Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

An example for poor Ford quality/robustness

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by mrau92me, March 25, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. mrau92me

mrau92me Member

City, State:
    Decatur, AL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '02 Mountaineer
    So, I'm doing an R&R on my '94 Mazda B3000's clutch master cylinder. When I get to what should be the easiest part of removal, loosening the 2 screws that hold the MC to the firewall, using a 3/8" drive ratchet with a 10 mm socket, I loosen the outer one...it took a little bit of effort but I manage to break the screw loose without the use of any penetrant. Then, on the inner one, I get what I thought was the familiar pop sound when a tight threaded fastener initially loosens. It took some effort to continue to turn it, but I thought I was on my way and then suddenly it gets really easy to turn. It turns out that the rectangular insert that the screw threads into had broken free from the firewall and was still attached to the screw. I think it was supposed to be "welded" to the firewall. I use the term weld loosely because a weld is usually supposed to be stronger than the base material. If it was, then the base material is very flimsy.

OK, so what do I do now?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. obie

obie Active Member

City, State:
    Northwest Indiana
    2003 Sport Trac 4x4
    Can you put vise grips on the back?

Though I fail to see how a fastener seized to an anchor nut on a 19 year old vehicle failing as an example of "poor quality" especially without any penetrant used.

4. McCormack

McCormack Active Member

City, State:
    S.E. WI
    2000 Ranger
    Be careful, I found out that the Ford fanboys will rake you over the coals if you say anything negative about the engineering of their Rangers, lol.

5. obie

obie Active Member

City, State:
    Northwest Indiana
    2003 Sport Trac 4x4

Uhhh, every vehicle has rust and seized fasteners when they're that old. That's not brand specific. But nice try kid.

6. colintrax

colintrax Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Georgia
    97 XLT
    ^ Yup yup, Ford didn't make those fasteners. They bought them from the same people all manufacturers use. I just bought a 91 Ranger, I've broke a few already. Just throw a nut on the back to replace it

7. mrau92me

mrau92me Member

City, State:
    Decatur, AL
    '02 Mountaineer
    Don't get me wrong...I love my B3000, been an awesome truck. But, the anchor nut that broke away from the firewall is in the interior, not even exposed to the outside elements (moisture), not even engine heat.

Besides, I don't blame the fastener itself...I wasn't using a breaker bar or anything. It's poor workmanship at the Ford plant (bad anchor nut weld), or it's poor Ford engineering (if the firewall material is just too thin to withstand loosening of a MC screw).

8. mrau92me

mrau92me Member

City, State:
    Decatur, AL
    '02 Mountaineer
    Thanks. That's what I'll plan on doing. I'll just have to get another pair of hands to help me...I'll probably have to drag her out there when she's off work and in between Walking Dead episodes.