• Register Today It's free!

alternator help

Devon95

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Mazda Navajo
Hey guys I think my alternator berrings may be going out. I'm getting some interesting noises going on with it. It always kinda rattled a bit for asking as I've owned the truck witch has been for about 5 years. But now I noticed on my way home from work I heard a pinging type sound coming from the engine. So when I got up my drive way It was kinda like scraping sound so I pop'd hood and the sound was coming from the altinator. I'm hoping it can hold in there for two more weeks until I get paid.

So what are you're thoughts? Could it be the altinator? How long will it last?

Yes, it could. I replaced my alternator for bad bearings about a month ago. I first heard noise back in the dead of winter, and I held out several months to replace it. No problems other than an increasingly irritating noise.

However, that is only my experience. I have had belt driven accessories suddenly lock up without warning and put me disabled on the road. Sorry that I am not much help, but this is not easy to predict.

If it is alternator bearings there is no way to tell how long they will last. From my experience with AC and DC motors (fractional HP to over 750 HP) once bearings start making enough noise to notice they could fail at any time. To add to the problem, the bearing is not on a line shaft (i.e. like a pump shaft) but under side pressure from the belt which is an 'overhanging load' and makes the shaft bearing fail sooner. Some people believe that getting some heavy oil or grease into the bearing will help. I've never been able to prove either way.

Back