• Register Today It's free!

And the time has come...

mshuler009

Reaction score
City, State
Centerville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
So, I have not been an active member of this forum in some time...however there was a time when I was on here frequently, helping, learning, and coming up with new and crazy ideas for my 98 xlt....However Saturday it met it's maker.

I was rear-ended while stopped at a stoplight by a Lexus doing aprox. 60-65 mph with the accelerator pedal still depressed. The driver? An elderly man who overdosed on his heart meds fell asleep at the wheel. I am ok, bruised a few bones in my leg, and a few vertebre at the base of my skull...but all in all I'm doing fine. Here are some pictures of the famous Orange Explorer :exporange and the Lexus that struck me one last time...

103_0061.jpg

103_0060.jpg

103_0072.jpg

103_0059.jpg

103_0062.jpg

103_0065.jpg

103_0066.jpg

103_0063.jpg

103_0075.jpg

103_0081.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch!!!!

I know the Explorer is strong but that Lexus still did some serious damage to the rear end...Not to forget about the damage to you...

I am glad you came out of that ok enough though...

So what is the gameplan? New[er] Explorer? Sherman Tank???

Oh man I am so sorry to hear that. It really sucks that it wasn't even your fault! Not sure if your in a talking mood about it yet, but what is in your future? What ever happened to the old guy, I'm assuming they ruled it his fault? That's terrible..

Jesus Christ dude. When it comes to cosmetic body damage, it looks like you just backed into a wall and the Lexus took a dive off a bridge. I see damage in front - did the hit push you into another car? Glad to hear you're okay.

Holy Hell dude....good to hear that you weren't too severely hurt. Sorry to hear of the misfortune...think someone needs their meds monitored....

Damn, Bro...that is one hell of an impact. Glad you are doing OK, sorry for your truck, that rig looked sweet.

The old man I have no idea about; sadly he went into shock at the time of the collision. I hope he makes it. I am off work for a min of 1 week and physical therapy for an hour everyday. My spine has become severely compressed and I'm bruised all over from being thrown around inside the vehicle. As for a new vehicle....The local sheriff's office has yet to release the report with the elderly man's insurance, so I am car-less (yes, no rental either). I currently work for a Hyundai dealer and am a big believer in drive what you work on....However, this thing kept me very safe. I grew up with Ford, went to school for Ford technology, and have many Ford service credentials. I am currently weighing price/mileage/insurance/safety factors of many vehicles. I am also considering sending these pictures and my story to someone to Ford corporate just to see their reaction. Had I been in...oh let's say a Hyundai Tiburon..it may very well be that I wouldn't by typing this right now...or ever.

Oh, as for the front damage.

I was hit @ 65-ish mph while at a dead stop. I knocked into a 2000-ish camaro which stopped my momentum, only before I was struck again by the Lexus. The Driver's side parking lamp assembly was basically ejected based on shear momentum.

All in all, this has been my first vehicle, the first one I ever worked on, the first one I've ever painted, and the first one I've ever been in a serious collision in. It even traveled to North Carolina with me several times when I used to live there. With nearly 190k miles, original engine, trans, t-case, and diffs....it has served it's useful life, all while protecting me.

Thanks for all the support

-Mike Shuler

Back