Am I the only person with a STOCK AWD 4.0l? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I the only person with a STOCK AWD 4.0l?

Shame

Reaction score
City, State
Kingston, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mounty 5.0 AWD
I have a 2000 explorer XLT with AWD (NOT 4WD) and it has the small 4.0l OHV engine. This vehicle has not been modified in any way. Advance and Autozone say it doesnt exist, Ive had a few others tell me it doesnt exist, Ive even had someone on this forum tell me that it doesnt exist.

It exists. I drive it every day. And in the event youre wondering if I know what Im talking about, I promise that while Im no ASE certified master tech, I did work as a tech at a dealership for a few years before I joined the Army. I DO in FACT know my way around a vehicle. lol...

Has anyone else out there heard of such a machine? When looking for drivetrain parts, should I look for stuff from the 8cyl AWD, or should I look based on the 6cyl 4WD? Its quite the conundrum...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no such thing as a V6 AWD. V6 came either in 2WD or with Control-Trac 4wd.
do you have a knob to the left of your radio that says "AUTO 4HI 4LO"?

Are you sure it inst control trac ? So called "Auto" 4x4 ? Do you have a dash mounted transfer case selector switch ?

The AWD transfer case doesn't bolt to the tranny for a v6 explorer and the v8 tranny doesn't bolt to the v6

Yes, dash knob says auto, hi, lo. No clue how many bolts on the pan but Ill take a look tomorrow.

On an AWD vehicle, that dash knob doesn't exist and there is no low range. You have a 4wd explorer. It is what Ford calls control track 4wd, basically it is set up so it can automatically engage 4wd when there is significant wheel spin. He asked you how many bolts your tranny pan had to verify what type of transmission you had, since as I said before, the AWD transfer case won't bolt to the V6 tranny.

On an AWD vehicle, they are always engaged in 4wd, and there is no low range. The gearbox is replaced by a viscous center differential that has the front and rear ALWAYS engaged. On a 4wd explorer, they are normally rear wheel drive until the 4wd engages.

Ok so Im a GM guy and this ford stuff is new to me. I just went and researched the control trac that I apparently DO have.... NOW i understand. Logic told me that between the "Auto" setting on the dash, and the fact that it does automatically lock up when in snow and ice that it was all wheel drive. Im learning, Im learning... lol! Thanks for the input guys!

Ok so Im a GM guy and this ford stuff is new to me. I just went and researched the control trac that I apparently DO have.... NOW i understand. Logic told me that between the "Auto" setting on the dash, and the fact that it does automatically lock up when in snow and ice that it was all wheel drive. Im learning, Im learning... lol! Thanks for the input guys!

GM deployed a similar system to control-trac in the last gen blazers/jimmys, where it was always on Auto, and had manual settings for HI and LO. Was a much better system then whatever they switched to for the Trailblazers/Envoys.

Ya know, thats right.. I forgot all about those Blazers.. And youre right about the Envoy/Trailblazers too. Those are what I used to work on the most when I was at the dealership (GMC dealer).

AWD Explorers DO NOT have a knob on the dash for Transfer case. if you do, you DO NOT have an AWD 4.0 Explorer. Although I do believe the 4.0 was in the Eddie Bauer, which had AWD.

AWD Explorers DO NOT have a knob on the dash for Transfer case. if you do, you DO NOT have an AWD 4.0 Explorer. Although I do believe the 4.0 was in the Eddie Bauer, which had AWD.

No, there wasn't. Only a 5.0 awd. Ford didn't make an AWD transfer case to bolt up to the 4.0's tranny.

No, there wasn't. Only a 5.0 awd. Ford didn't make an AWD transfer case to bolt up to the 4.0's tranny.

So the Eddie Bauers without V8 Badges, must be 4.0, 2WD?

or 4wd

Back