1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Annoying Banging

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by hitman17mk, December 6, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. hitman17mk

hitman17mk New Member

City, State:
      Southwick, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Eddie Bauer
      i wasnt sure where to put this, sorry if i put it in the wrong place, ok heres the deal, i just redid all my shock seeing how most of the old ones where rotting away, i got 3 done and snaped the end of the stud of the fourth off, and stripped the top of the 4th one too, so i rode around on 3 new shocks and the old 4th one for 2 weeks had no problems, so i went to a buddie had him get the the old one off put the new one in and just welded the end of the stud back on to make sure the shock wouldn't slide off, but now when i go over bumps some hits hard liek a ball jpoint or somthing, liek clunk clunk, on the old one if i would go over a bump turning right going over leik 35 mhp it would do it, but now it does it all the time and it is annoying and i dont wont something to break, oh btw it is doing this on the front drivers side, LOL, so if some one could help i'd appricate it

thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ExploderOwner

ExploderOwner New Member

City, State:
      East Lyme, CT
      '93 XLT
      It sounds like a wheel bearing. Don't worry, it's a cheap fix. To check your wheel bearings, jack up the front of the car and grab your front tire on the bottom with one hand and on the top with the other. If you notice a significant wiggle (more that a millimeter shift), then you need new bearings. One of mine is getting replaced right now, and I had the same symptoms.

4. ExploderOwner

ExploderOwner New Member

City, State:
      East Lyme, CT
      '93 XLT
      Also, if you don't fix a worn bearing your wheel could literally fall off. That's no fun.