Another 4.0L SOHC is no good.

DirtyDog

I will not!
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Sport
Well it all started a few weeks ago when I was hauling my dirt bike home from the mountains. When I would accelerate going up hill at highway speeds, the engine would make a rattling noise. Not very loud but I knew it was there.

The alternator is only a month old so I doubted it was that. I changed the idler pulley and the belt tensioner in hopes it may solve the problem, as they seemed fairly worn out. Driving around town I didn't notice any noise so I thought I may have solved the problem.

Last Friday I was heading out of town to go dirt biking again and the first hill I came to on the highway, the rattling was back but way worse. I didn't get 2km past the hill and the truck died. I tried re-starting it with no luck.

Got it home and managed to get it started, but it idled really rough and was rattling still. Threw on the code reader and got a P0305 code. Cylinder #5 misfire. I figured a bad coil or plug could cause the rough idle. Pulled the plug and this is what I found. Needless to say, its done.

Thing that really weird is that the lady who owned it before me worked at the local dealer and had every single recommended service done to it since she bought it new. She even switched to synthetic oil. 05 Eddie Bauer 109,000KM/67,700miles

photo3.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Pardon the dumb question but is that evidince of contact you've got there?

That blows Gary. What's next?

Yes, something pushed the ground into the electrode and bent the electrode.

As for what I'm gonna do now, the replacement engine was stripped of it's unneeded components last night and should be back up and running next week.

Back