An example for poor Ford quality/robustness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

An example for poor Ford quality/robustness

mrau92me

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
So, I'm doing an R&R on my '94 Mazda B3000's clutch master cylinder. When I get to what should be the easiest part of removal, loosening the 2 screws that hold the MC to the firewall, using a 3/8" drive ratchet with a 10 mm socket, I loosen the outer one...it took a little bit of effort but I manage to break the screw loose without the use of any penetrant. Then, on the inner one, I get what I thought was the familiar pop sound when a tight threaded fastener initially loosens. It took some effort to continue to turn it, but I thought I was on my way and then suddenly it gets really easy to turn. It turns out that the rectangular insert that the screw threads into had broken free from the firewall and was still attached to the screw. I think it was supposed to be "welded" to the firewall. I use the term weld loosely because a weld is usually supposed to be stronger than the base material. If it was, then the base material is very flimsy.

OK, so what do I do now?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you put vise grips on the back?

Though I fail to see how a fastener seized to an anchor nut on a 19 year old vehicle failing as an example of "poor quality" especially without any penetrant used.

Be careful, I found out that the Ford fanboys will rake you over the coals if you say anything negative about the engineering of their Rangers, lol.

Be careful, I found out that the Ford fanboys will rake you over the coals if you say anything negative about the engineering of their Rangers, lol.

Uhhh, every vehicle has rust and seized fasteners when they're that old. That's not brand specific. But nice try kid.

^ Yup yup, Ford didn't make those fasteners. They bought them from the same people all manufacturers use. I just bought a 91 Ranger, I've broke a few already. Just throw a nut on the back to replace it

Don't get me wrong...I love my B3000, been an awesome truck. But, the anchor nut that broke away from the firewall is in the interior, not even exposed to the outside elements (moisture), not even engine heat.

Besides, I don't blame the fastener itself...I wasn't using a breaker bar or anything. It's poor workmanship at the Ford plant (bad anchor nut weld), or it's poor Ford engineering (if the firewall material is just too thin to withstand loosening of a MC screw).

^ Yup yup, Ford didn't make those fasteners. They bought them from the same people all manufacturers use. I just bought a 91 Ranger, I've broke a few already. Just throw a nut on the back to replace it

Thanks. That's what I'll plan on doing. I'll just have to get another pair of hands to help me...I'll probably have to drag her out there when she's off work and in between Walking Dead episodes.

Back