• Register Today It's free!

Amp and subwoofer install

mwoods269

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
2013 explorer limited with sony sound.Ran the power cable through the small gromet behind the glove compartment.this seem like a slightly different location than my 2011 XLTrouted power wire through the front engine stabilizer bar over to the battery.wiring remote amp wire into fuse panellocating amplifier underneath the passenger seat as there seems to be no other place to put it. Grounding the amp to the seat postpulled rear passenger panel and found sony amplifier was mounted# there as wellappears the subwoofer has 2 voice coilsspliced in to those two sets of wires installed a 3 way switchthis will allow me to turn on my factory sub when I'm unable to carry around my aftermarket sub enclosure. when my sub enclosure is in the vehicle I can simply flip the switchQuestions: can I simply twist the pairs of wires to the subwoofer together to a line level converter?Notes: removing the rear panel was a complete pain. removing the screws around the subwoofer did nothing and I was still unable to remove it.I have a few pictures I can post after I'm finished.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 explorer limited with sony sound.Ran the power cable through the small gromet behind the glove compartment.this seem like a slightly different location than my 2011 XLTrouted power wire through the front engine stabilizer bar over to the battery.wiring remote amp wire into fuse panellocating amplifier underneath the passenger seat as there seems to be no other place to put it. Grounding the amp to the seat postpulled rear passenger panel and found sony amplifier was mounted# there as wellappears the subwoofer has 2 voice coilsspliced in to those two sets of wires installed a 3 way switchthis will allow me to turn on my factory sub when I'm unable to carry around my aftermarket sub enclosure. when my sub enclosure is in the vehicle I can simply flip the switchQuestions: can I simply twist the pairs of wires to the subwoofer together to a line level converter?Notes: removing the rear panel was a complete pain. removing the screws around the subwoofer did nothing and I was still unable to remove it.I have a few pictures I can post after I'm finished.

Ground the amp to chassis.
Test for remote wire (12v) at factory amp and use that.
Get a wiring diagram for the rear sub wire colors and use that for the line level converter

Lastly PLEASE INSTALL FUSE AT BATTERY.

Installing fuse at battery for sure (left out some details as I wanted to brain dump before the wife and kids came home) I did my fair share of audio installs back in the day (90's) so I know a lil.

Where might one find a wiring diagram for the rear sub? Assuming 2 pair means dual voice coil?

I will be installing a Kicker ZX300.1 mono (2ohm amp)to a Kicker L7 10" solo-baric (4ohm dual voice coil). L7 will be ran in parallel to get the ohms down to 2 to match the amp.

Installing fuse at battery for sure (left out some details as I wanted to brain dump before the wife and kids came home) I did my fair share of audio installs back in the day (90's) so I know a lil.

Where might one find a wiring diagram for the rear sub? Assuming 2 pair means dual voice coil?

I will be installing a Kicker ZX300.1 mono (2ohm amp)to a Kicker L7 10" solo-baric (4ohm dual voice coil). L7 will be ran in parallel to get the ohms down to 2 to match the amp.

See if any of these match up...

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~125888

Replacement Sony Subwoofer

I'm thinking of replacing the subwoofer. I came across this sub from Kicker. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_69524_Kicker-CompRT81-40CWRT81.html

It looks like it should fit. This sub is a DVC with 1 OHM coils. The Stock Sony sub is DVC with 1.2 OHM. I'm guessing that shouldn't be too much added stress on the stock amp.

Do you guys think it will increase the performance of the bass? I plan on replacing the other speakers eventually also. Thanks

I'm thinking of replacing the subwoofer. I came across this sub from Kicker. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_69524_Kicker-CompRT81-40CWRT81.html

It looks like it should fit. This sub is a DVC with 1 OHM coils. The Stock Sony sub is DVC with 1.2 OHM. I'm guessing that shouldn't be too much added stress on the stock amp.

Do you guys think it will increase the performance of the bass? I plan on replacing the other speakers eventually also. Thanks
I don't have the answer you are looking for but there are also a few more threads concerning audio and subwoofer installs.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348974&highlight=subwoofer

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382328&highlight=subwoofer

Peter

Back