1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Android auto GPS

Discussion in '2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology' started by Zodiac, September 6, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Zodiac

Zodiac Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport
    Does anybody know if Android Auto uses the built in antenna (that SYNC3 navigation uses) or if it still uses the GPS in the phone?

Just curious how well this would do on roadtrips where the phone may lose signal and the maps are downloaded.

Also, does anyone know what the amp output is of the usb ports (both under the headunit and in the console?)

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. VandyCWG

VandyCWG New Member

City, State:
    Spring Hill, TN
    2017 Explorer Limited
    Android Auto uses the phone GPS

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mlarv5

Mlarv5 Active Member

City, State:
    Crossville TN
    2017 Platinum Ruby Red
    AA use the GPS from the phone (as stated above) and the cell signal to give you the maps. When it looses the cell signal it is off by a little. I had this happen to me in TN over the summer. I had the Nav in my EX so I just switched to that.

The Amp output is enough to keep the phone charged to what ever level it is at, and maybe even charge it a bit more, but it is no race. I have not looked to see what it is but it will not show charging an iPad so less then 2.0 amps I am betting.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. jhu8

jhu8 Active Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    17 Ford Explorer Limited
    I use AA and Google maps/Waze exclusively for navigation. Hasn't let me down once. The USB ports also charge my phone all the way as well.