• Register Today It's free!

Am I In Kansas Yet?

pseudo-Nerd

Reaction score
City, State
McDonough, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4x4, 4.0L OHC
Just kidding - new guy to this site. Came here quite some time ago to learn about changing out front wheel bearings. Absolutely the right place for detailed info.

Just as I was preparing to replace the bearings - my heater quit working. Well - the unit quit providing heat, fans etc work fine. Learned that there is no longer a simple thermostat to change - rather an enclosed unit the dealer wants $400 for - before labor! Oh for the good ol days...

Would appreciate a point in the right direction for what that unit is, and if available, the same type of step-by-step directions needed to replace.

Well...that's about it for today. It's 22 degrees in not so Hotlanta, GA with a winshield factor of 2 degrees - unbelievable...

Take care all - this is really an awesome site...:salute:

Hey Tbars - glad to meet ya & thx for the quick response...

My categorization of the issue as "Heater core" is likely incorrect (hopefully). The unit/component I'm referring to is the thermostat replacement. It's near the top of the engine, in the front, nearly centered - under the air filter.

It's a black encased unit about a hand's width wide and maybe 2.5" tall - has a (2"?) radiator hose connected to it.

However... now that I'm thinking about the heater core - is there a simple way of diagnosing the issue to eliminate either the heater core or the thermostat as the issue?

Many thanks -

Rick Pelham

Back