Android auto - how do I show full screen waze map? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Android auto - how do I show full screen waze map?

bills

Reaction score
City, State
State COllege PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
1995 Sport
Android auto - how do I show full screen waze map? Id love to know. only filling half the damn screen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats so ridiculous. hopefully just a software update is needed.

Android auto - how do I show full screen waze map? Id love to know. only filling half the damn screen.
Do you have the bigger screen? If so, probably cant because of fords stupid decision to place the screen in portrait, instead of landscape.

So I don't know if you can do this with AA. But with IOS and Carplay we have the same STUPID DAMN PROBLEM!!! Yes I am yelling at YOU FORD! Our upgraded, premium 10.1" display is crippled by the fact you did not re-write code to take advantage of it, you just put it in with some patched up crap to "make it work".

Anyway.. if I disable car play and plug into USB, run Waze... the native Sync integration works great and I get Waze full screen. Basically this screen for me, makes CarPlay completely unusable cramming into such a small section. For that matter our reverse camera view sucks as well. Why would it make sense to ANY Ford designer to give the premium 10.1" screen a smaller, crappier view then the landscape 8.4" screen????

I am really hoping this is just a result of rushing it in before they could write proper code to support the portrait orientation and just coming up with a "make it work" scenario. Hopefully we will see updates that fix this hot mess.

I am really hoping this is just a result of rushing it in before they could write proper code to support the portrait orientation and just coming up with a "make it work" scenario. Hopefully we will see updates that fix this hot mess.

I believe it is Apple's fault for the screen limitations. But if you google iOS 13 Carplay updates, you will find that Apple has enabled dynamic screen scaling. However, it will have to be implemented by Ford.

I believe it is Apple's fault for the screen limitations. But if you google iOS 13 Carplay updates, you will find that Apple has enabled dynamic screen scaling. However, it will have to be implemented by Ford.

Agreed to an extent, and I had also heard the screen scaling will need to be implemented by the vendor using CarPlay. However... the jamming of CarPlay into the upper quadrant of the narrow portrait view is just as bad as the reverse camera view and the rest of the layout on the 10.1... it BLOWS! Pretty much my only complaint so far on my ST.

Agreed to an extent, and I had also heard the screen scaling will need to be implemented by the vendor using CarPlay. However... the jamming of CarPlay into the upper quadrant of the narrow portrait view is just as bad as the reverse camera view and the rest of the layout on the 10.1... it BLOWS! Pretty much my only complaint so far on my ST.

That's why I did not take that option. When I saw that the backup cam is the same size or even smaller then the standard screen. The whole layout is so strange, there is so much blank empty space in the middle of the screen. The only thing that works great is the full screen map.

Anyway.. if I disable car play and plug into USB, run Waze... the native Sync integration works great and I get Waze full screen. Basically this screen for me, makes CarPlay completely unusable cramming into such a small section. For that matter our reverse camera view sucks as well. Why would it make sense to ANY Ford designer to give the premium 10.1" screen a smaller, crappier view then the landscape 8.4" screen????

Totally agree with you on all this - why would you use such a small section of screen? Can you expand on what you did to get this full screen with WAZE on IOS? Are you doing screen mirroring?

Totally agree with you on all this - why would you use such a small section of screen? Can you expand on what you did to get this full screen with WAZE on IOS? Are you doing screen mirroring?

I can't speak of how it works on Android, but with IOS it's easy. The Waze integration is native to Sync 3.3 and 3.4 (our version) might also work natively with earlier 3.x versions but can't confirm that.

Anyway, in IOS case you disable CarPlay for the device and then plug it in with USB, it won't work over Bluetooth on IOS. Fire up Waze on your device and Applink will jump in and show Waze as a Mobile App ready to be used. Again.. if you try to do this through CarPlay you will have Waze jammed up in the upper 1/3 limited by the confines of that upper section and CarPlay.

Given the limitation of CarPlay in the upper 1/3 I have completely disabled it. I feel it's useless now, which really stinks as I feel the phone integration, Spotify, Maps etc. etc. are much better with CarPlay. Worked great in my 2018 F150.

The bummer is as a Spotify user, without CarPlay we no longer will have the tight integration with the ability to find music, rate songs (thumb up/down etc.). For whatever reason Spotify stopped supporting the integration with Applink (Ford's Sync integration application) in early 2018. So without CarPlay... spotify use is crippled.

Interestingly enough... Pandora integration works not only on USB but ALSO on bluetooth. I have to have Pandora open on my phone and it will show up in Mobile Apps without needing to be plugged in. So I can have my iPhone on the wireless charger and still get full Pandora functionality... thumbs ratings, browsing personal content etc. So clearly the Bluetooth integration of these applications is possible... since Pandora is doing it. Would be great if Waze, Spotify and others could work like this.

That's why I did not take that option. When I saw that the backup cam is the same size or even smaller then the standard screen. The whole layout is so strange, there is so much blank empty space in the middle of the screen. The only thing that works great is the full screen map.

Trust me if I could have gotten the Technology Package and specify "give me the landscape 8.4" screen" I would have. But I really wanted the MultiContour seats after having them in my 18 F150. Also thought the Sound system upgrade would be better. And of course during test drives, you don't really realize the limitations that currently exist in the 10.1 Portrait mode. It's not until you drive it for a couple of days, you do the "Ohh ****.. what's this crap?"

Trust me if I could have gotten the Technology Package and specify "give me the landscape 8.4" screen" I would have. But I really wanted the MultiContour seats after having them in my 18 F150. Also thought the Sound system upgrade would be better. And of course during test drives, you don't really realize the limitations that currently exist in the 10.1 Portrait mode. It's not until you drive it for a couple of days, you do the "Ohh ****.. what's this crap?"

You know that we have the same seats in the ST, MultiCoutour or not, who knows. Seats are decent.

The only difference with tech package is 2 additional speakers in front and a portrait orientated screen. Seats are the same.

You know that we have the same seats in the ST, MultiCoutour or not, who knows. Seats are decent.

The only difference with tech package is 2 additional speakers in front and a portrait orientated screen. Seats are the same.

You have massaging seats without the Tech package?

You have massaging seats without the Tech package?

I have not tried massaging seats. I hope I have them included. I test drove an ST with portrait and those massaging seats was a decent option.

I have not tried massaging seats. I hope I have them included. I test drove an ST with portrait and those massaging seats was a decent option.

That is what the Multi-Contour refers to. Yes the seats look the same, but the MC seats have 3 lumbars (low, mid, high) that can all be adjusted separately... which is a must for my Wife. Those 3 along with the seat cushion bladders all expand and contract during massage mode. If you have Massage the lumbar adjustment on the side of your seat will have a little button in the middle.. when pressed it will bring up the Massage Seat mode. You can also see the message/seat settings from the Sync settings screen.

The seats are not the same. You only get the massaging seats with the Tech package.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back