Alternatives to the EX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternatives to the EX

wheeling

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
I have been lurking in this forum for a long time and waiting for the EX to work out all the porblems. I like the hightech approach of the EX and that's what attracts me to the ex. However, it is also the area that holds me back, due to all the issues discussed here. Now I'm waiting for the new upgrade to come early next year. That is also the timeline for me to buy.

In the meantime, I was also looking for the alternatives. I found that there is an Infiniti FX coming early next year that compares to the EX favorabily, even on price. Just want to know what otehr people think.

http://www.infinitiusa.com/all-new-jx/?dcp=ppi.63023880.&dcc=0.240189298

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Infinity makes some nice vehicles, but for me, that wouldn't be a viable alternative for the explorer. I don't really like the styling of it, looks too much like a station wagon. (I know the new Explorer isn't much more than a glorified station wagon, but it looks a bit beefier) Even though many have had their fair share of problems with MFT, it's one of the things I love best about my Ex. The Infinity is also lacking in the tow capacity, which is important to me because we tow a 20' travel trailer every other weekend during the warmer months.

Overall, I'm happy with my Ex and haven't had to take it back to the dealer for anything yet. My only complaint right now is a pesky rattle in the moonroof area that drives me nuts, but I think I have it narrowed down to moonroof track and I'm working on a fix.

The only thing I personally found to consider against the Explorer was the Volvo CX60 and CX90. All the other vehicles that came close to what I wanted were too chinsy with build quality, $65k+, or too damn ugly lol. The Volvos trade off some of the user interface tech for some interesting safety tech.

I was thinking of the Dodge Durango actually.

IF they come out with the 8 speed transmission, that would make it a game changer. The 5 speed from what I've heard is not that great.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but have yet to experience any issues with the MFT or any other problems. Build date 10/11.
I was looking at the Audi Q7 and BMW X5. I was all set with the Q7 and my neighbor has an 11 Explorer XLT and said I should take a look.
The dealer let me have an 11 used on their lot for a couple of days and I was sold. I liked the overall package and that the fact that is was built in the USA.
When all was said and done on my features and benefits spreadsheet, it was all even for me. Then there was the supporting our economy :usa: that made the decision to tilt towards the Ford.
So far, no regrets.
The only downside I experienced was the dealerships that I dealt with. The Audi dealership had a more professional attitude where the Ford dealer led me to feel like i was in some sort of Ebay auction.

The Inifiniti is definitely interesting to me now that they have toned down the front end from the FX.
My thoughts:
Interior: I like them both. The JX has a more upscale look to it and I prefer the buttons and knobs of the JK over the annoying touch controls in the Ex. MFT- if you are seriously considering the Ex, I'd wait to see what happens with MFT. Right now it is useable. Not pleasant to use, but useable. Infiniti has the rear door lock mech. at the door handle; Ford has the old-school pop-up by your shoulder.
Performance: The Ex has a few more HP and higher towing. The JX has CVT and may get the 5.0 engine at some point. I could not find GVW specs on the JX so the HP may or may not be significant. Handling is a big ? but I would lean towards the JX being better. Have to see on that. At this point I would take the JX and rent/borrow a truck to do my towing the few times I have to move my boat.
Reliability: Hmmm.... Have a look around here. I don't know anything about Inifiniti new car launches but they seem to do evolutionary changes. Ford seems to have tried a pretty big change with the Ex and has had problems because of the scope of new-ness.
American Made: Points to Ford, assuming the JX is built in Japan. I bought my Ex because it is American made- and Ford has really disappointed me with it.

The Durango is not quite in the same league as these two. It is less refined in basically every way except winning the HP comp.

If you can wait, I think the new X5 is due in 2013 and there have been rumors of an X7. The X-series have grown over the years so the new X5 may have proper 7-passenger seating.

