Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Alternator or starter???

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by sasha, October 24, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. sasha

sasha New Member

City, State:
    Avondale AZ,
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 ford explorer
    Went to start truck yesterday (03 Ford Explorer XLS 4x4) and it just clicked and clicked. Charged the battery so I know it's not that. How do I know if it's the alternator or the starter? Is there a way to tell?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Why did you have to charge the battery?

If the alternator is doing its job, the battery will be charged, unless it sat for prolonged amount of time. If not, the engine running will drain it fairly quick.

Do you have access to a multi meter? If the battery has about 12.5v charge to it, and the cables are good, and you hear a clicking noise from the starter when turning the key, it could be the solenoid on the starter that's bad. Does all the interior lights, radio, etc work alright?

If the battery and starter are good, then the power isn't getting to the solenoid. That could be a loose cable connection or a bad cable.

If the alternator is good, it will read about 14.7v at the battery when engine is running. But since you can't tell that right now, it needs bench tested to confirm.

First check all your cables for loose connections, corrosion, breaks. If good.... time to remove the starter and bench test it, then the battery, then the alternator. Most parts stores will do this for free. If all test fine, then a bad cable is suspect from inner corrosion.

4. sasha

sasha New Member

City, State:
    Avondale AZ,
    2003 ford explorer
    I charged the battery just to make sure it wasn't that.

Thank you for your reply. We are going to be working on it tonight.