• Register Today It's free!

Alternator smoking

Kyle Dagutis

Reaction score
City, State
Athens
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0
I just picked up a 2002 explorer XLT, and have been fixing some of the issues it has such as the 4x4 (needed a shift module), a couple windows, blend door, today I decided to charge the air conditioning system with Freon. The compressor finally decided to kick on and I was getting cold air. After this change the rubber cover on top of the alternator covering a 10mm nut started to smoke after a few minutes of running. This was not happening before i charged the system with the freon. I have no idea why this is happening and was wondering if anyone had anything like this happen before? The alternator and battery are new according to the previous owner. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First check that all your battery connections, and grounds are tight and not corroded. If that all looks good I would measure the current draw of the A/C compressor clutch to see if it is drawing too much current for some reason. For that connection to be smoking the alternator has got to be pushing a whole lot of current into something...

Thanks for the response!! I'll try grounding the alternator first thing in the morning. How would I check the voltage on the compressor clutch? I have a feeling that the issue is something with the compressor.

You'd be looking for current (amperage) draw in series with the compressor clutch. You would have to break the positive feed to the clutch, and run it through a multimeter set to D.C. and current/amperage. Make sure to check the amp raring of the meter, and its duty cycle.

You can also ohm out the +24 and common, a low reading would mean it is likely shorted out.

Back