An update on the resurection | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

An update on the resurection

**UPDATE** I AM CURED!!!!

We got the transmission back in and everything bolted back up about two weeks ago and i am now ready to give it a clean bill of health, the truck has held up great to both normal street driving, and some heavy foot runs. And just last weekend did just great on a 300 mile drive through the mountains.

There were a few issues that needed solving. The largest being TCI's faulty converter, also some torque converter to flexplate issues. Long story short : TCI converter waranteed, NEW TCI converter checked by my local trans/gear/torque converter shop, found to be faulty NEW (wasnt ballanced, ect ect ect(, converter fixed by my local shop. The aftermarket flexplate was replaced by the taller explorer plate, and the spacing shim/inspection cover was removed to drop the TQ to flexplate measurment right into where it should be. I fabricated a new inspection cover with some alum sheet metal.

Also while she was down i replaced the petcock valve on my radiator, rear wheel hub assembles, control arms, toe links, rear abs sensor (ABS light still on with new ABS sensors... great), and did a coolant flush with a new thermostat.

Limited, i did miss opportunity to get to the strip this year because of this transmission nightmare, but i promose i wil lget you a timeslip early this spring. I will get a decent 0-60 time in before it snows and get it uploaded shortly.

Great news to hear it's coming together. I'm looking forward to that 0-60 video and might make a new one myself. I still haven't put the rear shocks on because I haven't had time, but soon.

This updates "reignites" the flame in me to keep my Explorer. I've been having serious thoughts of either getting a 2010+ SHO, 2011+ Mustang GT or a 1969 Mustang Fastback in the Spring...

I totally feel you man, for me it really came down to that if i sold/traded my explorer in i would take such a huge loss. Me and my other half were able to save more cash than we would have got for trade on my explorer in less than three months, and then we put her behind the wheel of a new focus titanium. I would realy like to own a SHO, AWD + Power + Fuel econ... sounds like a tripple win. AT this point i am seriously considering replacing it as my daily with somthing else, i just cant find somthing i love as much as it.

Anywho, I will get my happy self down to my usual spot for breaking the speed limits of this great land. and get some evidence of the new-found launch power this truck gets with a higher stall TQ today.

Back