Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Another Blower Motor Thread

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by jlrohio, June 3, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jlrohio

jlrohio Active Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    99 Ford Explorer XL
    Manual Blower Motor Controls

Is this a blower motor problem or a resistor problem?

It all started when the blower motor would not come on at all, at any speed.

I originally thought it may have been a fuse but could not find any blown fuses. After inspecting the fuses, I just happened to start the Explorer back up and the blower motor once again started working.

A few days later, the same thing happens and the blower motor will not turn on, on any of the speeds. So, I checked the fuses again (hey, it worked once! :thumbsup:) and there were no blown fuses (again). I started the Explorer and the fan once again works!

:confused:

A few days later the blower motor does not come on (at any speed) for the third time. So, I reset the fuses and this time it did not temp. fix the issue.

After searching around the ExplorerForum website, I start inspecting the actual blower motor and tapped on the front of the blower motor and the fan start humming away and it is working again! (BTW, key was in ACC mode).

The last few days, I have had to resort to opening the hood and tapping the motor each and everytime I wanted to have air conditioning blowing.

So, here's a video of me tapping the motor and you can hear it start up. What's your best guess as to the issue??

Do you think the Blower Motor is going bad or that the resistor on the blower motor is going bad??? I'll have to see about removing it all this weekend.

https://youtu.be/Luh8IFu6FHg

Last edited: June 3, 2015
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. chefduane

chefduane Texas Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Plano, TX.
    None: SOLD 9/16
    Buy motor and resistor. Put the motor in and if that fixes the problem, you're done. Return the resistor. If it doesn't, then put the resistor in and most likely you've solved your problem. I wouldn't mess with trying to diagnose components that are cheap enough and easily replaced. I understand not wanting to just throw parts at something, but they're both relatively inexpensive and most likely will fix your problem. And you get to spend an hour or so working on your Explorer!

4. jlrohio

jlrohio Active Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    I will probably end up doing that in the end but I was hoping that someone with the same experience could tell me what fix applied to them versus throwing everything plus the kitchen sink at it approach.

In all of the blower motor threads that I read, most were geared towards the fan only working (or not working) at various fan speeds based upon a blown resistor. I could not find anything similar to mine whereas the blower motor would work at all speeds but would just intermittently decide when it wanted to work and an occassional tap on the motor housing may (or may not) get it running again.

5. crunchie_frog

crunchie_frog Active Member

City, State:
    Johnson City, TN
    Multiple 99-00 5.0 AWD
    Likely the motor, there are lots of posts on this forum (and elsewhere) about tapping a bad motor to get them to work (for a little while) for starters, fuel pumps, blower motor...

6. MAS Tequila

MAS Tequila Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Boca Raton FL
    2000 Mounty 4WD 5.0
    It's the motor. I just had to change mine last night.

Same issues.

MT

7. chefduane

City, State:
    Plano, TX.
    Sorry, I should have prefaced my statement with the fact that my Ex was showing the same symptoms yours is. I didn't go through the diagnostics you have. I just went ahead and swapped the motor and resistor. Problem solved. So I guess I did not determine exactly which it was, and I probably swapped out a resistor that was still good. To some degree I guess I just bought a little peace of mind.

8. jlrohio

jlrohio Active Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    Thanks for sharing your experience MT,

I'll probably start with the motor swap.

If that does not work, I'll start swapping out parts 1 by 1.

Yes you may have...but a good investment none the less! :chug:

Ah, the ole' "hit it with a hammer trick" on the starter...good point!

I remember years ago having to do that on my first vehicle (a 67 Mercury Cougar!) a few times until I could afford the $30 to take the starter down to a local shop for them to rebuild it (back in those days, starters were rebuilt locally - not imported from China).

9. jlrohio

jlrohio Active Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    :)

10. jlrohio

jlrohio Active Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    :usa:

11. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    It's not the resistor, if it were then it wouldn't start working again, tap or no tap. Could be a corroded connector instead, inspect the connector contacts.

12. jlrohio

jlrohio Active Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    I guess it was the motor that was bad.
    I changed it out with another from advanced auto.
    $30 out the door w/a $10 coupon code.

I got my son to help me, after making him watch the youtube video online. This was a good easy repair for him to do; unbolting & removing various components (ex. windshield washer fluid tank and coolant fluid tank), removing the blower motor, removing the old fan blade, cleaning everything up, & resassembly.

It took about 1 hr total. Just in time for the next heat wave!!

One question though. There was a fine powder dust, almost resembling black toner dust that came out of the motor housing when shaken and tapped. Does anyone know what this dust was from? Was it the signs of the motor basically frying?

13. chefduane

City, State:
    Plano, TX.
    More than likely carbon dust from the brushes wearing against the commutator. Signs of a motor just being worn out and used up. Good to hear the new once fixed the problem.

14. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    Brush wear dust is normal. The question is whether the brushes were toast, lubrication gone, or motor winding shorted.

I might be delving into this more than someone who just *wants it fixed* wants to go into... It's not like they supply info on where to get new brushes (or whatever) if that's the problem, but it's a shame we keep having to pay dozens of dollars for $2 faults.

15. Bobmbx

Bobmbx Active Member

City, State:
    King George, VA
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    Did you take the opportunity with the bird cage out to clean/vacuum the AC coils? The blower side of the coils are perfect traps for leaves and dirt, and are a source of that "AC smell" when you first turn it on.

16. jlrohio

jlrohio Active Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    Yes I did. I only had one small piece of debris in there. The lower left corner of the a/c coils was caked in dust/dirt. I vacummed that as best as I could and took and old toothbrush to it to get the rest.
    I then sprayed 409 on it to complete the weak cleaning I gave it.

Now I have a little 409 smell when I turn on the fan but I really don't mind the that smell and it will be gone in a few days.

Sorry I did not get pics...it would have helped those in the future with this repair to take advantage of the cleaning.

As to the bird cage, I cleaned that up really really well.

17. jlrohio

jlrohio Active Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    Just wanted to update...
    Today (4 years later), the fan motor would not turn on. So, I tapped the motor and it came back on! Guess I have another blower motor going bad.

Thank-goodness for Advance Auto's Lifetime warranty...Just gotta take my receipt (again, thank-goodness for Advance Auto's online system that keeps track of your old purchases - even 4 years old) down to Advance and buy another one. Glad this is not a difficult repair that involves removing lots of stuff....but there's stuff to remove regardless!

Now, I just have to get the younger kid out there and show him how to do this repair and let him turn a wrench!!!

Ah, Fords....they're great for teaching kids how to work on cars!!! :snicker:

18. 1998Exp

1998Exp Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Seattle WA
    98 Limited V8 AWD
    Ford vehicles have their flaws, but this opportunity to teach kids comes from buying cheap after-market parts...