Oh- Dealership Experience!
Visit the Ford dealership and have that nostalgic experience of "Car buying the way it has always been". Curse every employee after you leave kind of fun. That's not entirely true as the service guys are fine. Since you will spend more time talking to them than you do the salesman it is a good thing.
Visit the Infiniti dealership and you will wonder why Ford can't do better. Probably has to do with target market but Ford is playing in that market now.

It will be interesting to hear about the JX's build quality and handling once the testers get their hands on one. But I purchased the 2009 Infiniti FX--the first model year of the new design. My FX has been everything as expected with no significant issues aside from a failed tail light covered under warranty. The engine is sound, and the electronics work with no issues--and I have all of them as my FX has the tech package.

While I appreciate Ford's efforts to respond to the complaints raised in this forum, that appears flawed in that there should not be so many issues to begin with, especially that two build years have passed.

I have sworn by Japanese products for years due to quality perception on my part and they have not let me down (Isuzu, Mazda, Toyota, Acura and Infiniti). The Explorer is the first American made SUV that appealed to me in a while, especially after upgrading the interior. I want to buy one, but also do not want to have buyers remorse if it ends up in the shop right away.

While I appreciate Ford's efforts to respond to the complaints raised in this forum, that appears flawed in that there should not be so many issues to begin with, especially that two build years have passed.

For what it's worth, there has only been one build year that has passed, and that was only about 8 months long. We're only into month 4 of the second build year and I can say that so far my 2012 build year has been pretty much flawless - but it is early days for me.

American Made: Points to Ford, assuming the JX is built in Japan. I bought my Ex because it is American made- and Ford has really disappointed me with it.

The JX is made here in the great USA. by reading the specs on paper, it is really apealing. The interior is really refined and INfiniti is known for its tech savvy, such as the around view backup system, cross trafic intervention, etc. And the price is really comparable to the EX, too.

I like technology and the idea of MFT, but it doesnot do it promised. So wait and see what Ford can offer after another upgrade. We all know 2.11, just hope this is not another of that kind.

The only think I would add on the JX, is to make sure you compare apples to apples on costs. The JX can bump another $10K or so by adding options, such as the driver's Technology package.

Sorry, that Infinity is just too fugly for me.

it has a starting price 12000 more than the ex
brianj

Looks are definitely toned. ...and it could be worse- it could be a QX56. That has got to be the most hideous looking vehicle produced in the last 20 years.

Maybe 30.

+1 that is one awful looking station wagon. Why not get a QX that is much better looking.

I'm sorry, but is that sarcasm lol? 100% agree with Joe Dirt that the new QX56 is handedly one of the ugliest production vehicles ever released. It looks like Tonka, Hyundai, and a submarine builder collaborated in building it and each ended up blindly contributing to 1/3 of the vehicle.

No sarcasm here the QX is actually a very well designed attractive SUV. Now, the old QX was an ugly duckling. Beauty it always in the eye of the beholder....

No sarcasm here the QX is actually a very well designed attractive SUV. Now, the old QX was an ugly duckling. Beauty it always in the eye of the beholder....

The QX is just a little more expensive than an Explorer (like almost double). They are not even in the same league. I agree that the new QX is hideous.

My neighbor has an 11' QX56... you either love or hate the styling, but it is an excellent driving truck. Can't believe how smooth it is or how sharp it hands for a such a large heavy vehicle. And it flies, that truck has crazy passing power and acceleration, and mileage is not bad at all for being like 5600lbs with a 400hp V8. He gets like 16 city, and 21 highway. Not far off from what people have been averaging in their Explorers when you consider the weight and power difference. That 7 speed auto it has is one slick trans.

Much much better looking and driving vehicle then the previous QX which just was sorta harsh and cheap build quality.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just walked out of a Dodge dealer. Took a look at the Durango Citadel. It didn't impress me. It just felt cheap on the interior. It's essentially the same build you'd find in an upscale pickup. I'm sure it would be a little more enjoyable to drive than the Explorer, but not worth the huge hit to gas mileage and much cheaper feel to me. Also, the seats weren't nearly as comfortable.

Back