they installed and aftermarket actuator for $50.00 parts and labor.

I have the 2004 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6L V8. I just bought the vehicle and the dealership told me 50 bucks. Is this the same method for my type of vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the 2004 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6L V8. I just bought the vehicle and the dealership told me 50 bucks. Is this the same method for my type of vehicle?
You have to be more specific then this. Try starting with the problem you have.

Back