Aluminum wheel corrosion - Spidering | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aluminum wheel corrosion - Spidering

Yup, mine are far worse then that.. water gets in, corrodes and spiders.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Terrible quality. The wheels on my 98 hardly look that bad. I’d sell them and replace with a quality aftermarket.

I have this too on my rims. Its on several wheels, maybe all of them. I have the 20" rims too, so lots of extra shiny that is, in places, degrading. After reading about the wheels on my years' explorer, I was led to believe they were a polished alloy material. Nope!!! It's literally no better than cheap painted rims!!!! A dime-sized chunk is missing out of the front passenger wheel in one spot and you can clearly see that the material that is shiny and polished-looking is some kind of plating or coating or clear paint on top of the material that looks more like the middle of the rim behind the shiny area, under or behind the brake if you will parallel to the ground. I should have realized this when first noticing the bare drab metal look of the area of the wheel that is not-so-shiny in the middle behind the spokes. I recently realized this because I had plans to buff out and polish the rims with spidering and make them new again, but no, I understand now that that can't be done with common tools and effort. Its simply not possible to replicate whatever process Ford has done to SIMULATE a true polished metal rim which THESE RIMS ARE NOT!!! (okay, maybe they are technically clear coated polished aluminum or something but they cannot be easily refurbished by the technically-inclined end user much like the aluminum hood lip paint bubbles which are well documented. Enjoy buying the new wheels and new hood to make up for Ford's penny-pinching and lack of quality parts). end rant.

The wheels are the same polished alloys that are on any vehicle. ALL polished aluminum wheels are clear coated. Aluminum is TERRIBLE with corrosion, and an uncoated wheel would be garbage in months. The problem is likely the clear coating used.

Refinishing the wheels isn’t that big of a job. You could probably get a local sandblaster to strip them for cheap.

I suppose I stand corrected that these ARE indeed polished alloy rims. However, when the polished portion spiders and then flakes off like a coating that's not too dissimilar from silver painted rims it leads one to believe that they are no better or the same as cheap, painted rims, especially given their young age. I'll be asking around at the sandblasting shops and see what better clear coat I can come up with in the spring. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi, I have a 2017 Ford Explorer SUV with 20" stock bright machined face wheel rims. The cleared coat on all 4 wheel rims have started peeling off. I washed my wheel rims with off the shelf tire shampoo and nothing aggressive. There are no chips and scuff as I take care of them. Anyone has previous experience or experiencing the same. Thanks.

Hi, I have a 2017 Ford Explorer SUV with 20" stock bright machined face wheel rims. The cleared coat on all 4 wheel rims have started peeling off. I washed my wheel rims with off the shelf tire shampoo and nothing aggressive. There are no chips and scuff as I take care of them. Anyone has previous experience or experiencing the same. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you experiencing what is in the above link or something else?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you experiencing what is in the above link or something else?

Peter
I am having the problem. It is now with the Ford dealer for digital imaging for Ford to decide if is under warranty replacement.

I am having the problem. It is now with the Ford dealer for digital imaging for Ford to decide if is under warranty replacement.
Your thread was combined with this existing one.

My 17 Sport has 15,000 miles. last week, after an oil change, I noticed that each wheel is de-laminating or oxidizing. The dealer has sent pictures off to Ford, and I'll most likely get a new set of rims.
Looking at the pic, it appears that there an interaction between the rim and the center cap. Has anyone else come across this type of issue, is it common, is the center cap to blame?

20191105_131811.jpg

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. Good luck.

Peter

My 17 Sport has 15,000 miles. last week, after an oil change, I noticed that each wheel is de-laminating or oxidizing. The dealer has sent pictures off to Ford, and I'll most likely get a new set of rims.
Looking at the pic, it appears that there an interaction between the rim and the center cap. Has anyone else come across this type of issue, is it common, is the center cap to blame?

View attachment 175769

That looks like damage to the surface coating, which may expand over time if any air and moisture can get under it. Factory wheel coatings usually are a tougher surface than aftermarket brands, so it takes longer for them to degrade, and they don't get far worse quickly after it begins.

I'd bet a mechanic had something to do with that wheel and cap damage.

Keep some wax on aluminum wheels, that will protect them a lot from corrosion issues.

I have the same issue with spider web discoloration on my '13 Limited wheels. I figured it was just something the previous owner did to scuff them up, but I couldn't imagine what would have done that. Makes sense now. I am planning on plastidipping them anyway.

my 2011 had the same thing on every rim when we had it.

I have this issue on the 20" aluminum rims on my 16. I got one replaced so far. Now the other 3 are very bad.

I have attached a few pics.

Also, the Ford plastic center caps have all been replaced twice already and are now due to be replaced for the third time.

View attachment 166444 View attachment 166445 View attachment 166446

Anyone else have these issues?
Yes. Called Ford. They won't stand behind there Product. Filed a Grievance with the BBB.

Yes. Called Ford. They won't stand behind there Product. Filed a Grievance with the BBB.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your vehicle is now over 9 years old. What do you want Ford to do? It is also very unlikely that Ford actually manufactures the wheels.
I personally don't see this as a valid complaint. Good luck though and please report back with any results. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your vehicle is now over 9 years old. What do you want Ford to do? It is also very unlikely that Ford actually manufactures the wheels.
I personally don't see this as a valid complaint. Good luck though and please report back with any results. Thanks.

Peter
This issue was reported to the Ford Dealer I bought it from on 3/19/2018 while under a Ford Extended "BUMPER TO BUMPER" warrantee. I think my complaint is Valid!! My Vehicle and hundreds of other Explorer wheels have been ignored for over 9 years. I worked for a Ford Dealership for several years and our Customer Service was excellent then. Looks like GREED has taken over their customer Service now. I am surprised with the hundreds of complaints that a "CLASS ACTION SUIT" has not been started yet. I think it needs some strong consideration!!

This issue was reported to the Ford Dealer I bought it from on 3/19/2018 while under a Ford Extended "BUMPER TO BUMPER" warrantee. I think my complaint is Valid!! ...............................................
If you had the PremuimCARE ESP, the following is stated as NOT being covered; ........wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers,.........

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you had the PremuimCARE ESP, the following is stated as NOT being covered; ........wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers,.........

Peter
The Point is: Hundreds & Hundreds of Customer Complaints have gone on Unresolved by Ford. The reason these wheels corrode is that the wheel has only a Protective coating on the visual side of the wheel. The corrosion then enters under the clear coat & spreads. This happens in any climate. It has been proven that the problem is in Manufacturing! Thus it is Ford's problem because they put this wheel on their vehicles. So the FACT is Ford is not servicing their Customers on this issue and YOU are only Making their Customer Service look worse by your ignorant attempts to Defend Ford!

Back